PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
A quarter of the way through this bowl of pre-2014 Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2014 Basil Meadows smooth slight bend squashed tomato with an aluminum band and a black pearl acrylic stem in the military mount style. Up earlier than usual to watch the annual Red Sox Patriots Day game. They're playing the Guardians. Ice water and bergs is my drink.
Basil_squashed_ tomato copy.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
My cough symptoms are identified as a smoker's cough:
No more ciggies for me; I hate the smell & taste of them!

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Winding down for the night, instead of Haunted Bookshop I decided to try a new blend I had never smoked before! Cornell & Diehl Winchester, in a Rattray's Blower's Daughter. This one was so good I decided to give it a little mini review!

View attachment 303408

Every now and then, on rare occasion, you find a blend that you know you're going to like from the moment you smell it. After getting a couple ounces of Winchester in the mail I stashed it away in a Ball jar, let it sit and build it's aroma for a week and a half, then cracked open the jar and gave it a sniff. Dry dusty prairie grass, gunpowder, and horse. That's what Winchester smells like, and I think it was quite appropriately named!

It comes a bit wetter than any non-aromatic C&D blend I've tried before, but takes the flame easily and burns quite well with no dry time required. In terms of flavor it's a very mellow and mild blend (especially by C&D standards), with the dark, earthy red Virginias and unsweetened canvendished burley in harmonious balance. A little soil, a little leaf litter, a subtle nuttiness, and an occasional ephemeral hint of cocoa. It reminds me a lot of G.L. Pease Union Square, but much smoother on account of the cavendished burley softening the rough throat irritating edges of the red Virginias and with a gentle burley flavor as the background note instead of grassy bright Virginia. There's still a sharp zing on the retrohale though, letting you know that you're most definitely smoking a red Virginia blend.

Speaking of notes, the room note is very old time'y! I'm not sure how else to describe it other than that it reminds me of an old west saloon. Dusty and woody with cedar spice, and a roasty quality like a woodfire hearth. It's very pleasant and makes you think of times long gone by.

As I get towards the end of the pipe the nicotine content feels just a tiny bit below medium to me, and it seems like something most folks could smoke all day if they wanted with little breaks in-between. All in all it's a really pleasant, mild tasting, dark and earthy blend that seems like a good Virginia blend for burley fans, or a gateway into burleys for Virginia smokers. If you like Union Square then Winchester will be right up your alley. It's also the most "old west" smelling blend of anything I've ever smoked when it comes to both the tin note and room note, so if you're looking for something that feels like what frontiersman might have smoked in the 1700 or 1800s then absolutely give Cornell & Diehl's Winchester a try!

It's a keeper in my book, and easily my favorite red Virginia blend I've ever tried right from the first smoke.puffy
I love this blend as well. I’m a big fan of C&D Burley blends but sometimes I want something “soft” to smoke. Cavendish has the soft mouthfeel so I tried aromatics to no avail. Then I tried Winchester and just like that, It fits the craving like no other so far.

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
Good day all! From yesterday: at a retreat, so snuck in a bowl of KBV Acadian Flek in a Savinelli Autograph sandblast Burl Fan Mignon with plateau rim and tapered stem. Today, started with GLP Cairo in an Upshall sandblast Canadian size 4, to be followed with GH Brown Flake Aromatic in a dedicated Tilshead smooth Dublin with flattened shank and matching tapered eighth-bent stem size 3-4. Lovely Upshall R back there, craig61a!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Winding down for the night, instead of Haunted Bookshop I decided to try a new blend I had never smoked before! Cornell & Diehl Winchester, in a Rattray's Blower's Daughter. This one was so good I decided to give it a little mini review!

View attachment 303408

Every now and then, on rare occasion, you find a blend that you know you're going to like from the moment you smell it. After getting a couple ounces of Winchester in the mail I stashed it away in a Ball jar, let it sit and build it's aroma for a week and a half, then cracked open the jar and gave it a sniff. Dry dusty prairie grass, gunpowder, and horse. That's what Winchester smells like, and I think it was quite appropriately named!

It comes a bit wetter than any non-aromatic C&D blend I've tried before, but takes the flame easily and burns quite well with no dry time required. In terms of flavor it's a very mellow and mild blend (especially by C&D standards), with the dark, earthy red Virginias and unsweetened canvendished burley in harmonious balance. A little soil, a little leaf litter, a subtle nuttiness, and an occasional ephemeral hint of cocoa. It reminds me a lot of G.L. Pease Union Square, but much smoother on account of the cavendished burley softening the rough throat irritating edges of the red Virginias and with a gentle burley flavor as the background note instead of grassy bright Virginia. There's still a sharp zing on the retrohale though, letting you know that you're most definitely smoking a red Virginia blend.

Speaking of notes, the room note is very old time'y! I'm not sure how else to describe it other than that it reminds me of an old west saloon. Dusty and woody with cedar spice, and a roasty quality like a woodfire hearth. It's very pleasant and makes you think of times long gone by.

As I get towards the end of the pipe the nicotine content feels just a tiny bit below medium to me, and it seems like something most folks could smoke all day if they wanted with little breaks in-between. All in all it's a really pleasant, mild tasting, dark and earthy blend that seems like a good Virginia blend for burley fans, or a gateway into burleys for Virginia smokers. If you like Union Square then Winchester will be right up your alley. It's also the most "old west" smelling blend of anything I've ever smoked when it comes to both the tin note and room note, so if you're looking for something that feels like what frontiersman might have smoked in the 1700 or 1800s then absolutely give Cornell & Diehl's Winchester a try!

It's a keeper in my book, and easily my favorite red Virginia blend I've ever tried right from the first smoke.puffy
@Skippy B. Coyote I was smoking Winchester in my clays at my first visit to the Sealed Knot Battle of Nantwich in 2023 with one of the re-enactors. Unfortunately I broke one of my clays that day...

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Smoking yet another bowl of Gawith Broken Flake No:7. I have finally remembered why have a tad under 1/2 pound of this stuff kicking around. A very good friend of mine who shall remain nameless told me a Flake of No:7 mixed in with Erinmore Mixture made it taste like it did when I was knee high to a rooster. What I didn't realize was a 1 lb bag was overkill for a large tin of Erinmore Mixture! Smoking Broken No:7 on its own is very enjoyable smoke if you use the fold and stuff method, add that to the mechanics of a well seasoned meerschaum and you have yourself a wonderful afternoon.
Someone recenty posted that mixing #7 with the current version of St.Bruno will yield a reasonable facsimile of the Irish made Condor. Will try that combination next time I order some #7. With the demise of Condor, I say "any port in a storm".

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Less than a third of a bowl left of year 2020 Watch City Rouxgaroux in a smooth medium bend 2021 Peterson POTY Natural 4AB No. 6/500 military mount with a silver cap and a tapered black vulcanite AB stem. Just finished cleaning a few pipes.
4AB_Nat_left.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.