Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

G

Gimlet

It's called unemployment. Forced retirement. No one wants me. But do have shitload of time for hobbies x)
I know that feeling. I've been self-employed for 25+ years. Two years ago I sold the family home after my mother died, moved to the other end of the country with a bit of money in my pocket and decided I'd just get a job and let someone else have the stress and get the ulcers for a change.
I'm 57 in April and it seems if you're over 50 you're worthless. I applied for all sorts including the most menial jobs and couldn't even get and interview. Occasionally an employer would reply to tell me they wouldn't be pursuing my application, most never bothered to reply at all.

I thought after 30 years of experience on the tools I might be able to transfer to a managerial, supervisory or technical job within the construction industry, but in the UK, unless you have a university degree you're assumed to be an educationally subnormal illiterate incapable of learning, even though there's a wealth of evidence that more often than not the opposite is the case.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don’t have a job.

Since I was 25, forty years ago, I’ve been a lawyer.

My father and his father and his father and all their fathers before them were farmers, even in Scotland centuries ago.

I love not having a job.

People pay me to do what I am, a lawyer.

But when I get too old to lawyer, I’m not a farmer, so I may sell my office and farm and travel.

Or I might be God’s Great Exception, and not ever get too old.:)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm going to be a contrarian here and take issue with the underlying assumption that loving your job is particularly important or desirable. We like to think that the choices we make in life are not (or shouldn't be) trade offs, but most of the time they are; particularly the choice we're talking about here. Generally speaking the more personally rewarding (which for purposes of this discussion I'll label "fun") jobs pay less and the ones that pay more are less fun. That's pretty much how supply & demand works; higher compensation draws people to jobs until supply satisfies demand. Factor into that the scarcity of certain desirable skill sets and you explain a lot, although not all, of wage discrepancy.

I've never really worried too much about loving my job. The word love sets an unrealistically high bar, one that's almost impossible to define. Moreover we're not talking about a binary outcome here, it's really a spectrum: there's a lot of space between hate, dislike, indifference, like, and love. Considered in isolation would I like to love my job? Sure, I guess, but considering a career in isolation is so artificial a construct as to be meaningless. The reality is that most of us have other constraints that are as, or more, important than our personal preferences. I consider taking care of my family the highest priority, full stop. So if sending my kids to college, for example, requires working at something I don't love so what? This is the sacrifice that each generation makes to increase the possibility of a better life for the next one. Personally I think it's ok to be a bit selfish; parts of our lives need to be just for us. So I think it's ok to make unilateral decisions about friends and hobbies, for example, that are just for me. Careers and everything that goes with them, however, have a huge impact on other people in our lives and their interests not only need to be considered, as far as I'm concerned they're paramount.

Yeah, there are nuanced arguments about if I'm happier my kids are too, but that's a straw man position. I'm not talking about taking a job you detest (although making that argument wouldn't be difficult) I'm saying that the search for a job you love is inherently selfish, frequently fruitless, and can easily have unintended costs that affect other people.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I kinda wandered into my field without any clue what I’d actually be doing. I can’t imagine doing anything else at this point.

I’m the guy that gets called in when everyone else that’s tried to resolve the issue has failed. Shit has hit the fan and large production lines are sitting idle and production has ceased. I thrive under pressure, I do my best work when my back is up against the wall. I’m one of those weird people who eat stress for breakfast.

I’m lucky enough to work for a company that gives me a lot of leeway to resolve the issue by any means necessary and compensates me well to do it.

bobomatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2023
Colombia
roberthunt.com
...but in the UK, unless you have a university degree you're assumed to be an educationally subnormal illiterate incapable of learning, even though there's a wealth of evidence that more often than not the opposite is the case.
I think that mindset is changing in the US. Before I retired, I worked for a major IT giant, they were pursuing and hiring individuals with hands on experience. A degree was secondary and not required. My son left the Air Force after his comittment was up and was going to use the educational benefits to pursue a degree. However, he was offered a six figure job with a large defense contractor before he even had the chance to look at schools. Experience trumps a degree almost everytime.

