PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Old man Gary at Gettysburg Cigar Co, who I bought my first pipe and tobacco from (my bent basket billiard, and a pouch of Sutliff B22, which he calls "Longstreet" in keeping with a civil war theme), gave me a bit of a tutorial.
That, combined with trial and error and consultation of internet resources (such as browsing this very forum, account less), got me to where I am now: competence.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
My first girlfriend's dad. He was a long-time pipe smoker and at her graduation party, he saw me struggling with my first pipe (Smoking was allowed, unbelievable nowadays).

Then he showed me how to pack it properly, always making funny comments like "When you set the tobacco on fire, it raises a bit. That's because it wants to see what moron is puffing there" 😅

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I'd have to credit a handful of guys on this forum, and some B&M employees at places like B&B in Asheville. I taught myself basics early on, but was really over thinking all aspects of the hobby. Guys here and at the shop really simplified things for me and got me on a path that I'll forever be grateful for. I'll hope one day to teach somebody what I've learned over time, especially my son and two daughters.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When I was a kid back in the 80's, my Great Uncle used to smoke a pipe, but I mainly remember him smoking Dutch Master's cigars. When I decided to begin smoking a pipe back in 2011, I jumped on YoutTube, as I knew there was more than just packing tobacco into the bowl and lighting it. I found a guy out of Montana named Kel, and I think his YT channel was called "According to Kel" or something like that. He gave simple straight forward instructions on how to pack, light, and draw on a pipe. That got me off and going, and from there I picked up other tips/tricks from other YT channels, and from members of this forum. Over the years, through trial and error, I've honed my skills, but I'm still learning new tips/tricks and techniques as I interact on here and/or when meeting up with other pipe smokers.

Scriptonic

(scripto)
Jun 12, 2013
Youtube mainly. I started off on cigars, but from there to try and save some money I picked up pipes. An old GF bought me a cob and some Petersons 3ps. From there a hobby turned into an obsession. So much for trying to save money!!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Trial and error for my first year. This forum helped immensely after that, especially when it came to pipe maintenance and rotation. The first year or so I would smoke a pipe till it got rank, toss it, and buy another one. There’s nothing wrong with approaching pipe smoking like that but I’m glad I learned how to maintain a pipe, or I probably wouldn’t have ever felt comfortable purchasing nicer ones.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Myself.
The smokers in my family all smoked cigarettes. There was no internet back then so I had to learn on my own.
I bought my first pipe, a Dr. Graybow bent billiard, and a pouch of Borkum Rift (which I did not like) when I was 15 (today is my 59th birthday).
I quickly discovered the local B&M called Smoker's Haven and their blend called Mountain Mist became my main smoke for years.
I still have that pipe. puffy

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I just gave it a go and then I found this forum. I have received a lot of help here. Still learning.
life is so funny. I feel both jealous of people getting into pipes now, you have so many resources to work with for info getting pipes. I know more pipe brands now that I can often first guess the right brand, where before I might guess country maybe (didn't see that many pipes just what the stores had). I also feel sorry that you kids missed a much more wild experience. Hell you have no idea what it's like to see a pipe shop and wonder how many pipe tobaccos you'll see for the first time. The joy in finding a pipe smoker out in the wild and watching how they do it for hints and realizing how much better it is when you pack or draw like that. Yeah life is funny every advantage always comes at a cost.

Reactions: PaulRVA and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Trial and error for my first year. This forum helped immensely after that, especially when it came to pipe maintenance and rotation. The first year or so I would smoke a pipe till it got rank, toss it, and buy another one. There’s nothing wrong with approaching pipe smoking like that but I’m glad I learned how to maintain a pipe, or I probably wouldn’t have ever felt comfortable purchasing nicer ones.
I used to think having more then one pipe was a fetishiestic thing. I thought my three pipes was almost excessive. And now people who haven't even smoked for a month have more pipes then me. Ha!

Reactions: PaulRVA

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Since I was a kid, smoking had been a guilty indulgence. I began smoking with stolen cigs from parents and neighbors kids parents. I'd quit over the years, many times, for at least a year or more. I started rolling my own when ready mades became so nasty they were just nicotine sticks with no pleasure in them.
One day, having run out of papers, I thought (!) let's go to the drug store and get a corn cob and smoke w/o papers. I smoked my cob as if it were a cigarette for at least a week or more before I got curious and started looking on the 'net' on the subject.
This forum has been one of my best pastimes since I retired, 10 yrs ago, and started smoking again after enduring a lot of stress, as usual.
Pipe smoking has changed my life for the better.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Myself.
The smokers in my family all smoked cigarettes. There was no internet back then so I had to learn on my own.
I bought my first pipe, a Dr. Graybow bent billiard, and a pouch of Borkum Rift (which I did not like) when I was 15 (today is my 59th birthday).
I quickly discovered the local B&M called Smoker's Haven and their blend called Mountain Mist became my main smoke for years.
Happy Birthday!

Reactions: DesertDan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Myself.
wait today is your birthday? Oh man that means you're precisely 14 years and no days older then me. Today is my 45th.
Here is for us and Bob Hope best song for any birthday