PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
I came to pipe smoking as a non smoker who initially tried my hand at a cigar once a week. I gave that up as I couldn't take the nicotine hit. As a pipe smoker I enjoy latakia/oriental English blends or cavendish heavy aromatics. These have never given me a nicotine hit. They are big on flavour to my pallete but low on strength which is perfect for me. Someone mentioned Sam Gawith Skiff Mix which I think has a great creamy smoky flavour but low on nicotine strength. Based in the UK, so recommendations probably won't be of much use if you are US based.
I have always smoked with a filter and of a collection of about 10 pipes, 8 would be considered at the small bowl size end of the spectrum. I rarely smoke the larger bowled pipes. I am happy with that. Don't knkw if any kf that helps.
Thank you! I'm in Canada but I do get Sam Gawith here. Any other specific recommendations that you find doesn't ever give you a nic hit apart from Skiff?

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Thank you! I'm in Canada but I do get Sam Gawith here. Any other specific recommendations that you find doesn't ever give you a nic hit apart from Skiff?
Sorry, I didnt check your profile to see where you were from. Hello Canada from Scotland. I normally buy Sam Gawith or Gawith Hoggarth as they can be easily purchased loose here in the UK. I only smoke 1 bowl a week and am reluctant to buy whole tins, as I want some variety. I initially liked aromatics, then went away from them as I expected them to taste like the aroma. As I developed my interest and found not to expect that, then I came back to them. I really enjoy SG Grousemoor, which is one of those Lakeland floral blends with the fabled 'grannys soap tin notes'. I love it. Smokes smooth with no nic hit but has a lovely nose when exhaled and then inhaled again. I have had samples sent to me of a few blends perhaps more available in North America through a pipe maker based here in Scotland. I really Enjoyed Lane 1Q and Boswells Northwoods. I actively stay away from blends that have Kentucky leaf. As someone that still thinks of myself as a non smoker perhaps the blends I like, others might think boring. I don't care. I like how the ritual relaxes me. I did buy one tin which I just opened, which feels like an easy smoker and that Petersons Balkan Mixture. You might like that. Again, to iterate I generally smoke these in small bowled pipes with a filter.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ahouston

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I am always going to suggest my beloved Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme as a milder Lat/Oriental featured blend. Actually, any of Stokkebye's English may fit your need. There are many others out there, too many to account for but I will also mention Boswell'. They also make a couples of lighter English that are genuinely tasty and low in the nic kick, Countryside and Railroad Station.

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I have the same issue with caffeine -- it makes me hyper, especially in the morning. I can drink decaf though, and a cup of tea if I am feeling sleepy but need to stay awake a bit longer.
Nicotine relaxes me unless I smoke many pipes and/or cigars in quick succession -- then I get jumpy,
I agree with others here who recommend you try a 9mm charcoal filter pipe. (balsa filters remove only moisture, so I have heard.)
Also try smoking in the evening vs morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahouston

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I have the same issue with caffeine -- it makes me hyper, especially in the morning. I can drink decaf though, and a cup of tea if I am feeling sleepy but need to stay awake a bit longer.
Nicotine relaxes me unless I smoke many pipes and/or cigars in quick succession -- then I get jumpy,
I agree with others here who recommend you try a 9mm charcoal filter pipe. (balsa filters remove only moisture, so I have heard.)
Also try smoking in the evening vs morning.
Pipe smoking relaxes me because the way I smoke is a form of mindful meditation.
Place yourself in a peaceful spot with no distractions (for me, no computer, book, music, or tv). Sit comfortably and concentrate on your breathing -- slow and deep, from the belly. Focus on all the sensations of smoking--gentle puffs, tobacco smoke, aroma, taste, warmth of the pipe in your hand, the beauty of the pipe, etc.
Also, have everything you need within easy reach--tamper, lighter, pipe cleaners, beverage (I prefer cold water).
I prefer to smoke in the evening by the light of candles, lantern, or fireplace.
Or outside in lovely weather, or at least near an open window with a fresh, gentle breeze. Ceiling fans are great indoors.
The routine of preparing a pipe can be comforting, same as the cleaning routine after a smoke.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Tobacco Reviews has a "strength" metric that allows users to rate the nicotine strength of a blend, and that can be a helpful guideline when choosing blends.
I find the self-reported, subjective nicotine analysis on TobaccoReviews to be unreliable, just as I do many of the reviews.

