PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion used to be my jam! I used to play that game day in and out. I even started modding it and making maps and stuff. Good times.

I always loved strategy games the best. My wife has a gaming laptop that she uses for the Sims, and I recently downloaded Age of Empires II on it. Man, that brought back the memories. That game still holds up, let me tell you!

Reactions: sardonicus87
Jun 27, 2016
Spun up another classic banger on Dreamcast the other night, in Test Drive Le Mans:
IMG_3588.JPG

Dusk falls & the lights turn on at 7PM:
IMG_3567.JPG

Driving through the night:
IMG_3571.JPG

Tire smoke & glowing rotors:
IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

Was hoping to catch a big back-fire in the pic, but I missed them all.
IMG_3574.JPG

Sunrise with some nice lens-flare:
IMG_3577.JPG

Look at this other guy, scuffing my vehicle!
IMG_3582.JPG

Replay mode doing a weird camera effect:
IMG_3559.JPG

This game is a little easier to jump into & drive compared to F355 Challenge, but can be tough to try & win a race. It holds up well & is still a lot of fun to run. Flying down the straights at dusk in the middle of the pack of 24 cars with their lights on & with different engine sounds & everything else going on, still looks & sounds great! Back in the day I went from its contemporaries GT3 & GT4 to this & always thought that this & F355 were better, & can't say that I ever want to play GT3 or GT4 these days. I would have to go to GT5.

Last edited:
Reactions: frozenchurchwarden

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion used to be my jam! I used to play that game day in and out. I even started modding it and making maps and stuff. Good times.

I always loved strategy games the best. My wife has a gaming laptop that she uses for the Sims, and I recently downloaded Age of Empires II on it. Man, that brought back the memories. That game still holds up, let me tell you!
The best part of Oblivion was turning it into a dark and twisted version of "The Sims". It's been SO long but, I had the big house with a pile of skulls at the foot of the bed and some dead elves nailed to the wall using arrows above the headboard. I played on PC btw, that made decoration way easier (console codes). Anyway, all the books, random piles of gold and food, random bones everywhere, mannequins with the collected weapons/armor sets, etc.

I think I spent more time playing "MTV Cribs" than I did actually doing any questing. That and using 100% Chameleon armor to do some Punk'd on random NPCs.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
The best part of Oblivion was turning it into a dark and twisted version of "The Sims". It's been SO long but, I had the big house with a pile of skulls at the foot of the bed and some dead elves nailed to the wall using arrows above the headboard. I played on PC btw, that made decoration way easier (console codes). Anyway, all the books, random piles of gold and food, random bones everywhere, mannequins with the collected weapons/armor sets, etc.

I think I spent more time playing "MTV Cribs" than I did actually doing any questing. That and using 100% Chameleon armor to do some Punk'd on random NPCs.
Hahaha, I don't remember playing homemaker on it... but that sounds like a pretty sweet crib you had! And messing with the NPCs was the best.

Reactions: sardonicus87

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
World of Tanks, Age of Empires 4, Company of Heroes 3, Dune, Battlebit. You can catch me on discord - same handle as here.

View attachment 242346

Which Dune game you playing? Spice wars?

Nice to see another RTS gamer on here. I'm a long time Starcraft player, I dabble in Age of Empires 2 and more recently been playing a lot of Beyond All Reason which is a newish free to play RTS game, like Total Annihilation from back in the day or Supreme Commander.

Reactions: David D. Davidson

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Which Dune game you playing? Spice wars?

Nice to see another RTS gamer on here. I'm a long time Starcraft player, I dabble in Age of Empires 2 and more recently been playing a lot of Beyond All Reason which is a newish free to play RTS game, like Total Annihilation from back in the day or Supreme Commander.
Yep the new spice wars... I say new its in forever beta, I've been playing it on and off for 6 or 8 months... Also a long time starcraft player, albiet the original one not starcraft 2 all that much.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Yep the new spice wars... I say new its in forever beta, I've been playing it on and off for 6 or 8 months... Also a long time starcraft player, albiet the original one not starcraft 2 all that much.
Nice I have Spice Wars as well played it a bunch when it first came to early access and haven’t touched it since.

Yeah I’m a Starcraft1/Brood War player as well

Now its for some STARFIELD

Reactions: David D. Davidson

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
You know what?
I'm secure enough in my masculinity and sexuality to admit that I was giddy like a schoolgirl when I saw that Rhapsody 2 and 3 were finally getting an English release. Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure was my jam when I was a dorky middle-schooler who liked musicals.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Avid gamer, have been since the start.

Love any RTS game with a strong base building element, or tactical RTS games like Steel Division.

Big on virtual reality for my flight sims - with a vr headset, a HOTAS, and rudder pedals, dogfighting is quite the blast. Expensive to get into but I love it. VR shooters are pretty fun too now and then.

Girlfriend and I are replaying through Elden Ring together right now and loving it.

Oh and I adore any base building or colony sim game like Rimworld. I can easily lose a day playing that.

I’m a PC guy but I have emulators hooked up to the tv through my pc to play any console games from Wii era backward.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Obsessed with Starfield at the moment. Playing on the Xbox and Asus rog ally.
How do you like the ally? I have a steam deck and love it, always curious how the competition is doing. Such a great platform, so many games benefit from being so easy to pick up and play without having to play at the desk.

Reactions: anotherbob

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Interesting timing to find this thread (again). I'm looking at finding an old Windows XP machine to play some old games on. I still have the original CDs but they don't work on the newer Windows despite any tricks I know.

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
I just picked up a Quest 3, the latest headset from Oculus-cum-Meta and I'm having a blast right now. My knees are absolutely ruined from dipping and ducking in shooters the last few days, and my neck is permanently kinked from watching fighters on my tail in IL-2 Sturmovik. Great fun, I wish I could show childhood me this technology, it would have blown my mind. I distinctly remember thinking how cool it would be to have "tv glasses" to watch movies anywhere in my home, and this is just a wee bit more advanced.

The mixed-reality stuff is pretty cool as well, although in a much more rough and experimental phase than vr. Makes me very excited for how the tech will progress over the next decade or two.

Interesting timing to find this thread (again). I'm looking at finding an old Windows XP machine to play some old games on. I still have the original CDs but they don't work on the newer Windows despite any tricks I know.
I wonder if you could run it on a virtual machine? I'm not the techiest person in the world, but I'm pretty sure I have friends who do that to play a ton of games that aren't supported any longer. Kind of a pain in the butt to set up, but there should be some youtube guides you could follow step by step to set it up.