PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
As with any of these generalizations, there are outliers. If in conversations about Italian foods, someone brings up the Olive Garden, then I have to laugh, as it is the worst food you could serve me. Chinese food... I've been to Korea, and what we have in the US is American Chinese lookalikes. I imagine Italians laugh at the Olive Garden, and the Chinese laugh at any US Chinese places.

French, we have several places in B'ham that serves French foods, but they are owned by Greeks, ha ha. Even the best Barbeque here is made by Greeks. when people come to visit, I take them to the Bright Star, the oldest restaurant in Alabama, and very classy place, and they serve Southern cuisine, but it is Greek, and was the first Greek Restaurant. It will make you slap your mama. Soooooo good. The Greek Orthodox Church in downtown B'ham has a Greek food festival every year. It is the one time I can actually get those Greek families rendition of actual Greek dishes... the entire city turns out for it, and WOW, brother that food is awesome. Funny though, none of their restaurants seem to serve Greek food, just their "take" on other genres, but they do an awesome job of it. It is actually a local phenomena. Why the hell did a Greek family entrench themselves in Southern Culture going back to the Civil War? But, I am glad they did.
I don't doubt, I actually really like Greek food, and especially how each little region, island, or village has its own specialty - most variations on local themes - and utilization of everything available, from mountain to sea. However I find that unlike French for example we lack finesse, and tend to keep things basic. Same goes for drinks, and even tobacco. It's only now for example that barrel-aged Raki is becoming a thing, and a lot of old-time drinkers find it heretical (they prefer raki stored in glass which does not age, or pick anything up like whiskey does for example). Good ingredients which stand on their own merits but not taken to the next level by preparation.

@smokeymo best food I ever had was also in Italy, in Milan specifically.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Sitting here LMAO while boiling water & peeling potatoes for my bland Irish food.
View attachment 119810
That pic reminds of a story. My uncle terry decided to get into raising his own beef. I bought a white cow, named it and started raising it. That cow and my uncle grew close. Come time to butcher it, he couldn’t do it. One day, when my uncle was at work, my aunt drew the meat chart on the side of the cow to persuade him to butcher it. He sold the cow.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Toast

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like it all. French cuisine was initially derived from Italian cuisine and a few centuries brought it to a very different place. The different cuisines evolved from different philosophies, with the Italian to support and present the flavors of its fresh ingredients while the French aristocracy fostered a haute cuisine which sought to mask the often rotten ingredients under heavy sauces. You can keep the haute cuisine. I like French countryside and "rustic" foods, simpler and closer to their roots with fresh ingredients, a good potage, bread, and cheese. Italian food is amongst my favorite, not so much American/Italian as the real thing.
And just as I like Britwood, I like British foods, bangers and mash, faggots and peas, fish and chips, shepherd's pie, a ploughman's lunch, etc. Haggas, not so much.
There's good and horrible stuff everywhere.

Aren't shepherd's pie and Haggas, Scottish? Gimme Creole sausages over English any day. When I was there, I just remember our host making a few boiled chicken dishes and possibly that faggot dish... I had to google it, but I remember it was hunks of pork fat. Fish and fries are good, despite Britain totally not grasping the English language, ha ha. If it weren't for them, we probably would have starved. And, I was told in advance to bring our own sauces, as the food would be similar to hospital food. My buddy brought a small thing of Tabasco, and I just relied on stuff I could find to make it palatable. I'm sorry, but I am very picky about my foods.

I have since acquired a taste for Dunhills, as I have slowly come to appreciate a billiard. I think of it as being similar to developing a taste for different types of salt. mmmmm.... But, I still haven't grasped the missionary position as a mainstay. I like them to buck back a bit to keep it interesting. I would make a lousy Englishman. puffy

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't these things are usually very complicated with a lot of ins and outs and a lot of them that aren't even visible to us. And they're more often then not cherry picked nonsense that focuses on ones experience and not the larger reality which always messier then not. That said they always come down to a simple idea though, which is that at one point for whatever reason the situations people faced meant it made sense for people to do things in a certain way and now those things become tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.