PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I finished watching "Millenium Actress". It has plenty of good animation in this film. Millennium Actress is a 2001 Japanese animated drama film co-written and directed by Satoshi Kon and produced by Madhouse. Loosely based on the lives of two actresses. It blurs the line between reality and cinema at times.

4/5

Millennium Actress - Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray + DVD

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I am watching "The Castle in the Sky" by master animator Hayao Miyazaki. It is wonder of two youngsters battling against evil in the story. An airship carrying Sheeta – an orphan girl abducted by government agent Muska – is attacked by air pirate Dola and her gang, who seek Sheeta's crystal necklace. Attempting to escape, Sheeta falls from the airship but is saved by the magic of the now-glowing crystal, which lowers her gently. She is caught by Pazu, an orphan who works as a mechanic in a 19th-century mining town, and he takes her to his home to recover.

It is truly charming (not on par with 'Kiki's Delivery Service" but nonetheless it is very good. I don't what it is rated put it's either G or PG depending on how you view the mild violence in the move,

4/5

Castle in the Sky (1986) Phone Wallpaper | Moviemania | Studio ghibli ...
Just watched this for the first time the other day, really excellent. I was at the Ghibli Studio Museum in Tokyo over the winter and it was absolutely amazing. We were incredibly lucky to get tickets.

Back on topic:
Fallout, easy 5/5. Never played the games. Quirky dark humor, excellent writing, great casting, props and sets.

Reactions: kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I must confess that I have a real weakness for the Japanese TV series "Bleach". It is an anime of a 15 year old bou who suddenly thrust into the being a "soul reaper". This is the movie "Fade to Black" which based on the TV series. I found it to be just as enjoyable as the TV series. This the third movie a series of four.

4/5

Bleach the Movie 3: Fade to Black (Blu-ray)(2008)

$18.99

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I've watched the first four episodes of "A Gentleman in Moscow". Nothing much to say other than a man is placed under house arrest at five-star hotel & restaurant. He ends up watching as the secret police haul off about one person an episode and murder them. Not sure I can wade through the next four weeks.

3.5/5

A Gentleman in Moscow (2024)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8230448/mediaviewer/rm3417065217/?ref_=tt_ov_i

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Ripley, Netflix

I can't get over the photography in this rather long series which I just finished. Yes, it could have been shorter, but camera work kept me enthralled. The story is pretty darn good as well.

5/5
Finished it yesterday, 3/5 from me, 5/5 from the wife. Really crisp and tight photography indeed, quite funny situations/quotes. Ok 4/5 ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've been binging the detective series, Cardinal, on HULU. It's a somber affair, and my only gripe about it is the almost obsessive minimalist art direction. The result is quite beautiful, but cold, and extends even to the costumes with very muted colors. The performances kind of match, with characters speaking to one another in hushed tones. Despite this overbearing "stylishness" I enjoy the show and will recommend it as an engaging diversion.
4 out of 5, mostly because of the style.

Reactions: kcghost and jpmcwjr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Did 5 out of 7 episodes in one sitting of "Baby Reindeer" on Netflix. Very well done, deeply deeply disturbing, thought-provoking. No clue how it's down as "dark comedy" on Netflix's suggestions. It's dark for sure. 5/5 so far, would never watch again.