PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That's why I started making my own. I bought one on Amazon which is mcie and golds ten pipes, but they tend to fall out if you're not careful, and the rest are kind of boring.
I’m sure those pads really help but are there other things that you’ve found your design addresses over the Amazon racks?

Reactions: Nevaditude

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I’m sure those pads really help but are there other things that you’ve found your design addresses over the Amazon racks?
The leather pads do alot to help out on keeping the pipes in place. What I've noticed on the Amazon racks is they don't tend to address someone havong larger bowls on their pipes and don't even think about having a really wide stem it wont fit, or at least it doesnt with some of the pipes i have. Also the angle that I have the pipes at keeps them pretty stable unlike my first rack from Amazon which makes me a nervous wreck everything I go to move a pipe around as I could have the pipes around come loose and go crashing to the ground.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The leather pads do alot to help out on keeping the pipes in place. What I've noticed on the Amazon racks is they don't tend to address someone havong larger bowls on their pipes and don't even think about having a really wide stem it wont fit, or at least it doesnt with some of the pipes i have. Also the angle that I have the pipes at keeps them pretty stable unlike my first rack from Amazon which makes me a nervous wreck everything I go to move a pipe around as I could have the pipes around come loose and go crashing to the ground.
Is the angle you have yours at more vertical?

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Beautiful work! I love the unstained wood and the sapwood running through the back. I’ve been wanting to try making one for years.

What finish did you use on the wood, and what finish on the leather? I assume you dyed the leather yourself. I’ve been concerned about both the wood finish or leather dye/finish coming off on my pipes if I ever tried to make one myself.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Beautiful work! I love the unstained wood and the sapwood running through the back. I’ve been wanting to try making one for years.

What finish did you use on the wood, and what finish on the leather? I assume you dyed the leather yourself. I’ve been concerned about both the wood finish or leather dye/finish coming off on my pipes if I ever tried to make one myself.
Thanks for the compliment. I've got a pretty simple way of doing the wood. 4 wet coats of shellac, I use the spray can, then a good sanding with 220 grit paper. After that I hit it with a good coat of Laquer, let that dry snap it once more with 220 and then a final top coat.

The leather I use is furniture or clothing grade leather that is restrained. So unless there was a bunch of water on the pipe the dye should never come off.

The next rack I'm working on will have leather that I will have dyed myself. Once the dye drys you wipe Atom wax over it, let it dry then buff it to a nice shine which also seal the leather.

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
Thanks for the compliment. I've got a pretty simple way of doing the wood. 4 wet coats of shellac, I use the spray can, then a good sanding with 220 grit paper. After that I hit it with a good coat of Laquer, let that dry snap it once more with 220 and then a final top coat.

The leather I use is furniture or clothing grade leather that is restrained. So unless there was a bunch of water on the pipe the dye should never come off.

The next rack I'm working on will have leather that I will have dyed myself. Once the dye drys you wipe Atom wax over it, let it dry then buff it to a nice shine which also seal the leather.
Thank you for running through your process! That is a lot of finish work. It’s a beautiful result. Is the lacquer something like Danish Oil? I assume not polyurethane?

I’ll have to look into that Atom wax; I’d never heard of it. I do some leather work with dyeing my own veg tan leather (with Fiebing’s Pro Dye) and I’ve had the dye rub off quite a bit with finishes like carnauba cream, which makes me paranoid about putting expensive pipes on it. I’ve had better luck with Resolene as a sealing solution but then you lose that nice leather smell.

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Thank you for running through your process! That is a lot of finish work. It’s a beautiful result. Is the lacquer something like Danish Oil? I assume not polyurethane?

I’ll have to look into that Atom wax; I’d never heard of it. I do some leather work with dyeing my own veg tan leather (with Fiebing’s Pro Dye) and I’ve had the dye rub off quite a bit with finishes like carnauba cream, which makes me paranoid about putting expensive pipes on it. I’ve had better luck with Resolene as a sealing solution but then you lose that nice leather smell.
It's just plain old laquer. You can buy it in gallons and use a large sprayer, or in a rattle can for the smaller projects. I buy mine at lowes.

Resolene also works well for sealing leather. Fiebings makes Atom wax so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I buy it at my local leather shop.

Attachments

• 17086022120135123668537047771497.jpg
    17086022120135123668537047771497.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 4

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
It's just plain old laquer. You can buy it in gallons and use a large sprayer, or in a rattle can for the smaller projects. I buy mine at lowes.

Resolene also works well for sealing leather. Fiebings makes Atom wax so it shouldn't be too hard to find. I buy it at my local leather shop.
Thank you for the info and the photos. That’s really helpful. Spraying sounds much easier than rubbing it on by hand.

If you don’t mind me asking one more question: why use both shellac and lacquer? Why not just one or the other?

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Thank you for the info and the photos. That’s really helpful. Spraying sounds much easier than rubbing it on by hand.

If you don’t mind me asking one more question: why use both shellac and lacquer? Why not just one or the other?

I worked in an antique refinishing shop long ago. Every piece of furniture we refinished would be sealed with shellac as an insurance policy to make sure the old finish, if there was some still hiding, would not interfere with the new topcoats and sanding sealers we used.

Shellac is an amazing sealer that is very forgiving in the event that there is something on the wood that would cause the lacquer to have issues with adhering. It also dries ridiculously fast so you can build up coats quickly, and it sands smoothly. Lacquer also sands nicely, but in my experience it takes longer for it to cure before you can give it a good sanding.
I have done a few items using shellac as a sealer and topcoat and they come out looking great, the only issue is shellac will come off if you get alcohol on it so thats why I top my racks with lacquer.