PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Another of his that ended today was also interesting. I thought it went kind of low for a 1935 Dunhill LB with good ring grain.

1935 Duhill LB

s-l1600.png
@runscott . Yup, I thought this Dunhill's LB went quite low too. Unlike the 120 that went for upwards of 2k the previous week..

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I suspect it didn’t bring huge $ because the obvious tenon repair scared off any prospective big spenders.

I find the sellers willingness to insinuate that it might be original to be willfull ignorance at best. That’s clearly a Vernon tenon that’s been replaced with a threaded aluminum tenon, the mortise has had a briar plug glued in and then tapped.
Ah! very good point here.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Shill bidders. Ebay not only tolerates them, but they encourage it. You used to be able to see the bidders handle and trace them back to the seller running the auction. Ebay has hidden that information for years, as shill bidding means more profit for ebay. Some of this forum's favorite sellers are the worst culprits.
Yeah, I miss being able to see who was bidding on what. You were able to more easily find out if you were looking at (a) only a couple 'a nights on the couch, (b) a weeks' worth of silent treatment and staying at your in-law's, or (c) fluffing up your pillows at a buddy's place for an extended period of time!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was at a meeting today and forgot about this auction. I would have probably gone $555.
Looks like a 499 and a 498.

1712013765786.png

This one puzzles me. Unsmoked - sure. But Two-Dot's? (I suppose they are more rare than Four Dots).
Still, $1305 for three pipes was an eye-opener.

1712013888866.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I had just logged on when this came up, so I grabbed it:

Comoy's Blue Riband

There were no clear photos of the 'Blue Riband' stamping, and I thought the box normally said 'Blue Riband' somewhere on it, so I suppose this might not turn out as great as I had hoped :ROFLMAO:, but it IS a 309X, and it has the 3-piece 'C'.

s-l1600.jpg

This turned out to be a 'Golden Grain'. I couldn't find any information on them, but it's a nice pipe. I knew that $135 was a good price for a 'Blue Riband', but no idea for a 'Golden Grain', not knowing Comoy's pipes all that well.

I don't think the seller was trying to bamboozle me - the brochure showed four pipes, with the 'Blue Riband' example first, and no 'Golden Grain' example, so I guess they thought this must be a 'Blue Riband'. Any info on this line would be appreciated.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
From a 1971 pamphlet with a price list (found on ASP), we have the hierarchy of the grades:|

1) Speciman $50
2) Riband $40
3) London Pride $35
4 )Deluxe Walnut Silver mtd. $27.50
5) Deluxe Sandblast """" $25
6) Tradition $25
7) Golden Grain $$25
8) Grand Slam $25
9) Pebble Grain $20
10) Sandblast $17.50
11) Marble Arch $17.50
12) Old Bruyere $15.00
13) Academy Award Virgin $13.50
14)" " Walnut $12.50

The Guildhall $10 with 16 others in the $10-$5 range.

Tony Soderman (aka Mr. Can) had this to say about the Golden Grain Comoy pipes on his eBay page back in the day:

“Exactly when the “GOLDEN GRAIN” was first introduced is not clear, but it became one of COMOY’s most popular lines. By 1977 it was the Company’s third highest grade beneath the “Designer” and “London Pride” and ranked ahead of other favorites including the “Royal Comoy,” “Guildhall,” “Everyman” and so on! The GOLDEN GRAIN was offered as a “new look” with what COMOY called an “antique patina” and later called a “golden hue.” It was advertised as “finished in golden hues to highlight the gorgeous grains in the ‘Classical’ Comoy’s of London tradition.” As you can see, there is some truth to their claim that the GOLDEN GRAIN’s “warm seductive beauty will win your heart.” The GOLDEN GRAIN was dropped from the COMOY line in 1980”

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
From a 1971 pamphlet with a price list (found on ASP), we have the hierarchy of the grades:|

