PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I’m gonna skip the soap in the pipes.
If I use anything besides very hot water, it'll be detergent, not soap. I don't like soap for anything except saddle soap for leather.

And I rinse the stem inside and out, and give it a quick scrub at times with the scouring side of a sponge.
A few drops of mineral oil, well rubbed in, restores the luster and black sheen with little work.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
You do this after every smoke?
No. It's a little too much for me. But I do it about once every 2 weeks or once a week if I'm diligent, between hot/warm water flushes.

It really does work well.

The water is fine, but after the soap and some drying time, which I'm sure you know is minimal, it is like having a brand new pipe but the benefit of a little cake built up. Any trace of oils or contaminates are gone. A little more so than the water alone.

I keep the cake in my pipes well trimmed back. Almost to the wood, I suspect, but still there. Either way, the soap and shank brush doesn't seem to remove the cake and it dries rock hard.

I wouldn't bullshit anyone here. I really do use this on pipes that I consider to be somewhat valuable. I think the biggest impact is on my bamboo shanked stems because they seem to collect the most oil, despite water flushes. I have two Eltangs with bamboo and a Dunhill with bamboo. I think it even helps to restore the bamboo. Obviously, I can't confirm that, but I just suspect that bamboo likes to be moistened once in awhile.

But even wood shanks, after a hot water flush, turn out a lot (A LOT) of brown crud with a shank brush and soap. Just don't scour the finish with a dish pad and they're in the same great shape as hot water alone.

No joke.

No weird swelling or otherwise bad effect.

An aside; I think the rejection of water to a pipe is pretty funny. I haven't read about a bad experience yet. I have salad bowls and other food bowls made of wood that get soaped down and oiled after use. I've had them for decades. Weird that they still look great!

Actually, that's how soap and pipes came together for me. I had just washed a salad bowl and had a pipe I was going to flush with hot water. Then I thought, well, what is the magical difference between this beautiful rosewood bowl and my briar? Couldn't come up with a logical reason and I didn't look back.

And yes, my pipes are in great condition. Almost half of my pipe smoking pleasure is from looking at well made, shiny pipes. They're in "as new" condition.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
No. It's a little too much for me. But I do it about once every 2 weeks or once a week if I'm diligent, between hot/warm water flushes.

The water is fine, but after the soap and some drying time, which I'm sure you know is minimal, it is like having a brand new pipe but the benefit of a little cake built up. Any trace of oils or contaminates are gone. A little more so than the water alone.

I keep the cake in my pipes well trimmed back. Almost to the wood, I suspect, but still there. Either way, the soap and shank brush doesn't seem to remove the cake and it dries rock hard.

I wouldn't bullshit anyone here. I really do use this on pipes that I consider to be somewhat valuable. I think the biggest impact is on my bamboo shanked stems because they seem to collect the most oil, despite water flushes. I have two Eltangs with bamboo and a Dunhill with bamboo. I think it even helps to restore the bamboo. Obviously, I can't confirm that, but I just suspect that bamboo likes to be moistened once in awhile.

But even wood shanks, after a hot water flush, turn out a lot (A LOT) of brown crud with a shank brush and soap. Just don't scour the finish with a dish pad and they're in the same great shape as hot water alone.

No joke.

An aside; I think the rejection of water to a pipe is pretty funny. I haven't read about a bad experience yet. I have salad bowls and other food bowls made of wood that get soaped down and oiled after use. I've had them for decades. Weird that they still look great!

Actually, that's how soap and pipes came together for me. I had just washed a salad bowl and had a pipe I was going to flush with hot water. Then I thought, well, what is the magical difference between this beautiful rosewood bowl and my briar? Couldn't come up with a logical reason and I didn't look back.

And yes, my pipes are in great condition. Almost half of my pipe smoking pleasure is from looking at well made, shiny pipes. They're in "as new" condition.
What soap are you using?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
What soap are you using?
I use "Seventh Generation" natural and free dish soap. I get the lather on the shank brush in hand first.

Then it's just in the shank and the bowl. A minute would be quite a long time of scrubbing. Half that, maybe, then a quick flush.

The pipe doesn't even know what hit it. But it is clean and presentable.

I dry it with a dish towel, then give it a very quick buff with my pipe cloth. Shines like new every time.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

No joke.

If you just water flush after every smoke, I think you'd find you could forego the additional steps and efforts. But whatever works best for you.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
You're probably right. It's about once every 1-2 weeks. I don't water flush after *every* smoke, which may be some of the reason why there is enough buildup to warrant the occasional soap treatment.

Just depends how diligent you are, I suppose.

Either way, the unwarranted fears that your pipe will dissolve or otherwise be ruined if treated with water are pretty silly... something all water flushers like yourself have proven.

It's a slow battleship to turn, I guess.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Silly, yes, but given that for 150 years more or less, tobacconists and manufacturers issued dire warnings against using any water on any pipe. Call me a cynic, but these are the folks that had magical potions, sweeteners, cleaners, etc. for sale at substantial markups. Profit drove out common sense.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Silly, yes, but given that for 150 years more or less, tobacconists and manufacturers issued dire warnings against using any water on any pipe. Call me a cynic, but these are the folks that had magical potions, sweeteners, cleaners, etc. for sale at substantial markups. Profit drove out common sense.
Well, there are exceptions. As I've mentioned before when these watery threads come up, MacQueen pipes shouldn't be allowed to get in contact with water. The manufacturer states that they're treated with a carnauba wax finish that will be negatively affected by contact with water. Dunno about the carnauba, but at one time some saliva landed on the pipe rim and upon wiping it off with my finger, the dye/stain came off too. Lesson learned: ever since, it's just the inside of the chamber that gets the saliva-paper towel treatment.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sorry, but that's absurd. If the finish comes off with contact with water, it's a crap finish, and will rub off over time unless handled with kid gloves.

