PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Still enjoying taking dips (as time allows) into Russell Chatham's Silent Seasons, especially Jack Curtis' story titled Grandfather. As someone who has been dyslexic (particularly with numbers) since childhood, I can relate to the young boy in the story.

Prior to purchasing Mr. Chatham's book I was totally unaware of Mr. Curtis as an author, but will be on the lookout for more of his writing - it's good!

seaweed

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2023
Maine
I’m reading Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb, and the antagonist is so incredibly infuriating in such a realistic way that I have trouble sleeping if I read before bed because I’m so annoyed by them. I keep turning page after page hoping someone puts them in their place, but it hasn’t happened. Even writing about it here has me all riled up. Sign of a good author, I suppose.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
@warren99 I appreciate your comments on Frolic. That sounds about on par with his other work. I read JR earlier this year and need some more time to let my humors for Gaddis build up before reaching for this one.

How was Herzog? I read Dangling Man today and have Herzog in transit.

Reactions: RonB

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
@warren99 I appreciate your comments on Frolic. That sounds about on par with his other work. I read JR earlier this year and need some more time to let my humors for Gaddis build up before reaching for this one.

How was Herzog? I read Dangling Man today and have Herzog in transit.
Not having read Dangling Man—only Henderson the Rain King and Seize the Day—I can‘t offer you any comparison, However, Herzog’s a well-written novel that I enjoyed reading. It concerns a middle-aged professor/writer going through his second divorce, who copes with his inner struggles by writing letters to dead and living people without mailing them. The novel journeys through various trials and tribulations in his life, past and present, until he arrives at some semblance of order and contentment in the end. I hope you enjoy it.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I am enjoying Jordan Peterson’s Biblical Series. One of the panel members was Gregg Hurwitz, a very interesting intellect, and also a novelist. If any of you have read him I’d appreciate any suggestions as to which novels I should start with. Thanks!

Reactions: RonB

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Salem's lot
I read that in 1978, when was 17 years old. My girlfriend at the time, lived right behind the Antietam Battlefield National Park. I used to cut thru the battlefield on my motorcycle, heading back home. One night, while I was reading this book, I headed home on the bike, with her helmet sitting on the sissy-bar. I was halfway home and noticed her helmet was missing. I had to go back thru the park to hunt for her helmet, around 2 AM. The battlefield is spooky in daylight, not to mention at 2 AM. I remember looking over my shoulder as much as looking for the helmet. I never did find the helmet (which cost me $50 from memory!) Plus, my father was not happy at me arriving home at 3 AM, on a Sunday morning. But, the book was totally worth it,still a favorite. (behind "The Stand)

Status
Not open for further replies.