PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Finally dialed in my vinyl set up. I built the bureau and then took it apart and built it again! 1976-77 era Pioneer turntable and receiver. 1975 Advent speakers. I also have an amp to push the signal out to some speakers on the deck (speaker cable through the floor, under the house, up through the deck). We get a lot of enjoyment out of this music machine ;)

IMG_1292.jpegIMG_1293.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Love the cabinet!!!!

My Pioneer SX 850 receiver is still my link to the past! Otherwise, although the older stuff I had was okay I upgraded to a Rega P2 turntable and some Wharfedale Linton 85th speakers - these speakers are the best I’ve ever had and were meant for vinyl and music of all kinds but rock and jazz are magical through them!

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Love the cabinet!!!!

My Pioneer SX 850 receiver is still my link to the past! Otherwise, although the older stuff I had was okay I upgraded to a Rega P2 turntable and some Wharfedale Linton 85th speakers - these speakers are the best I’ve ever had and were meant for vinyl and music of all kinds but rock and jazz are magical through them!

I love the vintage stuff. However, this old equipment needs a lot of love and care. The new stuff (your equipment included) that is designed for vinyl is legit. No doubt about it.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Love the cabinet!!!!

Love my Rega Planar 3 turntable. Vinyl and tubes are the only way to go!!!!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Love my Rega Planar 3 turntable. Vinyl and tubes are the only way to go!!!!
I had a Planar 3 but sold it as it was no better than my Kenwood 5066. That's not to say the P3 is bad, it's not, it's just that the old Kenwood was built when vinyl was king and the competition was huge and I saw/heard no improvement from the P3.

I used an Ortofon on both so the comparisons were fair.

I also have a vintage Pioneer and Technics up in the attic.

Regards,

Jay.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I love the vintage stuff. However, this old equipment needs a lot of love and care. The new stuff (your equipment included) that is designed for vinyl is legit. No doubt about it.
Yep, for now and hopefully for a few years, lucky to have a guy not all that far away who knows his way around 70s/80s equipment and can do just about anything and doesn’t charge enough, lol - the SX 850 had a complete run through on the internals about 4 years ago and hasn’t put a foot wrong or had a hum, buzz, issue since. It won’t run a new CD player/recorder without issue but I have modern receivers for that just not as convenient to transfer from LP to CD, but rarely do it.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Amazing setup! I love the bureau and the lighting for the LPs. Some nice equipment you've got there as well. What are some of your favorite records you own?

I used to be big into vinyl, but sadly ended up selling most of my records and all of my equipment over the years due to moving and what-not. I've been wanting to break back into it, though. Here's a pic I found of my old setup from about 8 or 9 years ago... it was legit! Though I don't know if I'd go black and red again. Haha.

IMG_1650.JPG

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Amazing setup! I love the bureau and the lighting for the LPs. Some nice equipment you've got there as well. What are some of your favorite records you own?

I used to be big into vinyl, but sadly ended up selling most of my records and all of my equipment over the years due to moving and what-not. I've been wanting to break back into it, though. Here's a pic I found of my old setup from about 8 or 9 years ago... it was legit! Though I don't know if I'd go black and red again. Haha.

View attachment 241163

Looks great! My vinyl collection is eclectic... Soul/Funk, 80s Alt, Crooners/Big Band, Jazz, Pop (mostly 1960s-1980s). I listen to a lot of current stuff too, but do Apple Music or Spotify for that.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Marantz is hot these days.
I just bought a mint Marantz UD-8004 dating from 2010.

The guy I bought it from paid £2,000 for it back then (I have the receipt) but barely used it before packing it up to move house where it stayed packed until June this year.

He calculated it had cost him £40 for every hour he used it (as was shown on the screenshots....51 hours total use) and I paid him £500 for it so he suffered a huge loss. He described it as in museum condition and he was right!

It is one heck of a disc player (ALL discs bar 3D) and SACD discs sound damned wonderful from it.

Currently wired up to a Yamaha RX-V1400 but I have an Aventage 3060 sat in its box waiting to be installed (too heavy for me to pick up).

Oh and I last week treated myself to a set of new Monitor Audio 300 series towers which are a huge improvement on my old Eltax cabs.

Regards,

Jay.