PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Now that Zippo is offering their own butane insert specifically for pipes, I decided to try one and share my experience with it.

I mostly smoke in the living room or my home office and use a Corona Old Boy or Xikar, but I have a Zippo with the pipe insert for outdoors. Since I don't use it often, the evaporation as well as the fuel taste were a problem.

The butane insert seems well made, at least it's better than the aftermarket inserts I've seen. Filling this with butane was simple and the flint ignition is reliable. The lever that has to be held down to allow gas flow keeps your finger very close to the flame and the wind resistance is only slightly better than my other lighters.

If you have a Zippo case that appeals to you, this might be a worthwhile option. I do wish that it performed as well as the lighter fluid version did outdoors.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Thanks for the review!

I also wish it had the same wind resistance as well as the normal pipe insert but I don't know if any lighter can achieve that due to how they differ on their fuel delivery method.

I think having to hold down the button/lever to allow the gas to flow is kind of useless and causes more problems like you’ve indicated. I’m guessing they did that to address (1) a potential safety concern they saw or (2) a way to not have the nozzle gunk up from butane flowing out while not being ignited.

I’ll probably still try it as I haven't had great luck with my Thunderbird insert and others have mentioned they haven't had great luck with their zPipe insert.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Wolf357

Lurker
Jun 23, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I got one…enjoyed it greatly for like 3-4 weeks and it completely died…used all the hacks on the web to get it going again…bleeding it… taking off the restrictor and turning up the flame….nada take a pass in my opinion

• Sad
Reactions: AroEnglish

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Thanks, I been debating buying one. Question, does the flame only go down or does it hover upward over the zippo and you draw the flame into the pipe like the wick zippo pipe lighter?

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Thanks, I been debating buying one. Question, does the flame only go down or does it hover upward over the zippo and you draw the flame into the pipe like the wick zippo pipe lighter?
06C9A5E7-4D5A-4B04-87DF-999ED72F4309.jpeg
This is what it does. I’d recommend it. It does actually really well at not torching the rim. It also does well in the wind if you don’t mind torching your tobacco a little.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
View attachment 235494
This is what it does. I’d recommend it. It does actually really well at not torching the rim. It also does well in the wind if you don’t mind torching your tobacco a little.
Thanks, for posting that. I wish it shot up when helt down. But, that's what I thought it would do. I collect lighters though, so I'll probably grab it anyways. Thanks again!

Reactions: Akoni808

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I just got a Z Plus Pipe insert for my Zippo, not made by Zippo but works great, it is still flint fired but has a button instead of the wheel, it is my go to lighter now and works great in the wind.

Last edited:

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
Just ordered the insert from zippo. I've tried twice to order the z insert and both times they were snagged at the Canadian border. This one was available on the Canadian version of Amazon do it will at least get here. Looking forward to receiving it and finally using my zippo

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
So many wonderful zippos... but I can taste/smell the fluid every time I light with one. In addition, the fuel storage does not seem to last as long as a traditional pipe lighter.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
One thing I didn't mention about the Z insert was it was a very tight fit and I had to use a sharp knife and scrape some of the prominent bits on the sides, it might be that my Zippo is a bit battered as it's over 40 years old. The Z insert is made by the Lotus Group in Florida but actually made like all things in China, I had no problems getting one in the UK, very available here. It really is a good bit of kit.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I like the zippo version a lot more than the ZPipe. I like the flame control on the ZPipe, but it doesn’t start reliably. Gotta keep clicking.

Reactions: AroEnglish

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have the Z-Pipe is insert pictured above. The flame is adjustable via a feature on the bottom. Also it’s piezo spark, not flint. Mine is still working great 5+ years in.