PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
Hi,

I can't take nicotine anymore -- it gives me anxiety. I haven't smoked the pipe or cigars for months because of it. But I miss the pipe so much, I am willing to try a last effort at finding a blend that doesn't give me a panic attack.

What is the absolute mildest blend in terms of nicotine (strength of flavor doesn't matter, indeed I like flavor) that at least contains either latakia or orientals, or both.

Thanks

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I want to follow this thread because I have to be careful myself. I don’t get anxiety but have high bp lately.

I don’t remember for sure but want to say straight Va is the lightest nicotine. Maybe put another way the sweetest tobacco has the lowest nicotine.

I believe dark fired and perique are the heaviest hitters of vitamin n. Maybe burly is in the middle?

I’m wrong a lot so maybe we both learn something here.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
From the inter web.

Oriental tobacco, including Latakia, typically contains the least nicotine. "It's not uncommon to see nicotine levels below one percent, which is really low." Nicotine is measured as a percentage of weight.

Also if you use the search feature here there are several long old threads along the lines of looking for low nicotine.

Good luck!

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I have been smoking pipes for over 50 years, if it doesn't agree with you just pack it up.
I love the taste, smell and experience but can't stand the nicotine. Are you saying there's no compromise? That I won't be able to find a blend that will not give me anxiety?

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I love the taste, smell and experience but can't stand the nicotine. Are you saying there's no compromise? That I won't be able to find a blend that will not give me anxiety?
Ignore the self-proclaimed gatekeepers, and do what you find suits you best, even if others think it's "wrong" or whatever. If you like low nic blends, there's nothing wrong with that. Tobacco Reviews has a "strength" metric that allows users to rate the nicotine strength of a blend, and that can be a helpful guideline when choosing blends. The tobacco finder on Smokingpipes can be used to filter blends by components and other attributes.
Cavendish processed tobaccos lose much of their nicotine through the process. As stated above, orientals and latakia are often low in nic as well, as are some (but not all) virginias. This is a generalization, of course. I would avoid non-Cavendish processed burley, dark fired, perique, cigar leaf, and rustica, as these tend to be higher on the nic scale.