What Tobaccos Hit You from Out of Left Field?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
Definitely C & D's Visions of Celephais. It has a wine must-y smell, and an incense-y, grape-y, flavour. And just a touch of some old-fashioned perfume, like your over 70 year old Grandmother might have worn(but that's a good thing! It works!).

Upon opening my first can, I wasn't sure I'd like it...it was almost as if I had snorted grape Kool-Aid powder. But I lit up a bowl, and I was amazed and surprised, and it has become my every day smoke.

Reactions: ofafeather

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
There have been a few tobaccos over the years that have opened up new flavor profiles to me, and made me dive down some deep rabbit holes into specific types of blends. A couple of note:
Match Victoria, the blend that made me "get" VaPers. Now I smoke Va based blends 80 percent of the time.
Oriental Silk. which opened my eyes to non-Latakia oriental blends.
Bosun Cut Plug, which made me understand the hype (both positive and negative) about Lakeland blends.

I don't smoke any of these three blends often anymore, but they were definitely a gateway to many of my favorites.

Feb 3, 2022
Hawaii
I've had blissful bowls of 20 year old Haddo's and 15 year old Stonehaven and Marlin Flake that still make me salivate, but loading my bowl, I knew they were going to be great. My mind was blown the first bowl of fresh GH Dark Plug. It hadn't even turned one, so I wasn't prepared to be truly wowed. Wowed, I was. It was great! Still is. Ticks all the boxes for me and I've never had a "mehh" smoke of the stuff yet.