PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
Finally dialed in my vinyl set up. I built the bureau and then took it apart and built it again! 1976-77 era Pioneer turntable and receiver. 1975 Advent speakers. I also have an amp to push the signal out to some speakers on the deck (speaker cable through the floor, under the house, up through the deck). We get a lot of enjoyment out of this music machine ;)

View attachment 241025View attachment 241026
You could call that your Lennon closet

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The cool factor on this set up is off the charts. Love it!
Thanks! The speakers themselves look really cool, but there are no stands for them, and they are literal balls that roll around. I have them perched on some rolls of tape in the picture.

What do you plan on using?

No idea. They don't need to be super high powered. Any suggestions for a budget setup?

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Thanks! The speakers themselves look really cool, but there are no stands for them, and they are literal balls that roll around. I have them perched on some rolls of tape in the picture.

No idea. They don't need to be super high powered. Any suggestions for a budget setup?
I wonder if something like this would fit. What’s the diameter?

Reactions: jbfrady

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
I would try to repair those speakers. There are repair kits for damaged beads. Speaker: beading repair - how to - https://technical-tips.com/blog/hardware/speaker-beading-repair--how-11086
To choose new speakers for the cabinet is not so easy, and not only limited to the size, but on sonic features as well. As a broadbands I would choose one from the fostex range, maybe speak with a technician about the best choice. Then the babies might sing again.

83A202CA-3274-4C24-870E-CF1FE910A0A1.jpeg

There might be a place in the US where you can get some of these.

Reactions: Humblepipe
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Although I mentioned them months ago, since this thread is still going (!), I’ll give another little mention to the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversaries. Spent a lot of time a few years ago trying to figure out what to replace my 30+ year Polk Audios with (one of the woofers repaired with duct tape). The Wharfedales are called “bookshelf” but I’ve never had anything resembling a bookshelf that could hold these, lol. Paired with my vintage and restored Pioneer SX850 and a Rega P2 I have, for me, the system that will be “it”. These speakers are so versatile! And the sound I get from vinyl for rock and jazz (and classical piano) is perfect. Of course, when I’m cooking and need to flip or change a record I remember why the lure of CDs and my 6 CD player sucked me in, haha. I need the exercise.

View attachment 266535
I was curious about these. I remember reading about them in Stereophile. Since then, the reviews have been promising.
Is room placement as finicky as some have led me to believe?
Great looking speakers.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I was curious about these. I remember reading about them in Stereophile. Since then, the reviews have been promising.
Is room placement as finicky as some have led me to believe?
Great looking speakers.
At the moment, I can’t say. I’ve had them in our bedroom because I don’t have a space in the living room, nor in the downstairs family room. I need another room! So just a “traditional” flanking the components and about ten feet apart. Sound fantastic is all I can say with certainty and since the MBR is just off the open LR/DR/kitchen area I just crank them up when out there. Bedroom isn’t all that small but placement isn’t as critical in there - - great spot to recline and read/listen or just listen.

• Love
Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Definitely getting something like that. I might be able to source some from work.
No mater what brand you end up going with I think a 2 way speaker would be the best option as it will give you a bit better clarity. There is a reason most speakers have a separate tweeter or high end driver.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
No mater what brand you end up going with I think a 2 way speaker would be the best option as it will give you a bit better clarity. There is a reason most speakers have a separate tweeter or high end driver.
Maybe you’ve never heard a one broadband-foster loaded horn. No more clarity needed, just deep bass is lacking a bit. Like that Enclosure: P1000-BH - Back-loaded Horn Enclosure Box for P1000K | Speaker Components| Fostex - https://fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/P1000-BH.shtml

Last edited:

Jbrewer2002

Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
  • Haha
Reactions: UB 40