PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The grain on this lower graded Charatan looks to be astonishing :
Charatan grading has always seemed a little odd, so it can't just be a matter of grain or there would be less anomalies. Maybe they were all stoned.

• Haha
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Charatan grading has always seemed a little odd, so it can't just be a matter of grain or there would be less anomalies. Maybe they were all stoned.
Def. stoned as bats. I've seen Belvedere graded pipes with stellar grain and the grain on this one looks better than I've seen on quite some Supremes.
It only shows that with Ch. it was all about the grain , not so much about the stems.
Anyway; it is mine and I always felt safe with Rodrigo's pipes.
The Banker being one of my favourite shapes too.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Lovely pipe
1922 Dunhill 48

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Lovely pipe Scott; I think I know who the seller is.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yes, he is a perfect gentleman .
He's a freaking genius too. He was discussing a new stem restoration idea he had and I didn't understand some of the words he was using. But he was patient and I ended up ordering the product he recommended (not something he sold) and hope to describe my tests at some point ... in the repair and restoration area, of course :ROFLMAO:.

It's interesting that he and I both use his products, but my restorations have a different look to the finish. He prefers subdued, Todd prefers shiny, and mine are somewhere in the middle. I will end up researching this pipe and probably trying to match up the finish with another 1922 example. I don't think they were ever this red-devoid, other than root bruyeres, but I could be wrong.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love my Comoy's, but never felt the need to chase a Blue Riband. This one has some wear on the stem where it meets the shank.

1712528227817.png

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I love my Comoy's, but never felt the need to chase a Blue Riband. This one has some wear on the stem where it meets the shank.

View attachment 301611

I was looking at that one, but it had too much missing material at that juncture.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea

View attachment 301611
I too enjoy my Comoy's, that I bought from you, Al.
Around the same time, I managed to pick up a Blue Riband, in the same shape, Woodstock.
I find that the one you sold me is a better smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_5845.jpg
    IMG_5845.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 3

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

View attachment 301611

Haha. I looked at your post very quickly and thought I read: "I felt the need to chase a Blue Riband." I scratched my head at your choice, then just re-read it.

Well, if you ever felt the need to chase an unsmoked Sasieni 'Four Dot', this would not have been the one to chase (in my opinion). My apologies if the seller is a member here, but "unsmoked"?!?! and that crack that goes all the way through the shank is "cosmetic"?!? I guess the '10 feedback' winner wasn't concerned with such trivialities:

Unsmoked Sasieni Four Dot "Retford" w/cosmetic flaw | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335327273548

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Haha. I looked at your post very quickly and thought I read: "I felt the need to chase a Blue Riband." I scratched my head at your choice, then just re-read it.

Well, if you ever felt the need to chase an unsmoked Sasieni 'Four Dot', this would not have been the one to chase (in my opinion). My apologies if the seller is a member here, but "unsmoked"?!?! and that crack that goes all the way through the shank is "cosmetic"?!? I guess the '10 feedback' winner wasn't concerned with such trivialities:

Unsmoked Sasieni Four Dot "Retford" w/cosmetic flaw | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/335327273548
Yikes, I would guess that kind of issue didn't come without smoking it.

1712535254718.jpeg

I don't believe I've ever seen the Retford with the tube before (or even a Sasieni with a Dunhill style tube).

1712535472493.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yikes, I would guess that kind of issue didn't come without smoking it.

View attachment 301640

I don't believe I've ever seen the Retford with the tube before (or even a Sasieni with a Dunhill style tube).

It was the residue on the end of the shank in the above photo that gave away that it was clearly smoked. No telling what the chamber looks like - the pictures don't tell much.

Dec 10, 2013

View attachment 301611
Looks more like damage ( chipped off ) than wear to me; not mentioned in the listing .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Impressive amount of coin, but I'm not impressed by the pipe :
Yeah, when I first saw this one I thought it one of the ugliest blasts I’d ever seen.
I can’t decide if it was always a dog or if it’s the victim of psychotic buffing abuse.
Shaping is OK, but that’s about all.
Still, somebody loved it enough to drop some serious coin.