PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

B.Lew

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
My favorite job was working for the Treasury Department as a "banknote spendability authentication agent, grade 2".

The work? They'd send me a million dollars a week in assorted denominations to spend in any way I liked, and at the end of the year I had to fill out a Currency Evaluation Form that wanted to know if the money spent OK or not. It was literally just two checkboxes... Spend OK? Yes or No?---and I'd mail it back.

Not especially challenging, but otherwise a pretty good gig.
Hmmm, I’d expect to see you smoking better pipes and tobacco given the perks of your former line of work.

Reactions: dunnyboy

tracerbullet

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
As I think about it I should have been more specific. I’ve had jobs in my life I didn’t particularly care about, however I loved my profession and my career. The last thirty five years I had both, a job I loved doing and it was my profession

Last edited:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I worked for 15 years in a small subsidiary of a major corporation with G and E in it's title. We made electrical boxes, AC disconnects, transfer switches, ect. I was a fabricator who started as a temp and worked my way up to 3rd shift boss. Even as a supervisor I loved to run machines (presses from 5 ton to 600 ton, CNC punch presses and break presses) when I could. At the end of a shift I had a tangible reward; I had made "stuff" out of flat steel. Then big corporate bosses had the great idea to shift production to Mexico to save on labor and 5 years later the plant was shutdown. I still have dreams where I'm back running the equipment.

Last laugh was on them because that company so screwed up their production they no longer make electrical boxes anymore.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Hmm. I have been at the same employer for 16 yrs. I am the warranty manager for top rv dealer. I have gotten numb to the job over the years as everyone, customer and employee wants what they want. However, manufacturers pay my bill and have the say in what they will pay.

People are rarely, if ever appreciative of what me and my assistant do to get things approved. Techs will not do the simple things needed and most service advisors are spineless. Customers are unreasonable and owners only see bottom line.

I wanted to be Indiana Jones as a kid. I shoulda done that. Woulda been a lot cooler if I did. ;)

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I enjoy my job in that it makes me money. Most of us have to work for a living and that's easy to accept. It would be boring to sit at home all day. I also enjoy doing things to make it a better company and make the most of it. Can be stressful at times, but at the end of the day it is a blessing. Nothing like getting to wind down after a hard day's work and enjoy a drink with my pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunnyboy and JOHN72

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
How often are you compelled to do Aftermath Courtroom Stuff?

Or the flipside of that coin, called upon (voluntarily) to be an expert witness?

Everything I do I’m an expert witness

I had two depositions in the last two weeks.

I have four trials scheduled for January. Two criminal defense. One for the prosecution and one Civil.

I’ve worked 213 fires so far this year. I work in NV, UT, AZ and some in Cali.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Everything I do I’m an expert witness

I had two depositions in the last two weeks.

I have four trials scheduled for January. Two criminal defense. One for the prosecution and one Civil.

I’ve worked 213 fires so far this year. I work in NV, UT, AZ and some in Cali.

Dayum. That's 1980's TV show hero stuff, like Magnum PI or Remington Steele.

Does anyone ever comment on the irony of a mega-fire investigator who uses leetle personal-sized fires for enjoyment?

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 10.19.45 PM.png

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Life is hard: “What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time. ~Ecclesiastes 3: 9-11

Life is tough and hard.

This is exactly why I treat everyone with dignity and respect, until they don’t respect my dignity.

I also give people grace and hope they give themselves grace.