PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Any suggestions on lower nic cigars?

The Brick House Connecticut was good but a tiny bit stronger than I thought it would be due to the Nicaraguan filler.

I mean it wasn’t bad at all and I liked it, but I think I’d like even less nic.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

The Brick House Connecticut was good but a tiny bit stronger than I thought it would be due to the Nicaraguan filler.

Fuentes - anything from their Gran Reserva or Chateau lines, as well as brands they produce under different names such as Montesino. Their Hemingway line can be a little pricey, but the quality is very good.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Fuentes - anything from their Gran Reserva or Chateau lines, as well as brands they produce under different names such as Montesino. Their Hemingway line can be a little pricey, but the quality is very good.
Very good suggestion. I would also add my favorite Fuente line, the Rosado Sungrown Magnum R. It can be kind of confusing since they have other sungrown and rosado wrapped cigars but the ones I am talking about have a number for each size. The 44, 52, 54 are all excellent. Never had the 56, 58 or 60, because I don't like em that thick, but they're probably great too, if you like thicc bois/girls

Now smoking Por Larranaga Picadores from 2017, I think.

20210304_190954.jpg

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
It depends, I think. The MSRP is pretty high, so at full price, or at a B&M you're looking at a fairly pricy stick, similar to Melanios. But also, like the Melanios, they're pretty easy to find at a discount. Holt's routinely has them for $4-6/stick. The only one I've had, I paid like $17 for at a B&M. I really l liked it, though, and would like to get some more.

@jei64822 I'd also suggest the original Serie V if you thought the Melanio was a bit too flat. It is stronger and fuller in body, IMO. I really like the Melanios, personally.
Thanks, I'll have to give that one a try.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH

5 (Cinco) Vegas Gold (this is like a 1Q of the cigar world)
Ashton Classic
Oliva Connecticut
AVO Classic #2
San Cristobal Elegancia

I like the Brickhouse Connecticut....but it does follow the trend of spicing up the Connecticut offerings in the market the last few years. The first couple on the list above won't please cigar snobs, and I'm probably behind the times, but they were all very competent, pleasantly mild, affordable cigars (like 5 for $25-$25 deals). If you are just starting out, I'm pretty sure you can still pick up the 5 Vegas Gold for like 5/$20 at Cigars International/Cigar Bid (it was one of their early house brands).

The cigar world is filthy with quality leaf and construction (compared to 10-20 years ago). The "arms" race is boutique growers with whatever special pizazz wrapper....but the 'house' brands and milder parts of name lines (above) are all typically aces on quality and burn.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Bolivar Habano. Nice flavor, but tight as hell draw. Is that normal for Bolivars ?
Bolivar is generally one of the better Cuban marcas for draw, in my experience, but unfortunately, it is always a possibility with Habanos. And with non-Cubans for that matter, though notably less frequently.

Hopefully, you just got a bum stick. I have had mostly excellent draws from the Petit Coronas, Royal Coronas and Belicosos.

Status
Not open for further replies.