Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Chance has this looking pretty sweet about to expire….☕
That’s a damn nice one, that price will definitely go up. Man I want that but I’m broke.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
In 1947, after the war ended Kaywoodie introduced a $15, $20, and $25 line of pipes.

View attachment 276870View attachment 276871

One of the problems with a Kaywoodie is after they switched to a three hole stinger the quality went on a straight line downhill to mass produced drug store pipes, instead of luxury pipes only.

So if you see a Connoisseur, a Nintey Fiver, or Centennial for sale, was it made in 1947 or 1967?

I’ve never seen any of these three in person.

Wonder where they all went?

There are lots of high end Marxman pipes for sale.
I have two Centennial’s, one Connoisseur and two Straight grain’s. One Straight is a London made and is very inferior to the US version that I have. The Centennial’s are two of the finest pipes I own, absolutely exquisite in quality and as smokers. The bulldog is a four hole but the billiard has been neutered but I believe it was also a four hole as they are both of exceptional quality.

Reactions: MattRVA

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I picked up this Super Grain billiard on eBay and in the UK do it must have traveled from across the pond at some point. It came with the smallest Drinkless I’ve ever seen and the two were brought for the equivalent of $55. The Dublin below is a gift from my good friend, the little Drinkless is packed up to send as a gift for another forum member that was quite taken with it. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The Straight Grain, I’m pretty sure this is a custom made as it’s a stingerless push tenon. I understand the Straight and Bullseye were available custom made to the individual smokers preference. They sold at at far higher price than Dunhill’s were going for in the US at the time. I brought this NOS from the US and it was my most expensive piece at the time, about a year and a half ago.

I’m desperately searching for a Birdseye but I’ve never even seen one up for sale as yet. I’ve been looking for three years, I believe they are incredibly rare. image.jpg

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
For some reason I can’t view the original listing on eBay but a late 30s- mid 40s push stem Kaywoodie Super Grain in excellent condition just sold on eBay for $96.

If you adjust for inflation and assume that this was a $10 pipe in 1938, it would’ve cost around $215 in today’s money.