PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
Thanks guys. I just had a mad rush on my tamps last week... sold both of them, ha ha. And, I just finished making these two custom one for a fellow forum member.
View attachment 54930
The one on the left, I was asked to make a gothic tamp. The coil at the bottom is a snake, and you can't see it from this angle, but it is crawling up the vine up to the garnet. There is also a femur bone holding up the scraper.
The one on the right is fashioned after a whaling harpoon. I had to modify the shape of the point, so that it could still be used to clear out a chamber full of ashes, and the aquamarines are droplets of water.
The video that I have shows them better, but I couldn't figure out how to load a video on here.
Nice, very nice, in fact, they are mustard! ?.
I definitely need one or two in my life!
Next customer right here ??‍♂️

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Please sir a maybe naive question and I can see you say it makes a difference but what does the bottom not being flat do? And why do I feel like I neeeeed one now ?

When the bottom of a tamper is flat, the top of the burned tobacco ashes also becomes flat after tamping. What I like doing however is creating a cone-line shape (or like the head of a parejo cigar to be precise) out of the ashes. IMHO this provides even burn, because tobacco inside a pipe tends to burn from the center thus leaving the sides unburnt (especially the flake tobacco). Hope that makes sense. I remember discussing it with member @tmb152 many years ago, unfortunately I couldn't find the thread.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
When the bottom of a tamper is flat, the top of the burned tobacco ashes also becomes flat after tamping. What I like doing however is creating a cone-line shape (or like the head of a parejo cigar to be precise) out of the ashes. IMHO this provides even burn, because tobacco inside a pipe tends to burn from the center thus leaving the sides unburnt (especially the flake tobacco). Hope that makes sense. I remember discussing it with member @tmb152 many years ago, unfortunately I couldn't find the thread.
Perfect sense, bit like a golf tee in shape, wonder if I could test it with one. Thank you. Definitely need one now!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I should add, my "coz" sits in an honored position next to a meerschaum my wife, rest her soul, gifted me forty plus years ago. I treasure the pipe. I've used the tamper a few times and value it as a unique gift. Fingers are still my preferred tamper though. I learned to prefer the finger when in the Air Force and learned to travel as light as possible. My bailout bag had a couple of tins and two "basket" pipes and matches stashed carefully inside.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Doesn't the finger get burned? I have seen some old-timers doing it, especially you @warren. I just can't bring myself to put my finger into a bowl of tobacco that is burning, particularly after the charring light.
You would think you would get burned, but I didn't. Obviously you don't need to tamp after a light but some time later when ash is present, an active insulator. You keep the possibility of a burn in the back of your mind and cease and desist when needed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The charring plumes the tobacco, and though it needs a tamp, I don't recall any special issues using a finger. But the charring light is by nature incomplete, and if the tobacco is alight, it is so incompletely, especially as regards the true light. Thus the charring light tamp is very soft, only firm enough to restore the very top ash. The tamp is slight and the tobacco is either out or close to it, thus not conducive to a burnt finger.

The true light however produces a steady burn, at least for awhile. Tamping this light is done through the ash of the charring light.

I really don't remember how the finger negotiates these lights; the above is my best explanation 2.5 years after my last pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
The charring plumes the tobacco, and though it needs a tamp, I don't recall any special issues using a finger. But the charring light is by nature incomplete, and if the tobacco is alight, it is so incompletely, especially as regards the true light. Thus the charring light tamp is very soft, only firm enough to restore the very top ash. The tamp is slight and the tobacco is either out or close to it, thus not conducive to a burnt finger.

The true light however produces a steady burn, at least for awhile. Tamping this light is done through the ash of the charring light.

I really don't remember how the finger negotiates these lights; the above is my best explanation 2.5 years after my last pipe.

Thanks for the thorough explanation @saltedplug, that's how I do it, too; at least most of the time. The only difference is sometimes my bowl is ready to smoke after the charring light, I just use the tamper to expand the ember. Even after the true light I take few puffs while tamping. I don't think I can do that with my finger.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Perfect sense, bit like a golf tee in shape, wonder if I could test it with one. Thank you. Definitely need one now!
Golf tees are the most available and cheapest decent tampers. I have several hundred, but only because I play golf. I also like about a 30º slant to push down the sides and gently curve the top.

But they aren't slick! One of these days, I hope to get a Cosmic®.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I have several pipe tools but one of my favourite tampers is a Candlestick from a game of Clue, it’s tied onto a Opinel knife. However I came across this early 19th Century Swaggerstick with a silver pommel that’s the perfect size for a tamper. The silver tip is missing and I’m contemplating cutting it down to about thee inches. I’m not sure what wood it is, maybe Beech or Poplar. Any opinions?image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.