I'd recommend doing some trial and error blending your own mix. Start with some good Latakia and a couple of the Oriental/Turkish blenders. Be sure that they are straight whatever, not blends with Va. and Burley in them. Get a little bright Virginia, too. If you can find any of Mark Ryan's Acadian Bright Perique, that's low nic and exceedingly tasty. I smoke straight vintage Latakia some times, and really enjoy it, so that could be your starting point. Weigh stuff and keep records.

Last edited:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
I find the self-reported, subjective nicotine analysis on TobaccoReviews to be unreliable, just as I do many of the reviews.

I'd recommend doing some trial and error blending your own mix. Start with some good Latakia and a couple of the Oriental/Turkish blenders. Be sure that they are straight whatever, not blends with Va. and Burley in them. Get a little bright Virginia, too. If you can find any of Mark Ryan's Acadian Bright Perique, that's low nic and exceedingly tasty. I smoke straight vintage Latakia some times, and really enjoy it, so that could be your starting point. Weigh stuff and keep records.
Unreliable to some extent, yes, as the ratings are based on subjective experience, but if a blend has a significant number of ratings, then I find that using the majority of ratings as a guideline can get you in the ballpark at least.
Side note, but it seems that a lot of users confuse "Flavoring" with "Taste" and will often rate robust tasting non-aromatics high on the "Flavoring" scale.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Unreliable to some extent, yes, as the ratings are based on subjective experience, but if a blend has a significant number of ratings, then I find that using the majority of ratings as a guideline can get you in the ballpark at least.
Side note, but it seems that a lot of users confuse "Flavoring" with "Taste" and will often rate robust tasting non-aromatics high on the "Flavoring" scale.
I agree, but I think that the OP isn't interested in taking chances on a nicotine rush based on subjective reviews. I'd start with known low nic tobaccos and start blending.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hi,

I can't take nicotine anymore -- it gives me anxiety. I haven't smoked the pipe or cigars for months because of it.
Last night I smoked three bowls in a row of Sutliff TS19 Turkish. I rarely smoke two bowls in a row, and lately one bowl has been giving me the occasional nic fit. The TS19 was such an enjoyable smoke, rich and flavorful, but no nic OD. All by itself, this is a wonderful smoke.

Add a bit of Latakia and you’ll have a second blend. A bit of bright Virginia (or Acadian Bright, if you can find it) and you’ll have the fixin’s for several different blends, all low nicotine.

IMG_7164.jpeg

ahouston

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2020
Montreal
In addition to the above blend suggestions, try using 9mm charcoal or balsa wood filters. The manufacturers claim that these remove a good chunk of the nicotine, and with the balsa wood filters in particular I personally find no loss of taste.

I understand that charcoal filters are better at filtering nicotine than balsa correct?
I wanted to get a small pipe, like a Savinelli Minuto but that has a 6mm instead. Any disadvantages of going with a 6mm compared to 9mm?

Thanks

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I understand that charcoal filters are better at filtering nicotine than balsa correct?
I wanted to get a small pipe, like a Savinelli Minuto but that has a 6mm instead. Any disadvantages of going with a 6mm compared to 9mm?

Thanks
9mm is, of course, better than 6mm in filtering, especially for a big bowl. And yes, charcoal is best by far.
Availability of 9mm pipes in US: Vauen and Barling are easy to find from the Retailer Directory on this site.
Estate pipes are another option.
Availability of 9mm pipes from Europe: I have found many other brands from the European retailers listed in this site's Retailer Directory. For instance, Savinelli -- easier to find 9mm in Europe while mostly 6mm in US.

Mar 24, 2024
New Mexico
9mm is, of course, better than 6mm in filtering, especially for a big bowl. And yes, charcoal is best by far.
Availability of 9mm pipes in US: Vauen and Barling are easy to find from the Retailer Directory on this site.
Estate pipes are another option.
Availability of 9mm pipes from Europe: I have found many other brands from the European retailers listed in this site's Retailer Directory. For instance, Savinelli -- easier to find 9mm in Europe while mostly 6mm in US.
Smoking pipes.com is having a sale on Vauen pipes. They have 9mm models starting around $50. Go to the pipe locator on their website and select 9mm filter, and then sort by price, lowest to highest and the Vauen pipes will pop up along with other brands.