G

Gimlet

I think that mindset is changing in the US. Before I retired, I worked for a major IT giant, they were pursuing and hiring individuals with hands on experience. A degree was secondary and not required. My son left the Air Force after his comittment was up and was going to use the educational benefits to pursue a degree. However, he was offered a six figure job with a large defense contractor before he even had the chance to look at schools. Experience trumps a degree almost everytime.
I hope it's changing here too, but if so it will be glacial change.
It's particularly galling when politicians, corporate bosses, celebrity tycoons and media commentators queue up on TV to tell us complacently (invariably in an attempt to justify open-door immigration) that the over-50's don't want to work anymore, leaving us invisible over-50's screaming into the void.

Aug 1, 2012
I will say that out of the 19 years I've been in my profession, about 5 have been in jobs I love and this one will change when management changes. For the good or the bad, I do not know. I'll take it while I have it though.

Also, if I hadn't been through the crap jobs, I wouldn't be able to appreciate this one.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Interesting reading this thread. Thanks to all for posting.

I'm a musician. I've played music professionally for 30 years now. I guess that makes me a "journeyman". I think I've got about 30 more years to go, so that's hopeful. Ha ha. I've had countless various "jobs" over the years (including a 4 1/2 year stint in the military.)

I think everyone who gets into this trade must at some point in their youth entertain aspirations of fame and fortune. My problem is, I like being a home body. The music lifestyle was never the right fit for me. After a decade of touring I decided I did not want to perform for a living. Then in my thirties, I would talk to the generation coming up behind me, some of whom were making it; you know, touring internationally, winning awards, selling albums(!), being featured in magazines, you name it; people I know who seemed to be "making it"—even they were unhappy for all the obvious reasons. They would tell me about it. Life on the road sucks, unless you're a certain kind of person I guess, and a lot of people in this industry succumb to drugs and alcohol, and burn out in their mid-20s. Just check out the 27 Club. There were times in my mid-20s when I thought I was going to die young if I carried on the path I was on. For a few years I was even making good money, but I was rootless and unhappy. And I felt like most of the people around me were also unhappy. I had to get out.

Now I teach privately, do some writing commissions, and perform locally. The teaching is my main job and primary source of income. I'd say I love it about 25% of the time, enjoy it 50% of the time, and hate it 25% of the time; but when I'm hating it it's pretty much just due to boredom, so I can't really complain. It's not a high-stress job, it's mostly rewarding, and it pays ok. Doing gigs is something I (mostly) love doing. I turn down a lot of gigs I'm not interested in, or if I know they're going to bring un-needed stress into my life.

The chances are, over time I'll transition half way out of teaching and do more writing and recording; but only if I take up more performing again. Live gigs are the only way to get paid these days. Streaming has destroyed revenue for recording musicians, for the most part. Unfortunately, success in that arena depends a lot on your ability to market yourself on social media, which is extremely time-consuming and pays zero dollars.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wouldn't be able to appreciate this one.
Yup, a summer as a "gandy dancer" guaranteed I'd become a copper and not a track layer. I will credit laying track as giving me great leg strength and, more importantly great respect for those that can lay a strainght track, dig good ditch, fell a tree safely and all the other physically demanding jobs out there. I simply admire a man/woman who takes great pride in their work.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm going to be a contrarian here and take issue with the underlying assumption that loving your job is particularly important or desirable. We like to think that the choices we make in life are not (or shouldn't be) trade offs, but most of the time they are; particularly the choice we're talking about here. Generally speaking the more personally rewarding (which for purposes of this discussion I'll label "fun") jobs pay less and the ones that pay more are less fun. That's pretty much how supply & demand works; higher compensation draws people to jobs until supply satisfies demand. Factor into that the scarcity of certain desirable skill sets and you explain a lot, although not all, of wage discrepancy.

