PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Tbaggins

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2021
Montana
Homemade mezcal? If so, please share the recipe. I used to infuse my own liquor and liqueurs and am interested.

PM if you don't want to share publicly.
Ah I should’ve made it more clear that it’s just homemade margaritas using mezcal. Followed a basic margarita recipe and split the tequila with equal parts mezcal. It’s probably my favorite spirit so I thought it would be a good mix. I wouldn’t try my hand at making mezcal, I’ll leave it to the professionals lol. Made the margaritas as follows.
3 oz lime juice
1 oz lemon juice
3 oz Contreau
2.5 oz Bozal Ensemble
2.5 oz Espolon Blanco
Agave syrup to taste
Salted rim

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Tempted by a post by @gubbyduffer regarding Cutty Sark Prohibition scotch I ordered myself a bottle. This would be my first overproof scotch so I was pretty excited when it arrived yesterday.

Slightly sweet on the tongue but dry in the mouth (if that makes sense) with a slight peppery or dry spice aftertaste, I was quite impressed.

At a mere £27 quite the bargain. I'd give it 8/10 on my scotch-o-meter.

1 cutty.jpg

Jay.

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
After a busy week out in the pampa.

20240420-192812.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Tempted by a post by @gubbyduffer regarding Cutty Sark Prohibition scotch I ordered myself a bottle. This would be my first overproof scotch so I was pretty excited when it arrived yesterday.

Slightly sweet on the tongue but dry in the mouth (if that makes sense) with a slight peppery or dry spice aftertaste, I was quite impressed.

At a mere £27 quite the bargain. I'd give it 8/10 on my scotch-o-meter.

View attachment 304162

Jay.
Never come across that one.
Better than the Famous Grouse would you say? £27 to me for a blended whisky, needs to be better than the Grouse, otherwise I don't bother.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Having Fidens Waiheke Double IPA, 8.4%.

View attachment 303610
8.4%?
Probably down to the fact that I've been brought up on lower 'abv' beers, but I always find the higher percentage ruins the taste of the beer for me. Belgian beers are the same, despite being some of the world's most respected beers, one or two is enough for me. Too rich.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
8.4%?
Probably down to the fact that I've been brought up on lower 'abv' beers, but I always find the higher percentage ruins the taste of the beer for me. Belgian beers are the same, despite being some of the world's most respected beers, one or two is enough for me. Too rich.

Fidens and Other Half Brewing make great New England IPAs; some of OH’s can be 10.0%, but are so tasty, you’d never know it—they can creep up on you very easily. Other Half makes Pastry Stouts that are 16% and taste like chocolate cake. They go down too easily and pack a wallop.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
£27 to me for a blended whisky, needs to be better than the Grouse, otherwise I don't bother.
My preferred blended scotch is Whyte & Mackay (though Grouse and I suppose Bells are perfectly acceptable) which I get from Amazon at around £19 per litre. It was £16 per litre for ages then suddenly jumped.

Johnny Walker blended is no slouch either at £21 per litre.

The Cutty Sark blend, though pricier was a welcome change for me so I suppose it's horses for courses ;).

Jay.