PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I worked in an antique refinishing shop long ago. Every piece of furniture we refinished would be sealed with shellac as an insurance policy to make sure the old finish, if there was some still hiding, would not interfere with the new topcoats and sanding sealers we used.

Shellac is an amazing sealer that is very forgiving in the event that there is something on the wood that would cause the lacquer to have issues with adhering. It also dries ridiculously fast so you can build up coats quickly, and it sands smoothly. Lacquer also sands nicely, but in my experience it takes longer for it to cure before you can give it a good sanding.
I have done a few items using shellac as a sealer and topcoat and they come out looking great, the only issue is shellac will come off if you get alcohol on it so thats why I top my racks with lacquer.
That is some expert advice! I never would have guessed that reason. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions. Your pipe racks are beautiful. I hope to make some of my own someday.

Reactions: revnatorade

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
That is some expert advice! I never would have guessed that reason. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions. Your pipe racks are beautiful. I hope to make some of my own someday.
Thanks. Feel free to reach out on questions you may have. I'm always happy to help out.

Reactions: briarfoxx

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
Can you give us a hint on what the next one will look like?
1000006932.jpg
Those are the templates
And here's the link to its current state.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
View attachment 290587
Those are the templates
And here's the link to its current state.
Thanks! How many racks have you made?

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee

revnatorade

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I got caught up with the wood questions and forgot to comment on your Pete Geek mugs. Did you get those from the current order going on or did they do a previous one? I put in an order for the round belly in green. They look great on your shelf. I can’t wait to see mine in person.
The current order. They are very nice mugs, you're gonna love it.