I've never really worried too much about loving my job. The word love sets an unrealistically high bar, one that's almost impossible to define. Moreover we're not talking about a binary outcome here, it's really a spectrum: there's a lot of space between hate, dislike, indifference, like, and love. Considered in isolation would I like to love my job? Sure, I guess, but considering a career in isolation is so artificial a construct as to be meaningless. The reality is that most of us have other constraints that are as, or more, important than our personal preferences. I consider taking care of my family the highest priority, full stop. So if sending my kids to college, for example, requires working at something I don't love so what? This is the sacrifice that each generation makes to increase the possibility of a better life for the next one. Personally I think it's ok to be a bit selfish; parts of our lives need to be just for us. So I think it's ok to make unilateral decisions about friends and hobbies, for example, that are just for me. Careers and everything that goes with them, however, have a huge impact on other people in our lives and their interests not only need to be considered, as far as I'm concerned they're paramount.

Yeah, there are nuanced arguments about if I'm happier my kids are too, but that's a straw man position. I'm not talking about taking a job you detest (although making that argument wouldn't be difficult) I'm saying that the search for a job you love is inherently selfish, frequently fruitless, and can easily have unintended costs that affect other people.
There's a lot of wisdom, here.
If I didn't have a wife and kids, I'd do something I'm "passionate" about and live out of my car when I didn't make enough money.
But I don't have that luxury. I'm passionate about my wife and kids, so providing for them is where the satisfaction lies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Before being unemployed, I was a software engineer for troubleshooting and repairing one of the major middleware for one of the largest corp in US. Did I love my job? Honest truth is, I had no feelings for my job. I was one of the top performer. Highest customer rating. But to me, it was my job. I was good at it because they paid me, and I wanted to make sure I was worth the coin they are giving me. For crying out loud, I have Zoology degree. Enjoyed History, and dreamed of sitting in Africa somewhere watching monkeys fingering each other, or playing bagpipes, or teaching history. But met a beautiful girl, money was needed, wanted to have family.. Took the first job that came along. Everyone loved me for keeping my head down, and getting things done. Well, everyone, but the last couple of managers. Difference between most male managers and most female managers, from my experience is, female managers want the job done, and wants their ass kissed. I didn't realised that ass kissing was one of my job requirements. 25 years and out I go.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
My favorite job was working for the Treasury Department as a "banknote spendability authentication agent, grade 2".

The work? They'd send me a million dollars a week in assorted denominations to spend in any way I liked, and at the end of the year I had to fill out a Currency Evaluation Form that wanted to know if the money spent OK or not. It was literally just two checkboxes... Spend OK? Yes or No?---and I'd mail it back.

Not especially challenging, but otherwise a pretty good gig.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
My favorite job was working for the Treasury Department as a "banknote spendability authentication agent, grade 2".

The work? They'd send me a million dollars a week in assorted denominations to spend in any way I liked, and at the end of the year I had to fill out a Currency Evaluation Form that wanted to know if the money spent OK or not. It was literally just two checkboxes... Spend OK? Yes or No?---and I'd mail it back.

Not especially challenging, but otherwise a pretty good gig.

I had essentially the same job in Zimbabwe, but was given a trillion dollars each week to spend instead of a measly million.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I loved the work (aircraft structural analysis and design). I worked at both extremely good companies and awful ones. I've worked with incredible people and people for whom death was too good.

If I could go back to the beginning I'd do it again, but not if it meant working in the industry the way it is now. Far too many morons who don't let a lack of capability or experience get in their way of screwing everything up. They're the type most likely to get promoted now, especially if they fit the DEI profile.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
If I could go back to the beginning I'd do it again, but not if it meant working in the industry the way it is now. Far too many morons who don't let a lack of capability or experience get in their way of screwing everything up. They're the type most likely to get promoted now, especially if they fit the DEI profile.

Multiply by power generation and distribution systems, water purification and distribution systems, dams, highways, bridges, airports, waste collection & treatment, HVAC, communications, information technology, commercial facilities & large structures in general, and on and on...

Societal suicide performed as an act of elaborate, protracted virtue signaling.

It would be comedy-routine-funny if it wasn't so sad.