PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
Neat meer, and love that stem and mount. Looks like real old world class!
Thank you. It is one of my favourites. Over 70 people were watching the auction on eBay and I still got it for a great deal.

That was my first lesson in not giving up on an auction with so many watchers. It probably helps no original case or documentation was included.

If I’m not buried with this pipe, the next time this pipe hits the market I will be worm food.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just finishing this bowl of undated McCranies Red Flake in a straight smooth brown post-WWII Derby Natural Grain billiard (Sasieni) with a tapered black vulcanite stem. Had a fun chat with one of my best friends in the comics world. Ice water and bergs is my drink. Watching the Angels-Red Sox game.
Derby_Natural_Grain_billiard.jpg

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Since I've been smoking a fair bit of Captain Black original lately, I figured I'd break out my trusty morning cob and give Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular a try. It's supposed to be Mac Baren's take on Captain Black original, so let's see how it smokes! puffy

IMG20240407155908~2.jpg

Right off the bat, the first thing that's apparent is that Mac Baren's offering is MUCH less sweet. Captain Black always leaves a sugary coating on my lips and tongue, whereas the sweetness in 7 Seas Regular is very mild and is something you almost have to look for to notice. The overall flavor profile is quite different as well, with Captain Black having what to me is a vanilla sweet cream coffee creamer flavor with a bit of roasted marshmallow, whereas the 7 Seas is very much a caramel flavor strongly reminiscent of those soft milky caramel chews that (depending on your age) your parents or grandparents probably had sitting in a dish on the coffee table. There's something vaguely fruity going on in the background as well, like just the faintest whisper of mixed fruit punch. It's a really different flavor from Captain Black, but quite good in it's own right!

As far as the mechanics go, 7 Seas is a relatively easy and forgiving smoke. It lights and stays lit easily just like the Captain, but burns much cleaner than Captain Black with little moisture left behind in the pipe. Unfortunately 7 Seas is a little temperamental when it comes to heat and can turn ashy and unpleasant tasting if puffed absentmindedly, so it's not quite the carefree "smoke it while you're working on something and not really paying attention to your cadence" experience that Captain Black is.

As far as the nicotine content goes, it's very mild to the point that I don't notice it's existence; which is a bit disappointing to me since one of the things I like about Captain Black is it's surprisingly satisfying nicotine content for a mellow aromatic that I'd consider to be right between mild and medium.

All things considered I don't think Mac Baren 7 Seas Regular is a bad blend at all, it's very pleasant and for those desiring a mild caramel flavored aromatic I think it would be a good choice. Personally though I think I'll be sticking with the Captain. 🏴‍☠️

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Almost half way through this bowl of KBV Roman Soldier in a 1935 small, straight smooth dark brown Irish Free State K&P (Peterson) billiard with a silverish cap military mount and tapered black vulcanite stem. Haven't smoked this pipe lately.
Irish Free State_MMbilliard_1935.jpg

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
IMG_5288.jpeg
I got to enjoy some Cornell & Diehl’s Oak Alley in my MBSD straight ball meerschaum with 9mm filter while on my daughter’s first time out on the land in her stroller with my partner and little dog.

This pipe is only 43 grams despite its size and seems to colour quickly. I guess the lighter it is the more pores it has.

I wonder if Altinay would have graded this as a transparent meerschaum.

StuporSpoopy

Lurker
Mar 2, 2024
Wittmann, Arizona, USA
I've really been feeling the Red Virginia Ribbon in the Falcon, there's just something about the Dublin bowl that really makes it pop! I've had a very long day and sitting down with a delicious bowl of a fine tobacco is exactly what I need to decompress. Thinking I'll be ordering another half pound of it this Wednesday so I don't have to break into my cellared jar quite yet.IMG_20240407_150630.jpg

EssJaySea

Can't Leave
May 12, 2021
Sebastopol, CA
First time mowing the new property (we’re going to be turning it into a CA native meadow) — maybe not quite an acre. A new experience for me but probably not for many of you!

So enjoying my handiwork with 8 state burley in the wee Scott’s pipe before taking the dog for a long walk by a nearby river.

IMG_5503.jpeg

For comparison

IMG_5495.jpeg

das3353

Lifer
Sep 7, 2019
GLP Navigator in a Savinelli Antica

53356352265_ae2b581df7_k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.