PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I have several Altinays as well as several other meers of various carvers/brands. IMO Altinay is of the highest quality construction and I have experienced no issues with any of them.

That said, I agree with Embers that meer prices have gone up considerably, so if price is an issue you may want to do a lot of shopping around.

What I would primarily recommend Altinay for is some of their unique styles, especially the pencil shank models and a few others they occasionally have, such as some of their freehand styles and certain of their bamboo models...and even Canadians...for some reason I don't seem to notice those either from other meer sellers. If you want something like that, you're probably not going to find it anywhere else. But if you're looking for most standard/classic shapes there are lots of options.

PS: and since you asked specifically about military mounts, those too I don't normally seem to see elsewhere for some reason. I do have one Altinay..it's very well made...one of my favorites.

View attachment 271017
I asked him about a pipe like this and he said it’ll be $400. Probably fair but it’s out of my price range.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I asked him about a pipe like this and he said it’ll be $400. Probably fair but it’s out of my price range.

Yeah, unfortunately those federal reserve notes keep losing value...can't imagine why.

Trouble is you don't see many military mount meers for some reason...and if you do find one elsewhere it may not be any less expensive.

Let us know if you find one.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yeah, unfortunately those federal reserve notes keep losing value...can't imagine why.

Trouble is you don't see many military mount meers for some reason...and if you do find one elsewhere it may not be any less expensive.

Let us know if you find one.

I will! I’m going to ask Dulger and Ali and see what they say.

Reactions: brian64

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I received the pipe today (as today is the day (Epiphany) when Christmas presents are exchanged in my country).
I am very impressed with the bit, wide and thin, much better than any bit of any of my meerschaums. I´d buy a few spare ones to fit my small collection of army mount meerschaums if it were possible.
Just to let you know the end result from my initial question :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I am very impressed with the bit, wide and thin, much better than any bit of any of my meerschaums.
These are made by Altinay and that is one of the features I love about their pipes...in my experience their stem work is way above average for meers.

• Love
Reactions: Said.ALTINAY

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
These are made by Altinay and that is one of the features I love about their pipes...in my experience their stem work is way above average for meers.
Most of my meers are Altinay, and this is the best bit I´ve had from them; they have improved them very much in this Barling series, or maybe lately, as I think I have not bought a new Altinay made pipe since 2020.

Reactions: brian64

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Most of my meers are Altinay, and this is the best bit I´ve had from them; they have improved them very much in this Barling series, or maybe lately, as I think I have not bought a new Altinay made pipe since 2020.
Bits are extremely subjective but I’m glad you like the one you got. A bit I may like may not be one that you would like and vice versa.