PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I have see some some pretty cool pictures of pipe tamps in peoples collections. When I have looked online at the usual places I buy tobacco, the tamp selection is usually pretty boring.

Anyone have any tips on places that have a wide selection of tampers online?

And I know many of you don't use them and have varied opinions on their usefulness, which is totally cool. Just looking for recommendations on good inventory and sellers. Thanks!

Reactions: Jshogan2

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Our forum member @cosmicfolklore makes some great tampers. Here is the one he made for me, I use it daily.

View attachment 53966View attachment 53967View attachment 53968
That thing looks like a poison dart...lol

community+blow+dart.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SP has a wide array of a number of traditional tampers, in terms of colors available, with some variety of style, not exotic but wide selection. I am not a collector, but have plenty more tampers and tools plain and fancy than I need, but use them all. Some Forums members carve some real exotics to watch for, and then PM them to inquire about getting one.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
That thing looks like a poison dart...lol

Honestly speaking, I was going to keep it as a souvenir because it was so special and unique, but Michael (a.k.a. @cosmicfolklore) talked me into using it. Although I have many tampers, this is the one I find myself reaching for all the time. As you may see, the bottom is not flat so it makes a huge difference while tamping the tobacco, especially on the sides. The head of the arrow is ideal for removing the ash mid-bowl because of the pointy shape.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Honestly speaking, I was going to keep it as a souvenir because it was so special and unique, but Michael (a.k.a. @cosmicfolklore) talked me into using it. Although I have many tampers, this is the one I find myself reaching for all the time. As you may see, the bottom is not flat so it makes a huge difference while tamping the tobacco, especially on the sides. The head of the arrow is ideal for removing the ash mid-bowl because of the pointy shape.
Here'in lies the problem. You let Michael talk you into something. lol

Love to know how he made that one. The texture is very cool.

I peruse auction sights and see all kinds of cool sterling silver buttons or thimbles that would make sweet tampers. I'm not that crafty unfortunately.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Please sir a maybe naive question and I can see you say it makes a difference but what does the bottom not being flat do? And why do I feel like I neeeeed one now ?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I don't know about unique tampers but...

How do you catch a unique rabbit?

U neek up on it...

Sorry. Been wanting to post that since I first read the title of this thread. I've had just the right amount of bourbon to do it now. ?

Thanks guys. I just had a mad rush on my tamps last week... sold both of them, ha ha. And, I just finished making these two custom one for a fellow forum member.
image3.jpeg
The one on the left, I was asked to make a gothic tamp. The coil at the bottom is a snake, and you can't see it from this angle, but it is crawling up the vine up to the garnet. There is also a femur bone holding up the scraper.
The one on the right is fashioned after a whaling harpoon. I had to modify the shape of the point, so that it could still be used to clear out a chamber full of ashes, and the aquamarines are droplets of water.
The video that I have shows them better, but I couldn't figure out how to load a video on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.