PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
So I was gifted a vinyl player from a friend who thought I might enjoy it but have no idea how to set it up. What else do I need besides speakers?
You can pick up a pair if powered speakers or a receiver and speakers. Depending on what turn table you have you may need a phono preamp. I can point you in the right direction if you want.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The worst part about moving is lugging my Rubbermaid bins full of records around.
Since I was downsizing, the record collection went, except for one box of LPs that have special meaning for me. About half went to the nephew of one of my oldest friends, who's a composer and the rest went to my local Discovery store. Tried to donate them to the Brand Library, but they're not accepting any more vinyl. I was surprised that classical records have little to no collector value and that no dealer would give ma a nickel for them. We are becoming a culture of thighs.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Since I was downsizing, the record collection went, except for one box of LPs that have special meaning for me. About half went to the nephew of one of my oldest friends, who's a composer and the rest went to my local Discovery store. Tried to donate them to the Brand Library, but they're not accepting any more vinyl. I was surprised that classical records have little to no collector value and that no dealer would give ma a nickel for them. We are becoming a culture of thighs.

No doubt. My daughter is a classically trained musician, so I am required to have a substantial number of classical records on hand at all times LOL. She keeps me cultured.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
In a previous post to this thread, I noted that my vintage McIntosh MAC 1900 receiver had been sent out for complete restoration. I purchased it used nearly 20 years ago, and, as the old saying goes, it had been ridden hard and put away wet.

It took a long time, but I received it earlier this week, just put it back into service, and all I can say is WOW, it sounds phenomenal! The work was performed by Bob at Bob The Tech Audio in New York state, and included replacement of all the capacitors, repair of some non-functioning switches, cleaning of potentiometers and switches, relamping, and alignment of the FM and AM tuners, among other things.

As I wrote to him this evening, my ears are now VERY happy. If you have high-end audio equipment in need of service, I can, based upon my experience, recommend him highly. Bob The Tech Audio.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some Frank Sinatra...

I have heard nothing but great things about the McIntosh MAC 1900. I understood they are NOT cheap!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Basic, intro turntable which will work just fine if you have vinyl you haven't listened to for years, or want to start seeing if it's something you want to get into. Like stated previously by others, you have options - powered speakers or regular speakers with an amp or receiver. If you have an existing home entertainment system it will likely plug into the receiver for that and you don't need to worry about something separate if you want to use that and the speakers you use for that system.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Not quite audiophile but to have some fun listening to music it’s okay. It’s an up to date record player with a built in and switchable preamp to connect to any stereo system or via usb directly to any computer. Have fun!
Basic, intro turntable which will work just fine if you have vinyl you haven't listened to for years, or want to start seeing if it's something you want to get into. Like stated previously by others, you have options - powered speakers or regular speakers with an amp or receiver. If you have an existing home entertainment system it will likely plug into the receiver for that and you don't need to worry about something separate if you want to use that and the speakers you use for that system.
Thanks for the reply, guys! I don’t have a home system (or really anything) but I’d just like to start playing some records on it. Sounds like all I need are speakers, and probably lower end ones since this is a basic turntable. Any recommendations?

Reactions: UB 40 and bangzoom

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Thanks for the reply, guys! I don’t have a home system (or really anything) but I’d just like to start playing some records on it. Sounds like all I need are speakers, and probably lower end ones since this is a basic turntable. Any recommendations?
I’d start with Crutchfield - lots of options and you can talk to one of their folks on the phone - pretty low pressure last time I had a question.

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I wouldn't start to low end on speakers. That table is not entry level. Its a solid starter table. I would recommend a powered speaker by Klipsch or something similar. You could pick these up and also be able to play your phone over them also. You could later add a sub if you want more low end. I know a lot of audiophiles will talk crap about Klipsch but i wouldn't listen to them until your willing to spend thousands of dollars.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

No speakers alone won’t do the job, there must be something to amplify the signal either a stereo integrated amplifier or receiver or active loudspeakers with a built in amp. A phono-preamplifier is just to equalise the RIAA frequency curve and get a few Milliwatt.

(Estate)-Loudspeakers you can get used in the bay as well as amplifiers for not so much money.

I wouldn’t buy anything new, much to expensive. Rather build my own loudspeakers.

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Your local Craigslist or FB marketplace might be a good place to hunt for deals. Also, you might consider acquiring a Bluetooth receiver, which will allow you to connect your phone and music app to your system. I recently acquired THIS ONE (as an example).

Reactions: AroEnglish

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I agree with looking at the used market but just be aware that a lot of the older speakers haven been rode hard and the cones may not have any life left in them. Worse case is you could find someone to re-cone them (hard to find that anymore) or just buy new components to replace the broken ones. I’m not a “audiophile” but do work in the professional audio industry.