PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Must be that extremely powerful homemade telescope you've been working on.
wrong type of technology. Not to give too much away. But the I've been bugging the ghost of certain famous advisors to the British monarchy. That should be enough for you to scry out my meanings here. ;) As with most things in my life the results are interesting but not what I was looking for.

Reactions: Servant King

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Lrecic
That pic reminds of a story. My uncle terry decided to get into raising his own beef. I bought a white cow, named it and started raising it. That cow and my uncle grew close. Come time to butcher it, he couldn’t do it. One day, when my uncle was at work, my aunt drew the meat chart on the side of the cow to persuade him to butcher it. He sold the cow.

Precisely why I don't name my potatoes. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Aren't shepherd's pie and Haggas, Scottish? Gimme Creole sausages over English any day. When I was there, I just remember our host making a few boiled chicken dishes and possibly that faggot dish... I had to google it, but I remember it was hunks of pork fat. Fish and fries are good, despite Britain totally not grasping the English language, ha ha. If it weren't for them, we probably would have starved. And, I was told in advance to bring our own sauces, as the food would be similar to hospital food. My buddy brought a small thing of Tabasco, and I just relied on stuff I could find to make it palatable. I'm sorry, but I am very picky about my foods.

I have since acquired a taste for Dunhills, as I have slowly come to appreciate a billiard. I think of it as being similar to developing a taste for different types of salt. mmmmm.... But, I still haven't grasped the missionary position as a mainstay. I like them to buck back a bit to keep it interesting. I would make a lousy Englishman. puffy
They have HP and Worchester sauces, amongst others, so it's not quite such a wild and barren culinary scene. And there are spices and ingredients from all over the "sun never sets on the British Empire" empire.

Of course, the steak and kidney pipe I bought off a street vendor in London damned near killed me. Good thing I was 19 at the time, with the constitution of a bull, or it might very well have done just that.

I love etouffee and andouille sausage, along with a mess of greens as much as anyone, but there are times when it's going to be the flavors of bangers and mash.

They have HP and Worchester sauces, amongst others, so it's not quite such a wild and barren culinary scene. And there are spices and ingredients from all over the "sun never sets on the British Empire" empire.

Of course, the steak and kidney pipe I bought off a street vendor in London damned near killed me. Good thing I was 19 at the time, with the constitution of a bull, or it might very well have done just that.

I love etouffee and andouille sausage, along with a mess of greens as much as anyone, but there are times when it's going to be the flavors of bangers and mash.
I’d love to see a Cajun factory made pipe. But, I bet it wouldn’t take off. It would be a sexy pipe, but so many would report back that it caused tongue bite.

beargreasediet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
Too close to Seattle.
A Bugatti no less? I'd settle for a Fiat 500 as long as Sophia was in the back.
View attachment 119823
Ah yes, Sophia.... Not to rain on the parade, but I think the crazy/hot matrix must be taken into account in any serious discussion on the subject, and it seems that Italy tends towards the dangerous side of this curve. I suggest there are other options with the same performance specs but much easier to maintain and more user friendly.

Reactions: Streeper541

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Ah yes, Sophia.... Not to rain on the parade, but I think the crazy/hot matrix must be taken into account in any serious discussion on the subject, and it seems that Italy tends towards the dangerous side of this curve.
It came to my attention that some may not be familiar with the Crazy/Hot Matrix. For those whom this applies, behold...

Reactions: beargreasediet

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been to England twice, the first time braced for really plain and not appealing food, and it was quite good. Breakfast is the best consistently good English meal, but their roasts, at "carvereries " and stews and fish and chips were all tasty, and if you had enough of those, there were many fine Indian restaurants for a change of cuisine. It wasn't Paris; I get that. But I most often found food that was appealing and that I could eat with gusto. England went through a time in the 1950's when it was long in getting over the deprivations of war and its lagging economy, but when I got there, the English table had revived considerably.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
What is it About Italians?

The thing is, after the Roman's got their asses trounced and were no longer the masters of the universe, they decided they needed a new thing. After struggling for a few hundred years, eventually the tomato made it's way to Italy and while the English were focused on tobacco and figuring out how to do make sheep's intestines even less palatable, and the French (who had already perfected bread and wine) spent their time trying to figure out how to get men to prance around wearing lace, wigs and tights, the Italians said "You know, with these tomatoes and the noodles Marco Polo brought back, I really bet we could do something special. If we get the world hooked on it, the gluten will make them sluggish and we can take over the world again!" Well, eventually they did get us hooked but much like Taco Bell, they spent so much time trying to make new dishes out of the same seven ingredients, they forgot about developing any new weapons technology. Then along came Leonardo and Michelangelo and suddenly, they had a new thing - design in its many forms and food. Turns out while the Italians were stuffing themselves with their own delicious foods, they had more time than other countries to think about more designs while their stomachs settled. Hence, the flair we see in Italian pipes, cars, motorcycles, fabrics and let us not forget, the icon Vespa. Then jump forward to the 70's, Saturday Night Fever came out and suddenly Italians were cool again so they gave up thoughts of world domination and now just focus on trying to be being cool and designing cool things. Does this answer your questions?

Reactions: edger and Laurent

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I love Italy, especially their people (Sofia ?) and food (a good Risotto Milanaise or Carbonara *drool* and Ossobuco *more drool*, Pizza they can keep), but their cars not so much. Maybe the saddest example was a neighbour who had a Alfa 147 (ok, it is a sad excuse for a car anyway, even it being Italian) which stood more in the garage than on the driveway. Before that he had an old Volvo, that car was build like a tank but he parted with because he wanted Italian design..... True Italian sportscars like Ferrari or Pagani are beautiful, Lamborghini sold his soul to german engineering which improved reliability greatly but made their cars a bit soulless.

@cosmicfolklore @captainsousie

In my opinion (It has to be an opinion as Indian food is very vast and diverse) -

While some Indian foods will pack a little heat - Good / Exceptional Indian food was never hot at all.

So how did we get here?

1. Indian food (Specially the poor) used a lot of pepper to cover up for bad ingredients historically
2. Pepper was also used to cover up for bad cooking
3. The culture of eating out by the middle class in restaurants is fairly recent (100 - 120 years or so)
4. The cooks that emigrated out of India - They were not the best cooks. They were just ordinary people looking for a better life elsewhere- So they carried on their tradition of hiding bad cooking by making it spicy
5. While home cooked meals are simple, it is still a lost art. With every generation the cooking skills are going down
6. The Indian cooking the world is most familiar with- They originated from the kitchen of Kings and large landowners. They had army of cooks who used to work full time, making dishes which were extremely labor intensive and took a long time to cook. These foods when adapted to a restaurant format, lost a lot of quality.
7. As an example- Biriyani is an Indian food most is familiar with. Even an average biriyani takes more than an hour to cook, and really succulent biryani should take 4-5 hours. In India you get specialized biriyani restaurants who cooks them in fixed portions and in batches, so it is still delightful but in a general purpose restaurant where it is cooked in 15 minutes from partially prepared ingredients, it takes a lot of talent to make it equally good. Untalented cooks will just use pepper to make it better
8. Food is never static - It always evolves with global cultural influence. Just that Indian food evolved to be spicy ?

To summarize- Indian food became spicy as the cooks who emigrated used heat to cover up for bad cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.