PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Currently reading Two Years Before the Mast! Spending a week on a tropical beach, and I wanted a story that complimented the atmosphere. A (to my landlubber sensibilities) delightfully authentic tale about a two year voyage around the Horn of South America, full of salt and all things nautical. Told more or less as a diary, it’s got a fantastically transporting quality to it.

With the smell of salt and sea in my nose, a nice navy flake in my pipe, and this book to occupy my time, I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been spending hours daydreaming of a life at sea.

Would love any suggestions for books that scratch the same itch!
That was a great read!

Reactions: edger

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
Currently reading Two Years Before the Mast! Spending a week on a tropical beach, and I wanted a story that complimented the atmosphere. A (to my landlubber sensibilities) delightfully authentic tale about a two year voyage around the Horn of South America, full of salt and all things nautical. Told more or less as a diary, it’s got a fantastically transporting quality to it.

With the smell of salt and sea in my nose, a nice navy flake in my pipe, and this book to occupy my time, I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been spending hours daydreaming of a life at sea.

Would love any suggestions for books that scratch the same itch!
Well NOW look what you made me do. I'd long heard of this book but I'd never read it. Me being me, I wanted a copy printed from "that time," so I could read the same pages someone else read when sailing was "that way." Copies from 1840 and 1841 were WAY out of my price range, but I found an 1858 copy in good shape that should serve me well. It'll get read out on my swinging chair with a churchwarden pipe when I get to it...
Thanks for that! :)