PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Thought this might be an appropriate place to show off my latest find. It's an Electrohome Apollo 711. Built in Kitchener Ontario in 1971. It was only sold in Canada from 1970 -1972. I was driving home the other day and a lady was bringing it to the curb. She said no one bought it at a garage sale the week prior, and she was sick of dealing with lowballers on Facebook marketplace.

It works! I needed to get a pair of speaker wire adapters from Amazon, and to find a pair of speakers for it, and I'm debating whether to refurbish the turntable system. It has a British-made system of some sort. I thought I could sell it for a few bucks, but the Mrs. has taken a shine to it and wants to keep it downstairs.

View attachment 243242
That reminds me of my Weber Kettle Grill. The main problem is what to do with the lid!

Attachments

• 26-weber-grill.jpg
    26-weber-grill.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Thought this might be an appropriate place to show off my latest find. It's an Electrohome Apollo 711. Built in Kitchener Ontario in 1971. It was only sold in Canada from 1970 -1972. I was driving home the other day and a lady was bringing it to the curb. She said no one bought it at a garage sale the week prior, and she was sick of dealing with lowballers on Facebook marketplace.

It works! I needed to get a pair of speaker wire adapters from Amazon, and to find a pair of speakers for it, and I'm debating whether to refurbish the turntable system. It has a British-made system of some sort. I thought I could sell it for a few bucks, but the Mrs. has taken a shine to it and wants to keep it downstairs.

View attachment 243242View attachment 243243View attachment 243244View attachment 243245

This is one of those magical moments (they never happen for me LOL). The cool-factor on that piece is through the roof.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That is so cool. Looks like something from The Jetson's. Nice find Mike.
I saw her carrying it and that crossed my mind as well. Jetsons or original series Star Trek.
The main problem is what to do with the lid!
Found out it does this;

20230829_182520.jpg
Here is some information on the space design piece maybe worth a look, especially what modern cartridge if you want to swap it. At least try a new needle to protect your records.
Much appreciated! I have a beautiful Dual to play records on, but maybe in the dark winter days I might try to freshen up the turntable with new bits.

I found a former eBay deal from years ago in Great Britain for around 500 £

Wow!

This one sold for $1200 CDN!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm all digital but still have my LP's.

This popped up on the TV show "Dark Winds" last week (great show, set in the early 70's), sitting on a TV console, with a rotating rack of 8-track tapes.

1693396208689.jpeg

I did upgrade to this Bluetooth receiver adaptor, it allows me to play FLAC files, and I can notice a difference between MP3's.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm all digital but still have my LP's.

This popped up on the TV show "Dark Winds" last week (great show, set in the early 70's), sitting on a TV console, with a rotating rack of 8-track tapes.

View attachment 243444

I did upgrade to this Bluetooth receiver adaptor, it allows me to play FLAC files, and I can notice a difference between MP3's.

Love that 8-track tape player. I failed to mention that I also have a blue tooth set up on my 70's gear that allows me to play digital music when I want to...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Thought I might ask you guys about this one.

This is the bottom of the Apolo 611 I had pictured above. I got these speaker wire adapters for the base, but they stick out too far, and the stereo doesn't sit properly with them in. I'm also worried about breaking an input or something on the base.

On the plus side, both speaker channels work, and doesn't sound too bad from the Klipsch R-14M speakers I stole from the Marantz.

20230903_140255.jpg20230903_140302.jpg

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

This is the bottom of the Apolo 611 I had pictured above. I got these speaker wire adapters for the base, but they stick out too far, and the stereo doesn't sit properly with them in. I'm also worried about breaking an input or something on the base.

On the plus side, both speaker channels work, and doesn't sound too bad from the Klipsch R-14M speakers I stole from the Marantz.

View attachment 244471View attachment 244473

Use something like these, off course yo need to solder the wires to the RCA connector, maybe a drawback.

21C3BD05-8996-461E-86D0-B37218E2C8AC.png

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

View attachment 244471View attachment 244473

I don’t know where to get those in the US maybe here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/174-0252-E?qs=xePrLHCjqYuxesZ3E39l2g==

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I married my wife, I got rid of all my vinyls. Replaced them with CDs. I still don't understand the love of vinyls. OK, vinyl sounds warmer, but with software, digital aren't all that bad. And no snap, crackle, pop.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Use something like these, off course yo need to solder the wires to the RCA connector, maybe a drawback.

View attachment 244603

That's definitely something I need, with more of an angle on there. I was also looking at something like this, with a plug built into existing cable.

71H+tRh5G+L._SL1500_.jpg

I still don't understand the love of vinyls

Then this probably isn't the thread for you ;)

vinyl sounds warmer, but with software, digital aren't all that bad.
That's kind of it. With technology changing how music is consumed, going from CDs to digital streaming, we are still chasing that 'warm' vinyl sound.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
When I married my wife, I got rid of all my vinyls. Replaced them with CDs. I still don't understand the love of vinyls. OK, vinyl sounds warmer, but with software, digital aren't all that bad. And no snap, crackle, pop.

Unfortunately most of the CD players can’t really deliver, what’s written on the CD. The output stages are poorly designed and often sonically overcorrected in middle class players.

Some of my LPs played on my record player are better than same stuff on CD, not much crackle on those.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
That's definitely something I need, with more of an angle on there. I was also looking at something like this, with a plug built into existing cable.

View attachment 244626

Then this probably isn't the thread for you ;)

That's kind of it. With technology changing how music is consumed, going from CDs to digital streaming, we are still chasing that 'warm' vinyl sound.

That’s also nice but still missing the angled connector. Just measure the height you need to put the connector with the wire under the bottom of the enclosure to make shure it’s fitting under.