Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'd give the Achilles a shot, but the BVs minis didn't do it for me so I'm a bit scared off Buenaventura in general.

I gave the rest of the box to a friend, and then another friend walks in the door to tell us he's quitting cigars, and drops off a bag full of sticks. I gave a bunch away and kept about half. There are a few in there I was curious about but would never buy so it's a win I suppose.
View attachment 70029
Meh, the Trail Mix was decent, but not worth seeking out with any real effort. I would probably be a lot more bullish on it if it was in the Mini BV or 5x50 sizes in the regular line, but I got kind of bored with the Toro about halfway through or so. The Achilles I remember being totally different from the Buenaventuras. I'm starting to wonder if Curivari struggles with consistency. When I first got into them a few years ago, I loved almost everything I tried. Thought they shared a similar blending style to Padron, but at better prices. Lately, it's been hit and miss, unfortunately, more misses than hits. Of course, it could be my tastes changing too.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Perez Carrillo Encore. I loved this cigar when it came out. I was shocked that a lot of my cigar friends did not share my enthusiasm. Some even hated it. Then it was Cigar Aficionado's #1 cigar of 2018, and I was like, "Sweet vindication, you unsophisticated rubes!" Just kidding, I didn't say that to anyone. But I did feel pretty good about being an early and enthusiastic admirer of the stick.

20210312_124740.jpg

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
When I was reading more widely about cigars I seem to remember running into to a report about Mr. Saka starting up a brand. He was transitioning from working for Drew Estate. Did the cigar justify his reputation in the industry?
Steve Saka was indeed working at Drew Estate. He is considered a bit of unorthodox and not traditional in almost everything he does. People bothered him so much to make a Lancero blend and he named it #NLTHA; Now Leave Me The Hell Alone. He only blends and picks the tobacco, the Sobremesa is produced by Joya which makes it a very good cigar construction wise. I think they are spot on, the Sobremesa blend I like the most. The only real downside can be price, MSRP they can be kinda expensive, he even made a 100 dolar cigar called the Unicorn (which is kinda funny again...).

Status
Not open for further replies.