PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Currently reading Two Years Before the Mast! Spending a week on a tropical beach, and I wanted a story that complimented the atmosphere. A (to my landlubber sensibilities) delightfully authentic tale about a two year voyage around the Horn of South America, full of salt and all things nautical. Told more or less as a diary, it’s got a fantastically transporting quality to it.

With the smell of salt and sea in my nose, a nice navy flake in my pipe, and this book to occupy my time, I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been spending hours daydreaming of a life at sea.

Would love any suggestions for books that scratch the same itch!

Attachments

• IMG_5449.jpeg
    IMG_5449.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
When driving as a family, we're currently re-reading LOTR, this time listening to the Andy Serkis audio (which is phenomenal).

View attachment 286271

In the evenings I'm reading this to the kids:

View attachment 286272

My own stack of books ATM includes:

View attachment 286273

View attachment 286274

View attachment 286276

View attachment 286278

On the unlikely chance that somebody here has read Michael Heiser, I actually like Chaffey better on this.
I’ve not read Unseen Realm but I have watched the YouTube documentary.

I also have a book on the Lord’s Supper underway.
1707323379636.jpeg

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I’ve not read Unseen Realm but I have watched the YouTube documentary.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate Heiser in many regards. He certainly brought the conversation to the forefront and gave the ancient view some credibility it hadn't had in awhile. Chaffey is more systematic in his approach though, and while holding the same general view is a bit more measured (he also happens to be YEC, as I am).

I also have a book on the Lord’s Supper underway.

In the last couple years I read a remarkably charitable take on competing formulations of the Real Presence in Brett Salkeld's Transubstantiation -- he argues persuasively that the doctrine has been significantly misunderstood (no less by RCs than by others), that "physicality" (although Aquinas did not deal in that category explicitly) is of the accidents which are not changed, that "substance" is more or less deep identity from God's perspective, and that we wind up with significant rapprochement with Calvin's doctrine.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
Currently reading Two Years Before the Mast! Spending a week on a tropical beach, and I wanted a story that complimented the atmosphere. A (to my landlubber sensibilities) delightfully authentic tale about a two year voyage around the Horn of South America, full of salt and all things nautical. Told more or less as a diary, it’s got a fantastically transporting quality to it.

With the smell of salt and sea in my nose, a nice navy flake in my pipe, and this book to occupy my time, I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been spending hours daydreaming of a life at sea.

Would love any suggestions for books that scratch the same itch!
I love Kon-Tiki

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
That's excellent. As someone who used to work for Restore Hetch Hetchy, I find this book highly interesting.
Purchased it yesterday from my favourite secondhand bookstore, along with 3 other books from the same publisher ; Diadem Books London and The Mountaineers Seatle. So Muir,Tilman, Shipton and Smythe in one buy. Very interesting to read about mountaineering while I suffer from vertigo.
Very nice editions in fine condition and somewhat rare this end of the world.
To clarify; we live semi-rural the Netherlands. Mind you ; 278 feet above sea level.
5 km. sloping uphill rotf