Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Reactions: captainsousie

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
It’s always possible it was a collector that was searching for missing parts for incomplete pipes in his collection. Who knows? Maybe the person needs a Sasieni stinger. Or likes Frankenstein pipes. Or has no idea what he was buying.
I saw that auction and checked my 8-dot - it doesn't say 'eight dot' on the stummel. So the winner could have been planning on creating a Frankenpipe with an actual Sasieni stummel.

...unless I'm missing something, which I often am.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
1922 Dunhill 48

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I forgot about this shape 56, 1960? Looks like a pretty good buy.

Pretty pipe from 1960 . I watched this one, but I own plenty good period Dunnies already.
The smooth rim worried me.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The words "plenty" and "enough" of course aren't synonyms, but I agree the rim would have given me pause too. Plus except in unusual cases my cutoff date is 1959.
That's about the last year for their using Algerian briar, right? You see those sanded off tops every now and then. I guess the cake gets in the rim blast too much, so they take it off with sandpaper. I've found that soaking the rim in Murphy's oil soap or Mark Hoover's new briar cleaner, takes that stuff off pretty well, sometimes in conjunction with a brass gun brush.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Everyone should get the opportunity to experience an unsmoked oil-cured Taylor Ashton:

1712417532473.jpeg

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Everyone should get the opportunity to experience an unsmoked oil-cured Taylor Ashton:

View attachment 301231
Seems a bit high no? Excuse my lack of knowledge on Ashton pipes and there seems to be some variance in quality between the different Ashtons such as Jimmy or Taylor etcetera.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Seems a bit high no? Excuse my lack of knowledge on Ashton pipes and there seems to be some variance in quality between the different Ashtons such as Jimmy or Taylor etcetera.
Perhaps, but this one checks a lot of unusual boxes for an Ashton, condition and rarity:

- Early Ashton (1988)
- Sovereign
- Straight Grain Stamp
- Unsmoked

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
That's about the last year for their using Algerian briar, right? You see those sanded off tops every now and then. I guess the cake gets in the rim blast too much, so they take it off with sandpaper. I've found that soaking the rim in Murphy's oil soap or Mark Hoover's new briar cleaner, takes that stuff off pretty well, sometimes in conjunction with a brass gun brush.

While it’s true the sandblasts on Dunhill Shells got progressively worse as the 1950s waned actually tracking the depletion of Algerian briar inventory in the aftermath of the War of Independence with any precision is a tricky thing. My cutoff was chosen for a simpler and entirely personal reason: ‘59 is my birth year.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
While it’s true the sandblasts on Dunhill Shells got progressively worse as the 1950s waned actually tracking the depletion of Algerian briar inventory in the aftermath of the War of Independence with any precision is a tricky thing. My cutoff was chosen for a simpler and entirely personal reason: ‘59 is my birth year.
I've owned a lot of 1958's and 1960's, but never a 1959. Is that a difficult year to find?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I've owned a lot of 1958's and 1960's, but never a 1959. Is that a difficult year to find?

I’m not sure, I can only say I didn’t have a problem finding a few. With most birth years if you’re not in a hurry you can generally get one.

Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I’m not sure, I can only say I didn’t have a problem finding a few. With most birth years if you’re not in a hurry you can generally get one.
Sure, but some are easier than others. Mine happens to be one of the more common years, but the years around it...not so much. I've found more of my Dad's birthyear (1935) than some of the ones in the 1950's.