I am unfamiliar with MacQueen pipes. Why are they so pussified they can't get wet?
Yes, it is.

We'd have to ask the manufacturer, because any neither my Vauen Basic nor my Brigham Chinook (the only other two pipes I've put under the water rinse) have shed a pin-sized dot of dye when wet. But, to be honest, that MacQueen pipe was such a disappointment in several regards that I ain't gonna sweat it if I can't rinse it with water. I'm just counting the days till I can finally replace it with a Qandale.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA

No joke.

well yes cutting boards too

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I recall there was a guy on here once who cleaned his pipe with water and said it tasted terrible - someone told him the water brought up all the filth and sedimentary oil rot from deep within the suggested to perform salt and alcohol - I performed the same and it worked well - don't know if I'd smoke a bowl following a water treatment unless the water is piping hot and immediately dried to the bone.
The water flush or salt and alcohol?

The briar is likely to absorb more moisture during a smoke than a hot water rinse, as the water is often steam, and the temperature of the wood is higher. Much longer exposure, too.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
The water flush or salt and alcohol?

The briar is likely to absorb more moisture during a smoke than a hot water rinse, as the water is often steam, and the temperature of the wood is higher. Much longer exposure, too.
To clarify - I wet the pipe in a bowl of water and then let it dry then followed with salt and alcohol treatment - like I said don't know if I'd smoke after water alone - but if you guys say it works maybe I'll try it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I recall there was a guy on here once who cleaned his pipe with water and said it tasted terrible - someone told him the water brought up all the filth and sedimentary oil rot from deep within the suggested to perform salt and alcohol - I performed the same and it worked well - don't know if I'd smoke a bowl following a water treatment unless the water is piping hot and immediately dried to the bone.
It's possible that the referenced smoker was used to the rancid state of his pipe and was a bit shocked by cleanliness.

I'll do the S/A treatment on an estate as part of the cleaning process, but I don't need to do that with my pipes subsequently because I clean them after use.

Water cleaning works and doesn't damage the pipe. Why would it? We're sucking super heated steam thru a pipe for hours on end, and a couple of minutes being flushed with a trickle of hot water is going to be the death of it?

I don't run hot water through a vulcanite stem, as it raises the sulfur content. Vulcanite stems get alcohol. I don't use alcohol on acrylic stems because it causes micro fractures in the acrylic. Acrylic stems get water.

I wait for the water to get hot then reduce the flow to a trickle, such that the water just fills the chamber while pouring out the end of the shank. Let it run for a minute or so, until the bowl feels warm. Next clean out the chamber and airway with paper toweling, bristle brushes, Q-Tips, fluffies, etc. Repeat the flush if needed. Repeat the scrub out if needed. Let everything dry, the timing of which varies with the pipe. Then reassemble.

I'll check out using 7th Generation soap to reduce the amount of cleaning steps I take.

To those out there still on the fence, water works for me. If you're content with your maintenance methods, stick with them. If you're curious, give water a try. You'll lose some time, but you won't lose a pipe.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
The only thing I can add is I use hot water as well, not often, but I do from time to time. My dad always ran his pipe under the sink and scrubbed the water filled bowl out with his fingers. Briar wood is extremely dense. J.Allen did a experiment where he filled a pipe with water for days. I don’t recall all the details, the video was on YouTube, but the point was briar wood is so dense it didn’t penetrate the wood or cause any ill effects.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I use warm to hot water. I turn the water on full bore, the velocity causes most of the water to run back up the sides which cleanses the bowls even further IMHO. I tilt the bowl to different angles so that all parts of the bowl gets this flushing affect. I do that for around 30 seconds. I noticed an ashy smell when I use warmer water which leads me to believe the higher temperature water is more effective.

When finished, I take a paper towel and first rub the rim to get rid of the inevitable grime that will build up there. This cleaning method does a remarkable job of keeping the rims clean. I then stuff part of the paper towel into the bowl and twist it full circle a couple of times.

This approach had virtually eliminated the need for deep cleaning and reaming out cake build up. I've deep cleaned several pipes with everclear and pipe cleaners that have 50 to 100 bowls and more smoked through them just to see how dirty they've become only using this cleaning technique. After 3 to 5 pipe cleaners, they come out with no residue. No pipe had sustained any damage note have I noticed any appreciable negative affect on any stem material.

I've picked up lots of good advice on this forum but this cleaning technique has been far and away the most valuable. Thank you @jpmcwjr for several thousand enjoyable, fresh smokes with minimal effort. You should be placed in the PM HOF for posting this advice. I'm giving you credit because you're the first person I recall posting about this.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’ve commented before about how skeptical I was about this water flush method. I took a 45 year old Carey magic inch (one of the better London made) that I was convinced was irreparably “soured” at the heel from smoking it outdoors in all weathers and just banging it out and stuffing it again. I even lost it somewhere in the sawdust and mud a few times for days at a time in the rain.
Anyway, after washing it and scrubbing off the detritus of decades of abuse, it smokes beautifully and even has a faint ghosting of Edgeworth Sliced!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Thanks, gents.

I did exactly what Hoosier describes, but I've gotten lazy, so I just let the pipes air dry. I will rub the rims against a scouring pad to remove the schmutz when needed.
Schmutz reminds me of Jewish humor which reminds me of my childhood in New York which reminds me of Jackie Mason(former rabbi!) who makes me laugh like no other comedian.

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee
Status
Not open for further replies.