1) Speciman $50
2) Riband $40
3) London Pride $35
6) Tradition $25
7) Golden Grain $$25
8) Grand Slam $25
9) Pebble Grain $20
10) Sandblast $17.50
11) Marble Arch $17.50
12) Old Bruyere $15.00
14)" " Walnut $12.50

Tony Soderman (aka Mr. Can) had this to say about the Golden Grain Comoy pipes on his eBay page back in the day:

“Exactly when the “GOLDEN GRAIN” was first introduced is not clear, but it became one of COMOY’s most popular lines. By 1977 it was the Company’s third highest grade beneath the “Designer” and “London Pride” and ranked ahead of other favorites including the “Royal Comoy,” “Guildhall,” “Everyman” and so on! The GOLDEN GRAIN was offered as a “new look” with what COMOY called an “antique patina” and later called a “golden hue.” It was advertised as “finished in golden hues to highlight the gorgeous grains in the ‘Classical’ Comoy’s of London tradition.” As you can see, there is some truth to their claim that the GOLDEN GRAIN’s “warm seductive beauty will win your heart.” The GOLDEN GRAIN was dropped from the COMOY line in 1980”

Much, much appreciated. Sounds like I should just shut up and enjoy my pipe :)

Reactions: grimpeur

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

1) Speciman $50
2) Riband $40
3) London Pride $35
6) Tradition $25
7) Golden Grain $$25
8) Grand Slam $25
9) Pebble Grain $20
10) Sandblast $17.50
11) Marble Arch $17.50
12) Old Bruyere $15.00
14)" " Walnut $12.50

Great info. The only thing I can add is the first mention of the Golden Grain I’ve seen is 1960.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Great info. The only thing I can add is the first mention of the Golden Grain I’ve seen is 1960.
And that's if it is in fact a Comoy. A Golden Grain was made by several manufacturers in England, at least one of which was not included in 'Who Made That Pipe'.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
And that's if it is in fact a Comoy. A Golden Grain was made by several manufacturers in England, at least one of which was not included in 'Who Made That Pipe'.

True, but given the C on the stem I’m willing to accept it as a Comoy.

Reactions: greeneyes

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
And then I see it's relisted... Thought it was sold? I'm missing something here.

This is a strange one. The winning bidder had decent feedback, but still could have been a friend bidding to get more out of the underbidder.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The fact that it is a Comoys was not in question, just the grade. The stamps and stem clearly show it is a Comoys.

The 'C' is kind of weird.
The finish is a similar effect to what I get when I put a black stain on bare briar, sand it mostly off, then add a color stain (trying to duplicate old Dunhill stains). I have one last smooth virgin Savinelli I might try this on, but with very dark brown, then a lighter brown. Well...there goes my morning.

edited to add picture of old Comoy's 'C' for comparison.

wcwVDcJ.jpeg

WxuVpF8.png

woU5Unq.jpeg

PMeTo8N.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The 'C' is kind of weird.
The finish is a similar effect to what I get when I put a black stain on bare briar, sand it mostly off, then add a color stain (trying to duplicate old Dunhill stains). I have one last smooth virgin Savinelli I might try this on, but with very dark brown, then a lighter brown. Well...there goes my morning.

wcwVDcJ.jpeg

woU5Unq.jpeg

PMeTo8N.jpeg

The circles kind of look like they've been inscribed and the white looks hand painted/filled in; the small, outer black circle doesn't look perfectly round and the black circle for the “C” looks like it has a crescent of wood exposed. Weird, indeed.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The circles kind of look like they've been inscribed and the white looks hand painted/filled in; the small, outer black circle doesn't look perfectly round and the black circle for the “C” looks like it has a crescent of wood exposed. Weird, indeed.
All of your observations are spot-on with what I see under magnification - the black dot is definitely out-of-round and that exposed bit looks like filler, but why use white filler? The 'C' is also crooked. Maybe these were ongoing issues, and why they abandoned the 3-part 'C'?