PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yeah, and if J Alan made it, it would be $2,000. It’s all relative and all debatable. Pricing is an organic beast with many extraneous variables.

But, what I can tell you is that it’s certainly more expensive at SP than it would be from the carver. Just like any pipe.

FWIW, I put one of Angelo’s pipes, a danish style pot, in Jeff’s (aka J Alan) hands at the pipe show, and before looking at the nomenclature he asked me if it was made by Tom Eltang.

A prominent collector from Seattle I know also made only 2 purchases at the show. A Lee von Erck, and an Il Cerchio.

IMO opinion Angelo’s pipes are well priced for what they are. Others will disagree, and we will all be right, because the only person that has any tangible impact on will be the person making (or not making) the purchase.

Hi Alaskan,

I certainly understand all the differences and the reasons for prices.

I believe it’s more important to make sure our new fellow pipe smokers understand and in the beginning they don’t.

I’m just sharing to make sure they understand, not you, I know you get it. :)

So for the newer pipe smoker, Price doesn’t mean a better smoker, and Fred Hanna wrote up a nice article on this subject.

The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking.

Regardless of experience at smoking, who can really look at a pipe, and say for the amount paid, it’s going to be worth it, and an excellent smoker? Many have paid expensive prices on pipes, that were just ok smokers.

The difficult reality is that pipe prices are extremely varied, and it’s always a gamble on what is going to be worth the costs.

P.S. The Lovat you scored at show, that’s really nice by the way, congrats, and enjoy it, and stay well! :)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hi Alaskan,

I certainly understand all the differences and the reasons for prices.

I believe it’s more important to make sure our new fellow pipe smokers understand and in the beginning they don’t.

I’m just sharing to make sure they understand, not you, I know you get it. :)

So for the newer pipe smoker, Price doesn’t mean a better smoker, and Fred Hanna wrote up a nice article on this subject.

The Myth of Brand and Maker in Pipesmoking.

Regardless of experience at smoking, who can really look at a pipe, and say for the amount paid, it’s going to be worth it, and an excellent smoker? Many have paid expensive prices on pipes, that were just ok smokers.

The difficult reality is that pipe prices are extremely varied, and it’s always a gamble on what is going to be worth the costs.

P.S. The Lovat you scored at show, that’s really nice by the way, congrats, and enjoy it, and stay well! :)
Agreed! I’ve ranted at length on the topic myself!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Agreed! I’ve ranted at length on the topic myself!

Nice write up! 👍

I’ve been looking for a fancy Genod about 2 years now... LOL 😆

I wish Sebastian made nicer lookers, they tend to look drab, and he’s not even an old guy, so what gives with all the old fart looking Genod pipes. LOL 😆

Now, if Sebastian made one looking like that Lovat you just scored, man, I’d be all over that. ;)

P.S. This reminds me, time once again to scour the net for a Genod.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice write up! 👍

I’ve been looking for a fancy Genod about 2 years now... LOL 😆

I wish Sebastian made nicer lookers, they tend to look drab, and he’s not even an old guy, so what gives with all the old fart looking Genod pipes. LOL 😆

Now, if Sebastian made one looking like that Lovat you just scored, man, I’d be all over that. ;)

P.S. This reminds me, time once again to scour the net for a Genod.
I look at basically all of them and have found 4 or 5 lookers over the years. Most recently this one a couple weeks ago ($52 brand new). Also found a little bent opera estate at the Chicago show with some epic birdseye.

2404186E-EF31-462A-BC40-EB9D50D175C2.jpeg89EF29BC-41C6-4241-9F5D-CD6DFA68F913.jpeg

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Y
Wait, that top pipe was $52 brand new?! Where can the rest of us find a pipe like that?
You just have to be willing to travel to a pipe show. Do be sure to check the table for scanning red laser dots before you stand between the pipes and the suspiciously smooth-sided, 1M cubic section of forest on stilts up in the corner of the convention hall...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
OK wow, that’s a comically great deal and such a good looking pipe. Let me know if you ever get tired of it! :)
They’re out there, man! With vulcanite stems as well they are tough to beat, value wise. Never had one that didn’t smoke great as well as pass the pipe cleaner test. One of the best value brands in pipes IMO. If you just watch the drops every week, one with some sexy grain will pop up eventually. I have 4 or 5 that have grain you’d expect to see on pipes that are 10x the price.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
They’re out there, man! With vulcanite stems as well they are tough to beat, value wise. Never had one that didn’t smoke great as well as pass the pipe cleaner test. One of the best value brands in pipes IMO. If you just watch the drops every week, one with some sexy grain will pop up eventually. I have 4 or 5 that have grain you’d expect to see on pipes that are 10x the price.
Alrighty I’ll be on the hunt! I read your long PSA which was very helpful, especially after seeing the pipes you’ve got in your collection. Has your opinion changed much after 4 or so more years of experience?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alrighty I’ll be on the hunt! I read your long PSA which was very helpful, especially after seeing the pipes you’ve got in your collection. Has your opinion changed much after 4 or so more years of experience?
Nope. There is certainly something to be said for the stem work on higher end pipes, but aside from that you are paying for art and grain. Which is fine, but certainly not necessary.

A few of my Genods, and a Ropp cutty for good measure. I paid a total of $440 for all these pipes combined. An average of $73 a piece.

D7EC235F-619C-4932-8CA5-A888960D5D78.jpeg

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I worked in the "fine furniture" world for 20 years (see avatar). I can tell you that after dealing with specialty hardwoods dealers, artisanal sawyers, and other gatekeepers of "the good stuff" - the most beautiful board of ruler-straight grain black cherry I ever saw was in a truck sized pile at a millwrights shop waiting to be turned into molding.

Mimmo et al do extraordinary work to get the best ebuchons available from any given root ball, but it's a gamble best offset by volume. The older factories with rooms and rooms full of curing blocks are much more likely to have more extraordinary wood in there, just waiting.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Holy Crap, where’s the bloody pics at? LOL 😆

I was hoping these things would roll in like a flood, and we’d get to see massive amounts of pics.

Ok, excuse me for living out on a rock here, in one of the most remote places in the world! LOL, meaning, I don’t know what the flip goes on in the world, but I thought this was a major event in the pipe world?

So where the flip are all the pics action at? hmm 🤔

Thanks for agreeing Capt. Picard! LOL 😆

View attachment 220797
Check out the #chicagopipeshow2023 hashtag on Instagram. And while you’re at it, be sure to follow @thechicagopipeshow.

Reactions: PipeIT