PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am listening to Delia Bell and Bill Grant. They did some fine duet albums in the 70's and 80's. The CD contains marvelous renditions of "Dreaming", "Heartbreak Express" and "Flame in My Heart". This duo was married to other people yet had a wonderful professional relationship. Bill approaches things from a pure traditional bluegrass point of view while Delia is more of a traditional country singer. As a duo they make fine music for damn nearly forty years and released at 15 LPs or CDs. They both were pretty staunch Oklahomans. Sad they couldn't break into the big time, but they were marvelous. They are backed up on this CD by the Johnson Mountain Boys and Del McCoury. Both of those groups reached the top of the heap in traditional bluegrass music.

Delia Bell & Bill Grant - Dreaming

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=00f9...lbGlhLUJlbGwtQmlsbC1HcmFudC1EcmVhbWluZw&ntb=1
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=00f9...lbGlhLUJlbGwtQmlsbC1HcmFudC1EcmVhbWluZw&ntb=1

Reactions: Speak Easy

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am listening to arguably the greatest Western album made, Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs'". It features "El Paso" but my favorite is "Big Iron".

"To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day
Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say
No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip
For the stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip
Big iron on his hip"
  • Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs
I was 13 in Phoenix in 1960 when I first heard this tune. Agua Fria was only a short drive from where I was living.

Speak Easy

Lifer
Jan 12, 2024
Western Oklahoma
I am listening to arguably the greatest Western album made, Marty Robbins "Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs'". It features "El Paso" but my favorite is "Big Iron".

"To the town of Agua Fria rode a stranger one fine day
Hardly spoke to folks around him, didn't have too much to say
No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip
For the stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip
Big iron on his hip"
  • Gunfighter Ballads And Trail Songs
I was 13 in Phoenix in 1960 when I first heard this tune. Agua Fria was only a short drive from where I was living.
Definitely my favorite Marty Robbins album. El Paso intrigued me as a child and as I listened to more of his music , I found El Paso City, and Faleena (from El Paso). Really completed the story in my mind. Great choice, sir!

Reactions: kcghost