Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Just wrapping up No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Adore the movie but had never read the book (or any McCarthy novel for that matter). His straightforward and utilitarian writing is quite the change of tone from the more flowery language I’m used to, but I really enjoy the style.

It almost feels like it was written as a screenplay - almost everything is shown instead of told. Character qualities are shown through dialogue and actions, rather than an exposition dump.

A nice short read that I enjoyed on hot, still summer evenings, reading outside with the light that spilled out my window.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpeg
    IMG_4318.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 1

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Just wrapping up No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Adore the movie but had never read the book (or any McCarthy novel for that matter). His straightforward and utilitarian writing is quite the change of tone from the more flowery language I’m used to, but I really enjoy the style.

It almost feels like it was written as a screenplay - almost everything is shown instead of told. Character qualities are shown through dialogue and actions, rather than an exposition dump.

A nice short read that I enjoyed on hot, still summer evenings, reading outside with the light that spilled out my window.
McCarthy is a fantastic writer. I highly recommend The Road and Blood Meridian.

Reactions: David D. Davidson

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Ahh. A light, summer read....
A light summer read indeed—like saying the H-bomb is simply a loud firecracker. :)

I’m about 120 pages into it with 600-plus pages left to go. It’s not unexpectedly cryptic and abstruse in parts and sequentially confusing, not to mention the fact that some parts would likely have made even Henry Miller blush. Nevertheless, I’m determined to trudge through, as it is, after all, considered to be one of the greatest novels of the last half of the 20th century. Hopefully, I won‘t be disappointed if and when I ever finish it.

• Haha
Reactions: BCF

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

I enjoyed the book more than the movie (which I love & just re-watched. I also enjoyed "The Road" but could not get into Blood Meridian. I recommend Butcher's Crossing.

1690802519400.png

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Robert Ludlum's The Rheinmann Exchange. Ludlum is one of my top 5 favorite authors (with Jack London, Tom Clancy, James Mitchner, and Frank Delaney rounding out the list). And he's the only one I wonder why we don't get more movies based on his books.

Reactions: instymp
Status
Not open for further replies.