PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nim13

Lurker
Mar 8, 2024
In addition to the above blend suggestions, try using 9mm charcoal or balsa wood filters. The manufacturers claim that these remove a good chunk of the nicotine, and with the balsa wood filters in particular I personally find no loss of taste.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Like Nim13 said...try 9mm charcol filter pipes. They supposedly remove some nicotine. I use them and I can say I never feel heady with nic heavy blends. I dont know if its the filter or just me but it may be worth your while. Perhaps it will open up the field to more blends you can smoke. Some dont, but I prefer the flavor using 9mm filters. I find the flavors more clear with a filter. You also get less tars.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
From the inter web.

Oriental tobacco, including Latakia, typically contains the least nicotine. "It's not uncommon to see nicotine levels below one percent, which is really low." Nicotine is measured as a percentage of weight.

Also if you use the search feature here there are several long old threads along the lines of looking for low nicotine.

Good luck!
This link to the article by Eddie Gray of the Pipe Nook seems very helpful. I am not a huge fan of nicotine, either. My favorite blends seem to be more in the straight Virginia's or VaPer's. According to this list, the Perique in a VaPer may take it off of your list.
Personally, I would choose blends like: Peterson Flake, Capstan Blue, Mac Baren HH pure virginia, etc.

Reactions: dcon

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Hi,

I can't take nicotine anymore -- it gives me anxiety. I haven't smoked the pipe or cigars for months because of it. But I miss the pipe so much, I am willing to try a last effort at finding a blend that doesn't give me a panic attack.

What is the absolute mildest blend in terms of nicotine (strength of flavor doesn't matter, indeed I like flavor) that at least contains either latakia or orientals, or both.

Thanks

How might you feel about the herbal mixtures that are available in some places? I am not meaning marijuana, but I have seen in some places some sort of herbal “tobacco substitute” that would likely have no nicotine. I have never tried any of those things, so I have no knowledge of them. But, I believe that is often what the movie industry now often uses in films that feature smoking but regulations do not permit indoor tobacco use.

• Wow
Reactions: ahouston

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Just for the sake of argument. Can we say for sure that the issue is nicotine? Im inclined to go along BUT are you remembering to breathe?

Its easy to smoke a little too quickly and during the smoke session practice shallow breathing. Shallow breathing increases pulse and bp. If you are prone to anxiety this may contribute…just a thought.

InWithBothFeet

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
Velvet. Add Lat and Oriental as needed.
That has occurred to me also.. start with an inexpensive low-nic virginia like the MV-1000 and add some lat or oriental components from C&D to play around. I have a fine digital scale that I use for reloading, so I could mix up 2 bowls worth just to experiment with it... or I could start with that Pirate Kake I ordered if it's too much (75% Lat) and add the MV-1000 to it until it tones down to my satisfaction. I tend to like to piddle around with stuff like that even if I don't know what I'm doing.

• Love
Reactions: ahouston

InWithBothFeet

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I just smoked a half bowl of the MV-1000 that the postman brough me today. Very mild. It's cheap too, try an ounce when you put your next order together. I got the HGL in on the same order. Judging by the bag note, it's pretty light on the latakia compared to the campfire that rose out of the Amphora English Blend pouch that I have back home.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Skiff Mixture from Gawith’s is the weakest in the nicotine department, that I’ve tried. Having said that though, if a pipe is causing you panic attacks, then a pipe is not for you. Try snuff instead. Seville by Fribourg & Treyer is a mild & excellent snuff to start off with.

Reactions: gubbyduffer
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Having said that though, if a pipe is causing you panic attacks, then a pipe is not for you. Try snuff instead. Seville by Fribourg & Treyer is a mild & excellent snuff to start off with.
Counterpoint: I've had a few heart-racing "oh shit, that was too much!" moments after a toot as well. Someone with a little less composure than me could easily have had a panic attack.

I think the key for any of these delivery methods is to plan on having less at a time, and taking it way more slowly. Maybe plan on taking a break every 15 minutes during a bowl or something like that. Sort of like how if you eat too fast, you don't get the "full" signal until you're stuffed.

Reactions: simong

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
You might consider smoking less frequently. Nic stays in the body about 72 hours. Smoke every three days and perhaps smoke only a half bowl. Stop before you feel the effects.
What Proteus said, or a smaller bowled pipe with filters as others have suggested. Also smoking slowly and not on an empty stomach. Sugary beverages are said to help with nic overload too.
It's also fine to smoke a partial bowl and come back to it later. I frequently smoke the first half of a bowl and finish it the next day, tastes fine.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I came to pipe smoking as a non smoker who initially tried my hand at a cigar once a week. I gave that up as I couldn't take the nicotine hit. As a pipe smoker I enjoy latakia/oriental English blends or cavendish heavy aromatics. These have never given me a nicotine hit. They are big on flavour to my pallete but low on strength which is perfect for me. Someone mentioned Sam Gawith Skiff Mix which I think has a great creamy smoky flavour but low on nicotine strength. Based in the UK, so recommendations probably won't be of much use if you are US based.
I have always smoked with a filter and of a collection of about 10 pipes, 8 would be considered at the small bowl size end of the spectrum. I rarely smoke the larger bowled pipes. I am happy with that. Don't knkw if any kf that helps.