PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've been binging Death And Other Details on HULU, a bright surrealistically pretty murder mystery set aboard a privately chartered luxury liner. Mandy Patinkin stars a washed up PI, once considered the greatest detective in the world, aboard ship on a case

The production values are absolutely first rate, the rest of the cast very good in their roles. I found the first episode a delight. But it's proving less so as I continue forward because there is no character arc.

The failure here lies with the writing, which though clever, maybe too clever, and perhaps also the direction, pretty much keeps everything light and surfacey. That's a problem for me. There are too few notes. The cast could do more, but they're not allowed to. The Vision is more important than entertaining.

Still, it's quirky, throws in a bit of totally gratuitous sex and nudity, has a brilliant look and has Patinkin, who can't quite rise above the limited writing, but at least tries. Nobody can say the word, "bullshit" with the same level of conviction as can Patinkin.

3.5 out of 5

Reactions: ssjones and jpmcwjr
3 Body Problem update: finished it last night, first five episodes are great: on point pacing, world building, story arc. We were glued to the screen.

Last three episodes feel rushed, the pacing is totally out of whack, and the storyline becomes completely unrealistic (even if it is extreme SciFi overall, some logical progression should always be there). In fact in the last episode we were checking how much time is left to see if there’s a chance for a complete conclusion.

Still one of the better series we’ve watched.
I just finished 3 Body Problem also. I was able to follow the science mentioned from just keeping up with how science is referred to in literature, but my wife couldn't because she doesn't read or watch movies that involve science.
For a series made by the people who did Game of Thrones, there really could be more sex, nudity, and violence. Just bringing in a couple of characters from GOT that couldn't get gigs elsewhere isn't the same, h aha.

4/5 stars... Netflix

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, watch the first ep., and quit? That's what I recommend for The Gentleman but go maybe 3-4 eps.
Watch the first couple of episodes before making a decision. Each episode has its twists and turns, and there's the intention to leave clues that the viewer can pick up. So it's possible that you might find it more engaging than have I.

Reactions: karam and jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am watching another classic Hayao Miyazaki anime "My Neighbor Totoro". I usually enjoy his films that feature a weird animal as one of the main characters but for some reason I couldn't get into this one. This film normally considered a classic of his is basically about two young children who move to new house in the country. The they meet their new friend Totoro. He is a giant something or other who has magical powers.

3/5

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Another day and I am watching "Grave of the Fireflies". This supposed anti-war film seems more of a railing against rearing the protagonist relatives and the unwillingness of orphaned young ones to work. It is an Isao Takahata. the story is set in and around Kobe, Japan. An orphaned 14-year-old boy and his sister try to survive. A bleak film. It has a stark anti-war message that doesn't ring very true to those who have studied WWII carefully, but you really feel sorry for people in the story.

Corinne Orr, Ayano Shiraishi, Tsutomu Tatsumi, J. Robert Spencer, Emily Neves, and Adam Gibbs in Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Reactions: renfield

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I swear... sooner or later you'll see just about everything on streaming TV. I've been watching TUBI lately even though it has some commercials, and I came across one of the weirdest shows I've seen in awhile. It's called The Longest Date. So imagine if you combined Survivor and Fear Factor and said, hey, let's make it a dating show. Coming from South Africa no less, but presented in English. One of the craziest ideas for a dating show, but quite entertaining! Beautiful scenery, interesting contestants with interesting accents, really tough challenges, and disgusting ways for the losers to stay in the show. Seeing is believing! 5/5

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Tbaggins

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2021
Montana
Just watched the Ripley series on Netflix. Great TV, really enjoyed this and it's much better than the movie as it has time to unfold, worth your time. 5/5
View attachment 302893
Just finished the series tonight. The movie version is one of my favorites and I think this is every bit as good. A few things annoyed me, but like you said the length of the show turned it into a slow burn. 5/5 for me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just finished watching Feud Bette and Joan on HULU. It's a tour de force recounting of the famous feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford that led to their teaming up to make Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, and much much more. Hollywood is the ultimate swamp. The cast is excellent, Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford and Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis, two prime bitches battling it out. Stanly Tucci as movie mogul Jack Warner and Alfred Molina as long suffering director Robert Aldrich. There's plenty of scenery chewing to go around in this no hold barred mini series.

5 out of 5

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Just finished watching Feud Bette and Joan on HULU. It's a tour de force recounting of the famous feud between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford that led to their teaming up to make Whatever Happened To Baby Jane, and much much more. Hollywood is the ultimate swamp. The cast is excellent, Jessica Lange as Joan Crawford and Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis, two prime bitches battling it out. Stanly Tucci as movie mogul Jack Warner and Alfred Molina as long suffering director Robert Aldrich. There's plenty of scenery chewing to go around in this no hold barred mini series.

5 out of 5
That came out on FX I think a few years ago, it was excellent, we watched the weekly episode release and loved it. We then re-watched "Mommie Dearest" as a follow up, the 1981 TV movie. It is also a hoot and full of great lines. (I use "I tried and I failed, so what" a lot on my wife). As a TV movie, its a 5/5.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I watched "The Cat Returns" by director Hiroyuki Morita. it is an anime by Studio Ghibli which is supposed to mean it's good. It is the director's only effort for Ghibli. The film tells the tale of Haru, a normal teenager who can talk to cats, and her adventure in the cat kingdom. It is sort of a spinoff of "Whispers of the Heart" which was much better than this. It does have a first-rate cast of voice actors for this anime. It has Anne Hathaway, Cary Elwes, Peter Boyle, Elliot Gould, Andy Richter, Rene Auberjonois, Tim Curry, Judy Greer and Kristen Bell. Run time is only 75 minutes which is rather short for most Studio Ghibli productions.

3/5

th

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's the beginning of EMMY season, and as a member of the Academy I'm given free access to everything in the competition. Right now I'm binging Foundation season 2 which is on Apple TV +. It's beautifully produced with a good cast. The writing feels a little bit flat as do some of the characters. I loved the 1st season, but am not quite as enamored of season 2.

4.5 out of 5

Reactions: VDL_Piper

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Off the beaten path a little bit is this wonderful French animated film "A Cat in Paris". This features a stellar cast of American actors for the English translation featuring Marcia Gay Harden, Anjelica Huston. Mathew Modine and others.
Dino is a cat that leads a double life. By day, he lives with Zoe, a little girl whose mother, Jeanne, is a police officer. By night, he works with Nico, a burglar with a big heart. Zoe has plunged herself into silence following her father's murder at the hands of gangster Costa. One day, Dino the cat brings Zoe a very valuable bracelet. Lucas, Jeanne's second-in-command, notices this bracelet is part of a jewelry collection that has been stolen. One night, Zoe decides to follow Dino. On the way, she overhears some gangsters and discovers that her nanny is part of the gangsters' team.

1713110558443.png

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am watching "The Castle in the Sky" by master animator Hayao Miyazaki. It is wonder of two youngsters battling against evil in the story. An airship carrying Sheeta – an orphan girl abducted by government agent Muska – is attacked by air pirate Dola and her gang, who seek Sheeta's crystal necklace. Attempting to escape, Sheeta falls from the airship but is saved by the magic of the now-glowing crystal, which lowers her gently. She is caught by Pazu, an orphan who works as a mechanic in a 19th-century mining town, and he takes her to his home to recover.

It is truly charming (not on par with 'Kiki's Delivery Service" but nonetheless it is very good. I don't what it is rated put it's either G or PG depending on how you view the mild violence in the move,

4/5

Castle in the Sky (1986) Phone Wallpaper | Moviemania | Studio ghibli ...