What Tobaccos Hit You from Out of Left Field?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes
48 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
71 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
There are quite a few for me. Two stand out to me in recent years because they were both ? on in the forums that it took me 20 years to try them.

Royal Yacht - listened to the crowd and isn’t try Royal Yuck when i had been smoking most Dunhill English blends regularly. Tried it in 2020 and that was an eye opener in a good way. Fantastic flavor, perfect strength for me, and zero chance for bite or smoking hot, even when pushed.

OGS - Love it or hate it, another standard that often gets panned in the forums. Finally tried it last year! Wow! Much more body and flavor tha I expected. The subtle citrus topping was right on and did even better when smoked repeatedly in the same pipe, which I did for most of the tin.

The other side for me is that I never really got on well with McClellands. I really wanted to…there were some occasional stellar moments but in general was just too fussy for me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. I had no intentions of buying any more tobacco but that piker Jess kept bragging on it so I had to try it. The shit is tasty as hell and when I try it again in another few years with some age it will be great I believe.
He kept saying it is the closest thing to the old Three Nuns. We shall se, I am hoping he is right. I do trust him so I believe I will have a winner quite soon. They had a great sale on it. 13 and change for a 3.5 oz sized tin. The price is sure right.
I bought 35 3.5 ounce tins of it so I didn't go very deep.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
For me, it was my first English Blend tobaccos. I had been experimenting with dozens of different Aromatics, and then I joined this site and my eyes were open to other possibilities. It wasn't any specific blend, as I had purchased and was prepared to smoke about 3 different blends when I decided to try them. I remember that they were Frog Morton, Nightcap, and Chelsea Morning. There were obvious slight differences between them, but they were all English, and for me, the difference between most Aromatics, and English blends is like night and day. The nutty creaminess I got was nothing like anything else I had smoked and was truly an AHA moment for me.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro. I had no intentions of buying any more tobacco but that piker Jess kept bragging on it so I had to try it.
Jesse was my 2020 Secret Santa and he gifted to me a tin Doblone d'Oro (2018) along with others. I have not opened that Doblone d'Oro yet. I need to open it and give it a try. Thanks again @sablebrush52

Reactions: ofafeather

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
For me it was that first tin of The Untouchables I bought last May. I enjoyed it so much, I bought five more tins in September and I have two left.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Cornell And Diehl Saint Patricks Reserve. Way better then what I was expecting. I got cause if you throw a free tin of anything in with something I am already buying, well I'll take it why not! Could go for more of that. And while I like aros their usually not for me on the same level as the other blends I smoke.

BobbyD

Lurker
Feb 5, 2022
Rockland County, NY
C&D Pegasus. Totally changed my burley game.

Since I started the hobby a year ago, I've been mostly an OTC burley guy. Smokes like Granger & CH for instance have been very forgiving. Light nic, very non-offensive smoke. Doesn't irritate my nose.

Pegasus started out really rough. Harsh smoke and bitey. Thought it wasn't for me. I stuck with it and halfway into the bowl everything changed. It mellowed out. The flavors developed and the smoke wasn't harsh anymore. I smoked it down to a glorious white ash and felt fantastic afterwards.

Still tends to start really harsh for me. Tried different pipes. Maybe it's my packing? Regardless, I love it, and I'll be trying more C&D for sure.