Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am now enjoying "Princess Mononoke" which is one of the best Hayao Miyazaki films. It has a stellar English voice cast in Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Minnie Driver, Jada Pinkett Smith, Billy Bob Thornton, and Gillian Anderson and others. The story follows a cursed, young Emishi prince named Ashitaka (Crudup), and his involvement in a struggle between the gods (kami) of a forest and the humans who consume its resources. The film deals with themes of Shinto and environmentalism. There is a tremendous battle between the forest animal gods led by Princess Mononoke (Claire Danes) and they are facing Lady Eboshi (Minnie Driver) and clan of very proud humans.
James Cameron says his "Avatar" was influenced by this picture.

Princess Mononoke [DVD] [1997] - image 1 of 3

Reactions: sablebrush52

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Finished “Fool me once”. Not bad, not great, 3-5.
Very convoluted story which, again, gets resolved very fast in the end. Some less than plausible sequences.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Question: has anyone watched Sugar- AppleTV?

I must not have been paying attention, for when I did finally, I was lost as to who was good, bad or indifferent. Seemed like too many characters with differing crimes or associations.

Reactions: kcghost

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Now I am watching the movie "Cowboy Bebop the Movie". This absolutely great anime is based solidly on the characters in the TV anime. This version features the voices of Steve Blum as Spike Spiegel, Bo Billingsley as Jet Black, Wendee Lee as Faye Valentine, Melissa Fahn as Edward Wong. They are the crew of a spaceship that patrols from the Jupiter to Earth searching for criminals to collect their bounty. It is an action-packed adventure movie with very bittersweet moments.

5/5

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2001)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Another day and I am watching another animated masterpiece, "The Secret of Kells". It was nominated for an Academy Award as animated film 2009. This is a French-Irish-Belgium film.

The Secret of Kells (2009)

Reactions: Peter Turbo

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am now enjoying "Princess Mononoke" which is one of the best Hayao Miyazaki films. It has a stellar English voice cast in Billy Crudup, Claire Danes, Minnie Driver, Jada Pinkett Smith, Billy Bob Thornton, and Gillian Anderson and others. The story follows a cursed, young Emishi prince named Ashitaka (Crudup), and his involvement in a struggle between the gods (kami) of a forest and the humans who consume its resources. The film deals with themes of Shinto and environmentalism. There is a tremendous battle between the forest animal gods led by Princess Mononoke (Claire Danes) and they are facing Lady Eboshi (Minnie Driver) and clan of very proud humans.
James Cameron says his "Avatar" was influenced by this picture.

Princess Mononoke [DVD] [1997] - image 1 of 3
Another day and I am watching another animated masterpiece, "The Secret of Kells". It was nominated for an Academy Award as animated film 2009. This is a French-Irish-Belgium film.

The Secret of Kells (2009)
Tow of my favorite animated feature films! You have great taste!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
HULU was the first streaming service I subscribed to, about 15 years ago. I hadn't been paying much attention to it in recent times, but Shogun got me back on it more regularly and I'm finding a wealth of great options. Currently I'm binge watching Silk, a Brit drama series centering on the goings on in a British barrister firm. The casting is excellent and I'm finding myself intrigued with the vast differences, culturally and philosophically, between how the British and American court systems work.

5 out of 5

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, Silk! Agree on its excellence, or 5/5. I watched it a couple of years ago probably on Britbox. Thanks for the reminder, as I can still see that beauty in the courtroom, wig and all.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am now watching "Spirited Away" which is arguably Hayao Miyazaki greatest animated motion picture. It won the 2002 Oscar as the best animated film. One reviewer (JWelch5742) described it as "The fanciful adventures of a ten-year-old girl named Chihiro, who discovers a secret world when she and her family get lost and venture through a hillside tunnel. When her parents undergo a mysterious transformation, Chihiro must fend for herself as she encounters strange spirits, assorted creatures and a grumpy sorceress who seeks to prevent her from returning to the human world."
It is everything you could want in an animated movie.

5/5

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Now Threatens Spirited Away as Highest ...

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We watched “In The Land Of Saints And Sinners” last night. Liam Neeson has some kind of old Pete 01 working at times. Formulaic but well acted. 4/5*

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am watching "Paprika" which is an anime movie prepared by Satoshi Ken who also produced "Perfect Blue" and "Tokyo Godfathers". Prepare to enter the realm of fantasy and imagination - where reality and dreams collide in a kaleidoscope mindscape. This is an R-Rated video, so it is not for the kiddies.

4/5
https://www.imdb.com/chart/moviemeter/?ref_=tt_ov_pop
Megumi Hayashibara in Paprika (2006)

Paprika (2006) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0851578/mediaviewer/rm2016819456/?ref_=tt_ov_i
Satoshi Kon's untimely early death robbed us of a unique talent. Many people thought Kon the equivalent of Hitchcock in his psychological handling of adult themes in his films.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am watching "Whispers of the Heart" which is another film by Studio Ghibli. This movie is directed by Yoshifumi Kondo and is based on a screen play Hayao Miyazaki. This film was released in 1995. Kondo was supposed to replace Hayao Miyazaki, but Hondo death upset those plans It begins with Shizuku Tsukishima who is a 14-year-old student at Mukaihara Junior High School, where she is best friends with Yūko Harada. She lives in Tokyo with her parents Asako and Seiya and older sister Shiho and is keen on creative writing. One evening, she looks through the checkout cards in her library books and discovers they were all checked out previously by someone named Seiji Amasawa. And it goes on from there. The movie is much better than its sequel "The Cat Returns"'.

4/5
https://www.imdb.com/chart/moviemeter/?ref_=tt_ov_pop
Whisper of the Heart (1995)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113824/mediaviewer/rm3824663809/?ref_=tt_ov_i