PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Does SP not provide additional pictures on request or does that depend on the CS agent? Is it common for deluxe models to have pits (not sure what the correct terminology is)? Thanks!
I've requested extra pictures from SPC many times with no luck. SP EU will accommodate your request, however. Deluxe models are not advertised as pit-free. I think only supremes can't have any flaws

Reactions: AroEnglish

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Oh baby, where did you find this pipe?! Lovely find. I think the Rua with this shape is kind of like a classic meets modern, in a good way.
Lucky find for sure! Came across a fella that was thinning his herd and had some stuff listed on instagram. It’s funny, as I really don’t check instagram too often, so it must’ve meant to be lol!
I agree, a neat combination

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Going purely on typographic components, definitely not 1987 as there is no diagonal/italic.

1975 seems like a reasonable guess, but I wonder if 1969 is a better one—my suspicion is the upper portion of the “b” got mashed down and distorted, making it look like the short “h” and the bottom of the letter looks closed, more like the “b” and not the open “h.”
I do think 1969 is the second best guess. Why I’m not convinced by it is that the other two hallmarks aren’t mashed so it seems less likely to me that the one hallmark alone was mashed, though clearly something happened to it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I've requested extra pictures from SPC many times with no luck. SP EU will accommodate your request, however. Deluxe models are not advertised as pit-free. I think only supremes can't have any flaws
I knew SPC wouldn’t so I never bothered to ask SPE. Thanks for th info!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I emailed the pix to Mark Irwin. He sharpened the photo and believes it to be the "B" for 1987. Looking under a loupe, it still feels like the lowercase h from 1975.

View attachment 274815
View attachment 274818
There does not appear to be room for the top half of a capital B; rubbed off or not. I'd say small h or small lowercase b from the sharpened picture. Also there appears to be a serif at the beginning.
1703897147637.png 1703897169292.png

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Another Pre-Republic Shamrock for my collection. A very lithe 936 bent Dutch billiard, a big thanks to @bayareabriar!

View attachment 275373View attachment 275374View attachment 275375
Found the original owners initials stamped into the heel when I was cleaning it up. 😊 L.T.

View attachment 275376

That’s awesome! This one came from an estate in Hollywood; often times they were from actors of the older era. I’ll do some digging to see if I can identify LT. the pipe looks great!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
That’s awesome! This one came from an estate in Hollywood; often times they were from actors of the older era. I’ll do some digging to see if I can identify LT. the pipe looks great!
Well since it’s a derivative of the 4 shape, it would have been cool if it had B.R. on it. That would have been a slam dunk. 😆
IMG_8804.png

Last edited: