PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
M. Dulger and Ali have been turning out some nice ones.

View attachment 271001View attachment 271002
The non military mount versions in those pocket cases scare me. That’s a looot of taking apart and putting back together for the permanent plastic tenon pipes. I’ve actually purposely stayed away from the ones that come in those cases for that reason. The military mount ones should be fine though.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I won't touch them. From posts here they appear to take much longer to color than many brands. The brand's accountability for defects seems a bit lax as well.

View attachment 270991
My Altinay is coloring well, is wonderfully built, and they have been responsive to any questions I’ve had. To be fair, I only have one of their pipes so it’s all purely anecdotal. I just think that I can get pipes of equal quality (and cased) for around $100 less. I would happily pay another $132 for an Altinay billiard but it seems those days are gone.

Cloozoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 1, 2023
You know those smaller $50-$100 smooth/lattice meers that normally have the screw push/pull tenons? The first carver to sell those at around the same price but with the more permanent Altinay, IMP, Altinok style tenons will make a killing.

Literally just mass producing run of the mill smooth/lattice meers with this kind of tenon for $100 a pop and they’d sell like hot cakes.
View attachment 270773

Agreed. And a simple, ebonite stem, while they're, at it as an option for us "don't smoke acrylic stems" people.

• Love
Reactions: LeafErikson

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Interesting. I usually use a bristled cleaner or a paper towel on the chamber. How do you avoid too much cake without cleaning the chamber after smoking?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Interesting. I usually use a bristled cleaner or a paper towel on the chamber. How do you avoid too much cake without cleaning the chamber after smoking?
I've often wondered how folks build cake. I've removed some awfully thick build up from estate pieces but can never get much more than a film.

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Paging @didimauw lol. Some of your pipes you've posted pics of have been cake monsters. Have you caked a meer up?
I've talked about it with Kevin, even about blackening the rim of a meerschaum but I've achieved neither. I used to meticulously clean pipes after each smoke but after a bit of experimentation, I've found it to be completely unnecessary.

Reactions: seanv