What Tobaccos Hit You from Out of Left Field?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
I'm curious to know what tobaccos caught you off guard, from out of left field, you didn't see it coming or maybe you did - but which tobaccos have stuck in your brain as either changing your mind, expanding your mind, or getting you more excited/relaxed than others.

I don't care if you think they are total shit by today's standards for yourself, but over the years, even if you have left them behind, which smokes changed your life.

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Bayou Night seemed pretty harsh on the first order, but there must have been something about it that beckoned to me because, after a long pause, I ordered a second baggie, and it really unfolded for me. Iwan Ries Three Star Blue was somewhat the same way, all edges until the second pouch, when it came to life. Other blends like C&D Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall were an immediate hit that stayed in my good graces. I think some blends have a sort of learning curve. If you think about it, or maybe don't think about it, for a while, its qualities become clear.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
When I first smoked Erinmore, I was walking the dog. I had to stop and take a knee for a while to get the spins to stop. It was pretty strong. Now that STG makes it, it's a totally wanker now.
kept wondering why people said this blend was strong. i have one tin of it from 2019 and im far, far from impressed. probably my least favorite blend ive smoked - given the hype surrounding it. so far ive only been brought low by Solani Aged Burley Flake and it was after two bowls.

on topic

Nat Sherman 536/Deluxe Navy Rolls/Wessex Dark Flake changed the game for me

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a tough one for me. There have been very few blends that really knocked my socks off or taught me something new.

Avoiding the usual suspects, long deceased blends available today only in zombie equivalents, the only exception would be St Bruno, which doesn't enjoy the blend of Virginias that the Ogden's product had, but which still manages to be something entirely different from the rest and something that I really enjoy smoking.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
It was Dunhill Nightcap. I started with Maduro cigars. Then, for some stupid reason I believed the advice that I should begin pipe smoking with aromatics. I tried several. I hated them all. I ordered the big 3 from Dunhill. Emp, 965, Nightcap. My first properly dried bowl of Nightcap was amazing. Bold, rich tobacco taste.

2nd tobacco was G.L. Pease Quiet Nights. That's where I first experienced complexity and nuance.

3rd. G.L. Pease Union Square
I was only smoking heavy English blends, but wanted to see what all the Virginia hype was about. I bought an 8 year old tin of union Square for $10. I cracked the tin expecting nirvana. I was very underwhelmed and thought it was bland and boring. I would revisit it from time to time and always had the same experience. I ended up giving away all of the tin as samples to people except for 2 bowls. About a year later I went back to try again and it was incredible. Rich toasted bread, honey Graham cracker, floral sweetness. That was the day I woke up to Virginia's.

4th was McClelland reds and that ketchup. Sweet, tangy, savory. Amazing

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
You know when everyone watching fireworks go Ooh Ahh? That was me when I first started smoking a pipe and smoked my first bowl of John Cotton's Smyrna. I love the stuff and I'm running low on supply. Oh well, since then there have been other Ooh Ahhs.

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
When I first smoked Erinmore, I was walking the dog. I had to stop and take a knee for a while to get the spins to stop. It was pretty strong. Now that STG makes it, it's a totally wanker now.
Coming from Cigars, I had a Camacho Triple Maduro that I remember having a VERY similar experience with. LOVED it, knocked me to my knees.
I've smoked it since, and hasn't wow'd me the same way, but I have a very fond memory of that