PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
My setup back in the 80’s was a Technics turntable connected to a Kenwood receiver and two Kenwood tower speakers. Those were the days. Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa and Pink Floyd were in constant rotation then.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Why smoke a pipe when you can just go buy a disposable vape pen?
With my Sony MP3 player with hi res files and Shure ear buds, I can hear the sounds that I never heard from vinyls. So, it works for me. So, it's actually more smoking pipe than vape pen. Also, my vape rigs are three batteries set up with my hand made coils. Definitely out smoke any analogs x)

Reactions: UB 40

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
With my Sony MP3 player with hi res files and Shure ear buds, I can hear the sounds that I never heard from vinyls. So, it works for me. So, it's actually more smoking pipe than vape pen. Also, my vape rigs are three batteries set up with my hand made coils. Definitely out smoke any analogs x)
Had a feeling you vaped.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That’s also nice but still missing the angled connector. Just measure the height you need to put the connector with the wire under the bottom of the enclosure to make shure it’s fitting under.
They say necessity is the father of invention, but I'd wager cheapness plays a part.

I used the ends of some old cable and heat shrink wrapped it to some speaker wire. Did a test hookup and it sounds great, and the stereo balances perfectly. Just have to source some used speakers now and away I go.

20230909_144109.jpg

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
A small setup I got my father for Christmas 3 or so years ago.
Onkyo TX-2500 and a Music Hall table. Played through some Wharfedale speakers he had. He just loves it. He's not a techy guy, so we set him up a CD player and streaming setup while in town visiting. Very simple set up. To this day, he uses this table more than any other listening setup he has.
The coolest part is if I get a new release I really dig, I grab him a copy and have it sent to him. He caught the bug real quick and has been collecting records like a mad man since. I should've never showed him AcousticSounds.

I couldn't be happier to share a passion with my parents. They're not into gear, but they can talk music for days.
Screenshot_20230909_165921_Gallery.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In a previous post to this thread, I noted that my vintage McIntosh MAC 1900 receiver had been sent out for complete restoration. I purchased it used nearly 20 years ago, and, as the old saying goes, it had been ridden hard and put away wet.

It took a long time, but I received it earlier this week, just put it back into service, and all I can say is WOW, it sounds phenomenal! The work was performed by Bob at Bob The Tech Audio in New York state, and included replacement of all the capacitors, repair of some non-functioning switches, cleaning of potentiometers and switches, relamping, and alignment of the FM and AM tuners, among other things.

As I wrote to him this evening, my ears are now VERY happy. If you have high-end audio equipment in need of service, I can, based upon my experience, recommend him highly. Bob The Tech Audio.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some Frank Sinatra...

Last edited:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In a previous post to this thread, I noted that my vintage McIntosh MAC 1900 receiver had been sent out for complete restoration. I purchased it used nearly 20 years ago, and, as the old saying goes, it had been ridden hard and put away wet.

It took a long time, but I received it earlier this week, just put it back into service, and all I can say is WOW, it sounds phenomenal! The work was performed by Bob at Bob The Tech Audio in New York state, and included replacement of all the capacitors, repair of some non-functioning switches, cleaning of potentiometers and switches, relamping, and alignment of the FM and AM tuners, among other things.

As I wrote to him this evening, my ears are now VERY happy. If you have high-end audio equipment in need of service, I can, based upon my experience, recommend him highly. Bob The Tech Audio.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to enjoy some Frank Sinatra...
Nothing like bringing an old girl back to life.

Reactions: UB 40

bangzoom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
North of the Equator
Finally dialed in my vinyl set up. I built the bureau and then took it apart and built it again! 1976-77 era Pioneer turntable and receiver. 1975 Advent speakers. I also have an amp to push the signal out to some speakers on the deck (speaker cable through the floor, under the house, up through the deck). We get a lot of enjoyment out of this music machine ;)

View attachment 241025View attachment 241026
Love this...I call my set-up Vinyl Destination...

bangzoom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
North of the Equator
Amazing setup! I love the bureau and the lighting for the LPs. Some nice equipment you've got there as well. What are some of your favorite records you own?

I used to be big into vinyl, but sadly ended up selling most of my records and all of my equipment over the years due to moving and what-not. I've been wanting to break back into it, though. Here's a pic I found of my old setup from about 8 or 9 years ago... it was legit! Though I don't know if I'd go black and red again. Haha.

View attachment 241163
very cool