PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Frank has estates and nee pipes. He suggests the Altanay or Bauer. He has barling
He is in the eu

Thank, you! I have bought a couple of Altinays from him in the past, With spousal pressure around I had missed him. He is the "author" of a very famous pipe packing method, a personality in the euro pipe scene. Those African Meer Barling seem really nice.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have an african meer. A barling. Its pre colored because they don’t change color. Mine is older and it smokes just fine. Id probably use it more but Im not crazy about billiards. I have an Altinay. I like it. The bit is a little rounder/fatter than I prefer but its a good smoker and accepts a 9mm filter which is an option I like.

Last edited:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They do it just takes longer because of the extra density. It's a pity that the meerschaum mine in the US was never used by pipe carvers. It's density may have been finer than deposits found in Turkey but the world will likely never know.
According to information on the geologyscience.com Website, sepiolite (another name for the complex magnesium silicate known by the Germans as meerschaum) deposits may be found in the United States in California, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.

Damn shame we don't have American carvers producing meers.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Do you think Altinay makes the best military mounts right now or are there others that you’d recommend?
I have several Altinays as well as several other meers of various carvers/brands. IMO Altinay is of the highest quality construction and I have experienced no issues with any of them.

That said, I agree with Embers that meer prices have gone up considerably, so if price is an issue you may want to do a lot of shopping around.

What I would primarily recommend Altinay for is some of their unique styles, especially the pencil shank models and a few others they occasionally have, such as some of their freehand styles and certain of their bamboo models...and even Canadians...for some reason I don't seem to notice those either from other meer sellers. If you want something like that, you're probably not going to find it anywhere else. But if you're looking for most standard/classic shapes there are lots of options.

PS: and since you asked specifically about military mounts, those too I don't normally seem to see elsewhere for some reason. I do have one Altinay..it's very well made...one of my favorites.

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_1512_2021-03-09-800x571.jpg

Last edited:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have several Altinays as well as several other meers of various carvers/brands. IMO Altinay is of the highest quality construction and I have experienced no issues with any of them.

That said, I agree with Embers that meer prices have gone up considerably, so if price is an issue you may want to do a lot of shopping around.

What I would primarily recommend Altinay for is some of their unique styles, especially the pencil shank models and a few others they occasionally have, such as some of their freehand styles and certain of their bamboo models...and even Canadians...for some reason I don't seem to notice those either from other meer sellers. If you want something like that, you're probably not going to find it anywhere else. But if you're looking for most standard/classic shapes there are lots of options.

PS: and since you asked specifically about military mounts, those too I don't normally seem to see elsewhere for some reason. I do have one Altinay..it's very well made...one of my favorites.

View attachment 271017
Thanks!

What you’ve posted is pretty much what I’m a looking for, a straight army mount billiard (sans rim).

Reactions: brian64