48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
All of your observations are spot-on with what I see under magnification - the black dot is definitely out-of-round and that exposed bit looks like filler, but why use white filler? The 'C' is also crooked. Maybe these were ongoing issues, and why they abandoned the 3-part 'C'?

Any chance this is a replacement stem and someone tried to replicate/emulate a three part C, or put a home made C in an original stem where the C came out?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is a strange one. The winning bidder had decent feedback, but still could have been a friend bidding to get more out of the underbidder.
And then I see it's relisted... Thought it was sold? I'm missing something here.

Happens all the time, for a variety of reasons, and it almost always results in a serious drop in price on the 2nd go round if relisted shortly after the initial auction.
When I used to sell on eBay I made it a rule that nobody with a success count of less than ten would be recognized and so stated it on my listings. Too much bullshit with that crowd.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
When I used to sell on eBay I made it a rule that nobody with a success count of less than ten would be recognized and so stated it on my listings. Too much bullshit with that crowd.
Probably the wisest tactic. I messaged anyone with feedback under 10 and if they didn't give a good response, I canceled their bids. But back when I ran straight auctions the other bidders could see everyone's handle, so there was little danger of good bidders thinking I was shilling my own auctions. Nowadays, if you are an honest seller and know market values, you'll get more using BIN's. I know that's debatable, but when I run straight auctions the results are just flat-out painful.

Reactions: Honkytonk Man

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All of your observations are spot-on with what I see under magnification - the black dot is definitely out-of-round and that exposed bit looks like filler, but why use white filler? The 'C' is also crooked. Maybe these were ongoing issues, and why they abandoned the 3-part 'C'?
I've seen some of the pieces fall out, perhaps someone attempted a kind of repair. That is wonky! Comoy's stamping looks solid.

Here's two Golden Grains I've owned a 409 bulldog.

Comoys_184_Golden_Grain_FIN_09.jpgComoys_184_Golden_Grain_FIN_10.jpgComoy_409_Golden_Grain_Finish_08.jpgComoy_409_Golden_Grain_Finish_09.jpg

Reactions: jguss

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I've seen some of the pieces fall out, perhaps someone attempted a kind of repair. That is wonky! Comoy's stamping looks solid.

Yeah, the stamping is great.

Here are the four examples I found on ebay of Golden Grain 'C's. All look bad. The one on the right is by far the best, but the aberrations in the 'C' were the same in two different pics the seller provided. This consistency in bad 'C's makes me think it was a Comoy's production problem - even if every one of these 'C's were repaired, it still indicates that a problem existed that required repairing.

yl3J36L.png

Reactions: Toast and jguss