PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I just bought a mint Marantz UD-8004 dating from 2010.

The guy I bought it from paid £2,000 for it back then (I have the receipt) but barely used it before packing it up to move house where it stayed packed until June this year.

He calculated it had cost him £40 for every hour he used it (as was shown on the screenshots....51 hours total use) and I paid him £500 for it so he suffered a huge loss. He described it as in museum condition and he was right!

It is one heck of a disc player (ALL discs bar 3D) and SACD discs sound damned wonderful from it.

Currently wired up to a Yamaha RX-V1400 but I have an Aventage 3060 sat in its box waiting to be installed (too heavy for me to pick up).

Oh and I last week treated myself to a set of new Monitor Audio 300 series towers which are a huge improvement on my old Eltax cabs.

Regards,

Jay.

Nice, Jay!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My old McIntosh MAC1900 is currently being restored to factory-new conditon. When it returns it will be driving a pair of original Advents, and fed by my old, but trusty, Technics SL-1300 direct-drive turntable, Sony five-disc CD player, Akai cassette deck, and also linked to my PC for on-line music. I still have my original Discwasher D3 record-cleaner, too, a must for those vinyl treasures.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
My old McIntosh MAC1900 is currently being restored to factory-new conditon. When it returns it will be driving a pair of original Advents, and fed by my old, but trusty, Technics SL-1300 direct-drive turntable, Sony five-disc CD player, Akai cassette deck, and also linked to my PC for on-line music. I still have my original Discwasher D3 record-cleaner, too, a must for those vinyl treasures.

Sounds amazing.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

I’m jealous. The diskwasher …

Reactions: Nevaditude

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Looks great! My vinyl collection is eclectic... Soul/Funk, 80s Alt, Crooners/Big Band, Jazz, Pop (mostly 1960s-1980s). I listen to a lot of current stuff too, but do Apple Music or Spotify for that.
Nice. Yeah, it's hard to find good pressings of contemporary music. I remember having one record from a newer album that sounded like a 120kbps MP3 was used to make the vinyl...

@Humblepipe I really like the lighting under the cabinet. I need something like that for mine. Well thought out.

My 1956 Motorola in a Drexel cabinet. 60w 6L6 power amp.
View attachment 241050View attachment 241051View attachment 241052
My wife won't let me, but I have been wanting to get one of those and gut it (all except the turn table) and add back in more modern speakers and electronics. I could have had my grandfathers but my wife put her foot down. We just don't have room.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I try not to be that guy but.. I wonder how digitally that record was recorded.
I was born to be “that guy”:

Digital recording and processing technology is so good now, it can be indistinguishable from analog except for analog’s much higher noise floor and even the noise has been integrated into many digital audio processors to make them sound more analog.
If a modern record sounds bad, it’s likely not the tools that were used, but the person using the tools.

In audio recording and processing, “it’s the wizard, not the wand”.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I was born to be “that guy”:

Digital recording and processing technology is so good now, it can be indistinguishable from analog except for analog’s much higher noise floor and even the noise has been integrated into many digital audio processors to make them sound more analog.
If a modern record sounds bad, it’s likely not the tools that were used, but the person using the tools.

In audio recording and processing, “it’s the wizard, not the wand”.

This is an ancient debate. When I played the electric guitar, it was a similar discussion with guitar amps. I always favored vintage tube amps... Vox, Fender... paired with a vintage Telecaster or Rickenbacker. I am still there with vinyl equipment, but acknowledge that digital equipment is also a fantastic option. I don't want to miss an opportunity to celebrate the joy that collecting/listening to vinyl can bring. Vintage equipment or not, vinyl records have added such a positive impact to my life... I hope vinyl has been an added blessing to your life as well.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Nice. Yeah, it's hard to find good pressings of contemporary music. I remember having one record from a newer album that sounded like a 120kbps MP3 was used to make the vinyl...
AcousticSounds is my go to. Analog Productions and Impex never disappoint. I'm also fond of the Blue Note "Tone Poet" series. Surprisingly, and affordable, the Blue Note "Classic" releases have been impressive.
Lots of labels putting out quality pressings, just gotta watch for the snake oil (we know who I'm talking about).

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
This is an ancient debate. When I played the electric guitar, it was a similar discussion with guitar amps. I always favored vintage tube amps... Vox, Fender... paired with a vintage Telecaster or Rickenbacker. I am still there with vinyl equipment, but acknowledge that digital equipment is also a fantastic option. I don't want to miss an opportunity to celebrate the joy that collecting/listening to vinyl can bring. Vintage equipment or not, vinyl records have added such a positive impact to my life... I hope vinyl has been an added blessing to your life as well.
I'm a huge fan of tube gear but yes modern digital modeling has come a long way. It's now possible to get good tone with digital gear. But it wasn't always so, until the last decade or so digital amps were hot garbage. I'm a Fender and Ampeg guy myself, and I do love my tube amps but I'll no longer argue that tube is better than digital.

My homemade Tele and my 1968 Bassman with a later 2x12 cab
6 (2).jpg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
@Humblepipe I really like the lighting under the cabinet. I need something like that for mine. Well thought out.

My wife won't let me, but I have been wanting to get one of those and gut it (all except the turn table) and add back in more modern speakers and electronics. I could have had my grandfathers but my wife put her foot down. We just don't have room.
I did a repair/mod on a console for a coworker, I added a bluetooth module to their grandparents 1960's Magnavox mini console. They wanted their kids to be able enjoy Gram & Gramps old stereo.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
I'm a huge fan of tube gear but yes modern digital modeling has come a long way. It's now possible to get good tone with digital gear. But it wasn't always so, until the last decade or so digital amps were hot garbage. I'm a Fender and Ampeg guy myself, and I do love my tube amps but I'll no longer argue that tube is better than digital.

My homemade Tele and my 1968 Bassman with a later 2x12 cab
View attachment 241487
Lovely amp and guitar - my brother made his own tele - actually I think it was supposed to be the earlier one that I've forgotten the name of! Fender made amazing amps. Here's my 1973 quad reverb:16926365567689080196943873809730.jpg