PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I've had no problem with either my Petersons nor Johs, but this is not a minor defect. No one wants to settle down to a pleasant smoke and end up with their hands and maybe their clothes covered with residue. It shouldn't matter if the pipe is over heated or if the weather is hot. Apparently this is a problem in pipe finishing when it is done too quickly or with mis-application of the stain.

I can understand not wanting to get into a quality control discussion with the maker, but you'd be doing the pipe maker and potential customers a favor. I'd contact them with this picture and full details about the pipe, and see what happens. Otherwise, you probably have to refinish it at your own cost and expense of time.
I’m going to email the maker as well as the place of purchase. Good advice.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
I’ve only had that issue with two brand new pipes, and while I won’t mention their names they rhyme with Peterson’s and Johs, lol.

I wiped them down thoroughly with an old t-shirt rag after each smoke and it eventually stopped coloring my hands but the fatal issue for both was stain inside the bowl, shank and especially the mortise. Just couldn’t get it out and believe me I tried everything. You can usually get the bowl remedied and the outside isn’t a huge issue, but man, that foul taste in the shank and mortise was brutal and persistent.
The same thing happened to me, stain in the shank and mortise, nasty taste. I scrubbed it with everclear, smoked it a few times and finally gave up on the pipe and gave it to my friend. He packed it with tobacco, attached it to his vacuum cleaner and fired it up. He says the nasty flavor is gone and it smokes great!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I will. I received a free pipe from P&C, a Casillero, and it would stain a paper towel just sitting on it. It was horrible. I wiped it down with Murphy's Oil.
The drawers in my pipe and tobacco cabinet are lined with shelf liner. The dark stains seen in the pic are some of the stains left by the Casillero. Funny thing is, it wouldn't rub of on my hands.

IMG_20220724_060747.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I have a blue Savinelli Arcobaleno 606 KS that smokes well.

However, the stain is coming off where my thumb usually rests and on the shank where I tend to grab the pipe. The stain on the rim came off first, but I liked the contrast of the wooden rim with the blue pipe.

It's not a deal breaker as the pipe was a gift and I enjoy everything else about it. However, I'm reluctant to get a stained pipe in the future.

Attachments

• 20220724_110440.jpg
    20220724_110440.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Steddy
Mar 1, 2014
Interesting. I've never seen a cheap pipe bleed like that.
It's just as likely to be handmade as a factory pipe, individuals tend to make more mistakes than longstanding factory methods.

Reactions: anotherbob

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Hey all shitty pipes …..but it’s uptoyoutobuyoneandfindoutthemaker.
Why did you bother posting this thread?
Why did I bother posting this thread?
Look at the title and the picture. I knew it would get some ? and some ?.

If I go to a restaurant I really like and get an off meal I don’t post a bad review on Yelp. I let the server and/or Manager know.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Why did I bother posting this thread?
Look at the title and the picture. I knew it would get some ? and some ?.

If I go to a restaurant I really like and get an off meal I don’t post a bad review on Yelp. I let the server and/or Manager know.
Well you posted here, so not sure your point. That being said i didn’t know there was a rule against whatever, i suppose the parent company doesn’t want someone that might be a sponsor to get called out.

Reactions: romaso

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well you posted here, so not sure your point. That being said i didn’t know there was a rule against whatever, i suppose the parent company doesn’t want someone that might be a sponsor to get called out.
very likely but also because before they put in this rule there would always pop up a get the pitchforks because of this issue that turns out easily fixed. Honestly every few months someone would have a my order is four days late I am never ordering from those bastards again. Then the day after they post either they got it or my favorite they accidentally had it shipped to the office where it was for a few days.
Kind of reminds me of how if you look at history there are occasionally laws that sound silly and get repealed only for the law to be brought back when they find out why it was needed. (not saying that happens all the time, but some rules only make sense when you see why they put it in place. Not even saying this is the same thing but smaller, just reminds me of it.)

Reactions: AJL67

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
very likely but also because before they put in this rule there would always pop up a get the pitchforks because of this issue that turns out easily fixed. Honestly every few months someone would have a my order is four days late I am never ordering from those bastards again. Then the day after they post either they got it or my favorite they accidentally had it shipped to the office where it was for a few days.
Kind of reminds me of how if you look at history there are occasionally laws that sound silly and get repealed only for the law to be brought back when they find out why it was needed. (not saying that happens all the time, but some rules only make sense when you see why they put it in place. Not even saying this is the same thing but smaller, just reminds me of it.)
Agreed it’s easier to blanket then have / trust the mods to handle exceptions to your liking.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Agreed it’s easier to blanket then have / trust the mods to handle exceptions to your liking.
The bigger a group is the less you can leave things up to individual judgement. Additionally I wish I could remember the name of the term for a rule or law where it's written more strictly then it's intended to be enforced, under the reasoning that when you do have to use the rule or law it leaves no room for debate or loophole finding. One example given to me by a local fire marshal is in my local area according to the law on the books you are one hundred percent not allowed to set a fire on your property. Yet lots of people set fires on their property burning leaves or just a fire pit for chilling around. No one cares about it. But when an idiot does something stupid they can fine them or try to stop it without having to find the law prohibiting the specific way that person is being stupid.

Reactions: AJL67
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
The bigger a group is the less you can leave things up to individual judgement. Additionally I wish I could remember the name of the term for a rule or law where it's written more strictly then it's intended to be enforced, under the reasoning that when you do have to use the rule or law it leaves no room for debate or loophole finding. One example given to me by a local fire marshal is in my local area according to the law on the books you are one hundred percent not allowed to set a fire on your property. Yet lots of people set fires on their property burning leaves or just a fire pit for chilling around. No one cares about it. But when an idiot does something stupid they can fine them or try to stop it without having to find the law prohibiting the specific way that person is being stupid.

Very dangerous, slippery slope stuff here..