PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
No speakers alone won’t do the job, there must be something to amplify the signal either a stereo integrated amplifier or receiver or active loudspeakers with a built in amp. A phono-preamplifier is just to equalise the RIAA frequency curve and get a few Milliwatt.

(Estate)-Loudspeakers you can get used in the bay as well as amplifiers for not so much money.

I wouldn’t buy anything new, much to expensive. Rather build my own loudspeakers.
Pretty sure all he needs is powered speakers if that’s all he wants. It’s designed for them.

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Basic, intro turntable which will work just fine if you have vinyl you haven't listened to for years, or want to start seeing if it's something you want to get into. Like stated previously by others, you have options - powered speakers or regular speakers with an amp or receiver. If you have an existing home entertainment system it will likely plug into the receiver for that and you don't need to worry about something separate if you want to use that and the speakers you use for that system.
That’s exactly what I did with my Audio Technica turntable. Works great!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I wouldn't start to low end on speakers. That table is not entry level. Its a solid starter table. I would recommend a powered speaker by Klipsch or something similar. You could pick these up and also be able to play your phone over them also. You could later add a sub if you want more low end. I know a lot of audiophiles will talk crap about Klipsch but i wouldn't listen to them until your willing to spend thousands of dollars.
Big Klipsch fan here

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have heard nothing but great things about the McIntosh MAC 1900. I understood they are NOT cheap!

The MAC 1900 was manufactured by McIntosh Laboratories from 1973 - 1978, and initially had a list price of $799.00, later upped to $949.00. Here is a link to the receiver's page on the legacy products section of McIntosh's Website.

McIntosh was founded in 1949 by Frank McIntosh and Gordon Gow. According to an article by Bob Ankosko on the www.soundandvision.com Website, " As the head of sales, Gow pushed for McIntosh to come out with a receiver in the ’60s but “Mr. McIntosh said no,” relates Ken Zelin, historian and director of U.S. sales training at McIntosh. “Receivers involved some degree of compromise, so year after year, he overruled Gordon.”

Finally, the owners came up with a solution they both could live with.

“They would build a receiver in the McIntosh factory but not call it a McIntosh,” Zelin reveals. “They formed a division called MAC Audio Company to market the receiver. It was built in the McIntosh Lab factory and sold through McIntosh Lab dealers but if you look at the receiver and its manual, both say MAC instead of McIntosh. That way people knew not to expect it to be 100% as good as McIntosh separate components.”

As Mr. Shakespeare once said, "What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...," and this receiver IS sweet!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
As long as you’re willing to dive with into a selmade project I would recommend these open baffle bipolar loudspeakers. They snipe away 10000 dollars speakers for about under 800 bucks, believe me.

I use them in my living room, a friend compared them to the quad esl sound wise, though completely different concept. Am not dreaming anymore of the next better speakers.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
As long as you’re willing to dive with into a selmade project I would recommend these open baffle bipolar loudspeakers. They snipe away 10000 dollars speakers for about under 800 bucks, believe me.

I use them in my living room, a friend compared them to the quad esl sound wise, though completely different concept. Am not dreaming anymore of the next better speakers.
Interesting design on the open back for the midrange. I wouldn’t think it’s the most effective design but then again for home audio most amps produce plenty of power.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I am just ressurecting my old setup after 25 years.
I am into Quad gear having a q22/q11 ,33/303 and 34/306 setups and JR149 and quad esl57 speakers.The turntable is a Torens TD145 MK2.
The only modern part is a Cambridge Audio streamer.
Pity I got rid of most of my vinyl 20 years ago when I moved.I took it to the dump as charity shops didnt want it

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I am just ressurecting my old setup after 25 years.
I am into Quad gear having a q22/q11 ,33/303 and 34/306 setups and JR149 and quad esl57 speakers.The turntable is a Torens TD145 MK2.
The only modern part is a Cambridge Audio streamer.
Pity I got rid of most of my vinyl 20 years ago when I moved.I took it to the dump as charity shops didnt want it

You are not alone on that score, Paul. Vinyl is a funny thing. Some of my most prized albums are not worth anything in terms of dollars. Here's to hoping you recover some of your favorite records soon...

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
You are not alone on that score, Paul. Vinyl is a funny thing. Some of my most prized albums are not worth anything in terms of dollars. Here's to hoping you recover some of your favorite records soon...
already started,just bought all of the Led Zepplin albumns again,Jethro Tull next month,may take more than one month as there are so many and not enough spare cash😔

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Although I mentioned them months ago, since this thread is still going (!), I’ll give another little mention to the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversaries. Spent a lot of time a few years ago trying to figure out what to replace my 30+ year Polk Audios with (one of the woofers repaired with duct tape). The Wharfedales are called “bookshelf” but I’ve never had anything resembling a bookshelf that could hold these, lol. Paired with my vintage and restored Pioneer SX850 and a Rega P2 I have, for me, the system that will be “it”. These speakers are so versatile! And the sound I get from vinyl for rock and jazz (and classical piano) is perfect. Of course, when I’m cooking and need to flip or change a record I remember why the lure of CDs and my 6 CD player sucked me in, haha. I need the exercise.

IMG_3487.jpeg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Found this for sale and grabbed it. My plan is to clean up and update the drivers in the speakers, maybe some new wiring as well, and use it with the Apollo I already posted. I figure I can sell the player with my existing bookshelf speakers for what I paid.

20240210_130155.jpg20240210_130208.jpg
Anyone have any clues how to open these? Seems a little strange that it's just one screw LOL

20240210_130314.jpg20240210_130324.jpg

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Found this for sale and grabbed it. My plan is to clean up and update the drivers in the speakers, maybe some new wiring as well, and use it with the Apollo I already posted. I figure I can sell the player with my existing bookshelf speakers for what I paid.

View attachment 287314View attachment 287315
Anyone have any clues how to open these? Seems a little strange that it's just one screw LOL

View attachment 287318View attachment 287319

The cool factor on this set up is off the charts. Love it!