PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
When I first started smoking, trying to look back, it was in the early 80s, around 81-83 I believe.

I first started smoking cigarettes, if I have to be stereotypical here, because teen kids in the USA, did this sort of thing, and so did I.

But, somewhere along the way, I saw a tobacco shop, went inside and the smell of the pipe tobacco and all the amazing looking pipes grabbed my attention and it’s pretty much how I started, I was mesmerized by this new world.

I can’t say with honesty and certainty that this was about some psychological place of peace, ritual, happy space, relaxation etc., more simply about smells and tastes.

Even today, with or without a pipe, I’m still extremely chill and pretty much always in a happy relaxed place. So, even looking at it now, I still find, it’s more about enjoying the tastes and smells still, then going to this mental zone.

P.S. Let’s be honest, I think we sometimes just like playing with our toys and looking at them, as much as smoking them. I certainly do, otherwise, rhetorically speaking, why so much TAD and PAD! LOL 😆

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Honestly, I really don't know why I started smoking a pipe. If my mother was still around, she might have blamed it on here step-father who was the only pipe smoker I remember from my pre-adult life. I don't recall thinking that his pipe smoking was ever stinky but I always thought stale cigarette smoke stunk. I also found that I didn't enjoy kissing girls right after they smoked a cigarette.

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
Sigmund Freud smoked a pipe, I believe, and he expressed opinions on smoking in general. Of course he had his theory about oral gratification. I think he also said, at one point, sometimes a good cigar is just a cigar.

Personally, I'd agree with the ritual of down time to be in the moment and focus on ones thoughts, or to have an agreeable and companionable time with another smoker or two.

The simplicity of it is central, although to read our posts you'd think it was astro physics.
Freud smoked cigars ;) but there are plenty of psychotherapist who smoked pipe jung, berne ...
But not freud ;) it s a common mistake and I thought the same before I goggled it :D

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think I just always loved the smell of pipe tobacco. My dad smoked a pipe a bit in the 70’s and cigars for as long as I remember. It’s great to share a cigar with my dad now. BTW, he‘s 86, walks a few miles a day, plays golf, travels etc… and is a doctor. I’m keeping the tradition going, enjoy tobacco in moderation and enjoy life.

Stan, me, and a friend back in the day. Dude, the collars on those shirts!IMG_6476.jpeg

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I've smoked cigars and cigarettes and now pipes.

I find cigarettes nasty. I've smoked RYO and "tailor made". Quick, accessible, and no fuss but just not enjoyable.

Cigars are delicious. However, time consuming and not well smoked when doing activities. Also not tolerant to being put out and resmoked.

Pipes are similar to cigars with the delicious tobacco, but can be clenched when doing stuff and relighting is not an issue if a few hours pass.

Plus, there's a appeal to having a pipe that I like (appearance wise) as a clothing accessory similar to a nice watch or tie, etc.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Something similar to what our friend burleybreath comments. My father smoked pipes and cigars. He smoked at home, in the living room, in the bathroom, in his bedroom. That smell stayed with me somewhere dark and cold in my brain. Also traveling with him in the truck in Europe, I swallowed all the smoke, maybe this is the reason why my brain accepted to initiate me in this world of tobacco. Although, it seems to me a special way of life, authentic, traditional, conservative. To my way of understanding this damned and fucked up life.66ec454a-44d2-4fc3-9ed9-fd6fc7107349.jpg